PAW TESTING -depth of lancing device One-touch

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bonnie & Kyndra, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

I am having trouble getting a reading with the One Touch mini using just the lancet on Kyndra's ear so want to try using the Lancing Device on her paw pad. Does anyone do this and can suggest what depth setting they use?? This is brand new to me (first does this morning) and would like to get some baseline readings for her.

I think the problem is that I am not getting enough blood (I get an error on the meter) and am wasting lancets and strips.

thanks,
    Bonnie

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: using the lancer in One Touch?

hi again!

just thought I'd add this link for u from the Health Links...has tons of links to hometesting tips and videos, mainly all for ears, but in case u had not seen it yet.......I was looking for paw testing info for u,,,I know its in this board somewhere :D

Health Links for Hometesting tips and vids:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=287

3. Ronnie & Luna

4. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

Re: PAW TESTING - using the lancer in One Touch?

Thanks Ronnie! I saw that while browsing - don't know how I got there! lol! But this device has depth settings and I am not sure what to set it at so it will penetrate far enough but not too far. ;-/ Was hoping someone had experience. Should I ask on the Lantus board?

5. Ronnie & Luna

Im not aware of anyone in there who paw tests, but u can ask in ur current thread there,

keep this one going, you may get some replies thru the day.

6. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Why not try the lancet device on the ear first?

7. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

I thought of that but would be really afraid that if I had the depth set wrong it would go right thru her ear :shock: Do you use this sort of device?

8. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

Steph and Cuddles used to paw test Cuddles. I think she set her lancet device on the deepest settings. I'm not sure how often she frequents the Health board anymore but you could send her a PM and ask her for her input.

as far as poking thru the ear, that's kinda why you hold a cotton ball or a rice sock or even a washcloth behind the ear for support. and yes, occasionally you will go thru the ear but there really isn't any harm in that. occasionally if i catch an edge of an ear i do that. i just have to sip the blood from the inside rather than the outside.

fwiw, my lancet device has depth settings of 1 to 4, 4 being the deepest. that's where my vet told me to set it and that's where i've left it set.....for 3 1/2 years now :)

9. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

OK, thanks on both. I''ll try the deeper settings. I guess if it is meant to go into a human's finger, a cat's pad might be even tougher. :)

I'll try that for a pre-shot tonight and and then after her 2nd dose (that will be tonight).

thanks for everyone's help!

B&K

10. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

When testing an ear, just make sure you back up the ear very firmly. Otherwise, the ear will deflect and not be pierced. I use a cotton cosmetic pad to back up and use the pad to apply pressure afterwards. I frequently go through through the ear. I always start with the deepest setting. You can reduce it later. Some of my cats need the deepest setting and some the lightest and some in between. My experience is that the ears learn how to bleed and it gets easier to get blood.

11. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

Thanks Larry. I think this is part of my problem - not being "firm" enough and allowing her to pull away as well. I have a meditation class this evening (my last one so I better "get it!) before her next dose so I will work on being more calm and focused.

Heading out for now so will check back this evening and let you know how I do - and if more questions :)

Bonnie

12. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Bonnie

Do Lou and I paw test but I just hold the lancet in my hand and its take us trial and error to get it right :thumbup

13. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

Hi Lisa,

So do you stick multiple times at a sitting until you get a good prick & drop? I just tried that with Kyndra (two pricks but this time she pulled away before I could get the strip to her foot). I see how this could be tedious :/ Maybe while she is sleeping?

I read to use the back foot - do you find Lou/you has a preference?

Btw, just PM'd you :)

Bonnie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.