patches's mom is nervous

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by catmommy2039, Apr 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catmommy2039

catmommy2039 New Member

Hello, my cat's name is Patches and he was as just diagnosed with diabetes on 3/28/15. I am very nervous about giving him the insulin. I have 2 other cats and I need to know how do I keep him from eating the other cats food and water. Yesterday he snuck in the room and started to eat their food.
    So now I take the food off the floor. Any advice on how to make it all work out for everyone?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

All mine get fed separately. One in each bedroom and two in the bathroom with a baby gate between them.

Welcome. Most of use here test our cat's blood glucose with a human meter before each shot and periodically between shots.
    What are yo feeding/ A low-carb canned is best. A prescription food is not required.
    What type insulin and what dose are you giving?

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    It can be easier to feed everyone the same thing - low carb, canned or raw, over the counter food. Cat Info has a downloadable food list with nutrition breakdowns.

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

If you switch all of your cats over to a low carb canned or raw food diet, it will prevent Patches from sneaking food. Plus it also reduces the chances of any of the other cats developing feline diabetes.

I have 7 cats. They are all fed Friskies canned food.

5. catmommy2039

catmommy2039 New Member

Thank you for all the advice. I will be starting his medicine on Saturday. I ordered friskies can food. Last night he tried to pull the other cats dish off the counter. He is having a hard time adjusting. I swear he looks at me and I know he is cursing me out in his mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.