Paté choices other than Fancy Feast Classic?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tom & Thomas (GA), Oct 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

I'm looking for low-carb/high-protein alternatives to Fancy Feast Classic patés. I'd like to branch out to other wet foods, especially if I can find something more nutritious, not that Fancy Feast is so bad. Friskies I figure would be no upgrade.

My cats won't eat anything except patés. If the food is flaked or chunked, they just lap up the juice and leave the rest behind. They will, however, eat the Grilled Fancy Feast varieties, maybe because the chunks are so smushy. Since not so low-carb, we only break open a can or two of this per week.

There is, alas, no way to filter any of the various nutrition lists by texture of food. So I'm asking for suggestions.

Crave patés they will usually tolerate. This was just released like a year ago and is not yet in Dr Pierson's chart. Packaged like Sheba but, according to catfooddb.com, higher in protein, lower carb and better ingredients.

Dr Elsey's wet food they don't recognize as edible. Twice I've tried the variety pack of cans. I'm writing this off as a failed, and expensive, experiment.

Any ideas? Thanks! - Tom

Jill & Jade likes this.
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Tom, I know some members feed Weruva and Tiki Cat brands. I just looked up the home pages and I think that there might be something of interest there for you.

3. George and Bert

George and Bert Member

There are many quality brands.
    You may try Blue Buffalo in Chicken only,
    Nulo in Turk/Chick & Beef/Lamb combo
    Wellness Chicken..add water or too dry
    Wysong Chicken ( their dry touted as minimum carbs)
    Rawz 68% Chicken (All profits donated Rawz project)
    Evenger's makes a good product as well as Health Extensions
    Comment...would love to see EVO 95% come back.

4. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

Thanks to you both, Lou and George, for the useful suggestions

I didn't know Tiki Cat had a paté ("Mousse"). We tried their cans at one point, without success.

Weruva such has a confusing product line, but I very much like their page dedicated to nutritional value of the patés, with ME, as fed, and dry matter.

The Nulo patés should be an easy grab from PetSmart. But George's list reminds that I should go back to the local grain-and-feed store that carries several of these brands.

I bought a couple of the last bags of EVO's smelly herring & salmon kibble to use as treats.

5. Idjit's mom

Well, if you find something that looks interesting, you can always blend them up and add some water or broth to make pates. What we do for our cats! :cat:

6. racn1320

racn1320 Member

has anyone else noticed the new friskies pates? seems like my cat drinks more water now??

7. JeanW

JeanW Member

I’ve had really good luck with Nature’s Logic. Very high quality food.

Carol & Murphy (GA) likes this.
  8. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

Thanks, Jean. (What a beautiful cat!)

I get confused by all the "nature" this and "nature" that foods but I should try to sort them out. Oh, the Nature's Logic site says their wet food is for "intermittent or supplemental feeding only"???

JeanW likes this.
  9. JeanW

JeanW Member

Thank you! My kitty is as sweet as she is pretty.

I asked Nature’s Logic about that and it has something to do with - I think - the legalities of what their site can say. I will look for their response and try to post it here later today. It’s the one food that has helped my kitty can several much needed pounds.

10. JeanW

JeanW Member

What I said above isn’t quite right. Here’s the email response I received back in June from the founder of Nature’s Logic, Scott Freeman, when I asked them that question -

Dear Jean,

We only substantiate by AAFCO Feeding Trials and not by adding synthetic vitamin/mineral packs to say it meets the AAFCO Nutrient Profile. Once the feeding trial is completed, then the AAFCO Statement for feeding trial substantiation goes on the cans. We have completed those trials for our dry dog and cat and canned dog, our dog frozen, but the cat can testing is not completed yet but is in progress and doing well at UC Davis in California. The reproduction stage of the trial is complete which substantiates all the diets for maintenance and reproduction. The growth stage is still in process but almost complete. We know that will pass, too, and be complete soon. As soon as the growth stage is completed, we will begin the process of changing our labels to say the diets are complete and balanced.

They are absolutely safe to use as much as you want.

Sincerely,
    Scott Freeman
    Nature’s Logic

11. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

Ah, OK. That's a reasonable story. I'll give Nature's Logic a try. Thanks again.

JeanW likes this.
  12. JeanW

JeanW Member

You’re welcome. I hope it works well for you.

Do you order from Chewy.com? If your cats won’t / don’t eat what you order they will often let you return it or refund your money.

Paigeworthy likes this.
  13. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

We've had good results with Purina Pro Plan True Nature Grain-free pates (oof, that's a mouthful!). You do have to make sure the can says grain-free, as I believe there are some varieties that aren't. A few are listed in Dr. Pierson's list - very low carb and medium-ish price point (I compare everything to Tiki Cat for reference). Petsmart and Petco carry it, but it's cheaper if you buy in bulk from Amazon.

14. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

Just saw your thread after asking about Crave. Looked up the catfooddb.com site and see there are a few that are 0 carb. Is this a reliable website? My cats are growing bored with the FF pates . Spoiled kitties.

15. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

I like CatFoodDB as a supplement to Dr Pierson's list. The site rates products based on nutritional values and quality of ingredients. It includes a very broad range of foods, dry as well as wet. The big downside is that the numbers are mostly, if not solely, derived from the published GA, and you might not agree with her views of what is and isn't good to put in a food. At the very least, she spares you squinting to read a can's list of ingredients, and provides some rough basis for comparing foods.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  16. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

Appreciate the info, thank you!!

17. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

Thanks, ZulusMom. That is quite the confusing product line but I found the varieties you recommend.

I do buy from Chewy.com, Jean, but I hate returning things unless broken or defective. It just doesn't seem quite right to me. Food that doesn't work out for us I leave in the kitchen at work with a "free" sign.

JeanW likes this.
  18. KrisQ

KrisQ Member

Hi Tom & Thomas

Halo - Spots Pate. My cat was diagnosed last Thursday with a BG of 500. I immediately switched to canned Halo and this morning, her BG was 229. And she loves the food :)

Jill & Jade and Idjit's mom like this.
  19. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

There is no reason to lose money on stuff that your cat won't eat. Chewy has PLENTY of money — they are owned by PetSmart — and have that return policy as a customer-retention good faith effort. They will ask you to donate it, just as you already do. But don't bankrupt yourself trying to find the right food!

Jill & Jade likes this.
  20. JeanW

JeanW Member

That’s a great idea! But not an available option for me. I imagine any shelter would take it.

21. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

Ugh, google led me to unhappiness around the acquisition, with a couple companies pulling out because of loss of independence. And Chewy now inherits PETA's strong dislike of PetSmart. I hate having to figure when I should and shouldn't care about stuff like this.

Paigeworthy, I assume your cat is named after Amy's daughter?

KrisQ, Thanks for the pointer to the Halo patés. I now have a good number of foods to try out.

KrisQ and JeanW like this.
  22. JeanW

JeanW Member

What does this mean? Especially the part about PETA?

23. Idjit's mom

That is so good to hear! Good progress, I hope for further progress and getting Kitty to better health. Woo hoo!

KrisQ likes this.
  24. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

This is a topic near and dear to my heart, my cat has IBD and I need to avoid carrageenan and the gums
    Other brands to look at: Ziwipeak, Instinct, Bravo, and Koha
    I think Nature's Logic and Ziwipeak are the highest quality but gotta go with what the cat will eat

Jill & Jade and JeanW like this.
  25. JeanW

JeanW Member

@Carol & Murphy thanks for this info :bighug: I’ve been looking for another food of comparable quality to Nature’s Logic so I can switch off. After looking at Ziwipeak website I agree that it’s very high quality.

Right now my two kitties will only eat Nature’s Variety Instinct but it’s not my first choice for them. I will try the Ziwipeak.

Thanks!

26. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

Oh my, I just looked up Natures Logic on Chewy.com because my cats (2) turn their nose up a lot at Fancy Feast and Friskies. It is around $50 for 24 cans. I am stillin shock over how much the entire strips, syringes, and insulin is going to cost me monthly. Humans at least have insurance and HSA accounts to offset some of the cost, but this is all out of pocket. To add to complicating factors, I am worried about my non diabetic kitty loosing too much weight over new diet being served up. Wow. Cat food/Cat medical companies have us all at their mercy.

JeanW and Paigeworthy like this.
  27. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Girl PREACH.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  28. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

River’s full name is River Song. She is named after a character on Doctor Who :cat:

Carol & Murphy (GA) likes this.
  29. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Nature's Logic is quite expensive, as is Ziwipeak. And of course, my cat has decided he no longer likes them.
    I do recommend looking into Koha and Rawz, Bravo. I"m not so keen on it, but the one food Murphy will always eat - Sheba perfect portions. I think Nature's variety instinct is good - I like that the veggies are put in whole, so I always remove the peas and carrots. What's frustrating is to find a food you (and cat) likes, then they change the formula or discontinue the line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.