Paws - just diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MrPawsKitten, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrPawsKitten

MrPawsKitten Member

New to the forum, new to having a cat with feline diabetes. It's all so confusing and scary. But I think we're getting a handle on it all, with many thanks to all the resources we've found here!

We are a two-cat household, Paws and Smokey, both 13.5 year old neutered males. They are cousins (their mothers were sisters), born two weeks apart, and were rescued from Key Biscayne in Miami.

Paws has a grade 3 heart murmur, and has had constipation issues for years. And as of Monday, we now know Paws has diabetes. He also may have early kidney disease, pending further tests. Smokey was diagnosed with IBS two years ago due to food allergies, so is on a special diet.

Glad I found this forum so we have support along our journey! Started a spreadsheet for Paws, and I think I got it linked properly. I'll post a few questions to the main form shortly.

Photo of our boys attached! Should be obvious who is who.

Attached Files:

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

3. Ambermom

Ambermom New Member

My cat was diagnosed with diabetes and HCM 4 months ago. She is on 7 units of pro zinc, (7:30am and pm) being fed fancy feast and is still losing weight. 17lbs down to 13lbs. The vet doesn't seem to know what else to do for her. I have heard that beta blockers can interfere with insulin absorption. Is this true? I am doing a glucose curve on her now and the lowest reading was 278 at 3:00pm yesterday. I gave her a two unit booster at 5:00pm when her blood sugar was 363. Does she need to be on a different insulin? Please help...

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Ambermom, welcome. If you come to the Prozinc Forum and start a thread, we can help you figure out what’s going on with sweet Amber. Some cats do need larger doses of insulin (mine was on 17 units twice a day at one point) a switch may be an option. We can help you determine what to do.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  5. Ambermom

Ambermom New Member

That nknow you!

Sharon14 likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.