Peachy Canada up-date

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by alexanne, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexanne

alexanne Member

Sorry I haven't made contact for a while - Peachy (14 years old) is making great progress at this time. We changed the vet to one who has moved in across the road - much more convenient. The first vet Peachy and Vegas - both 14 years old) had for 13 years and I decided to make a change - This second vet was recommended and in particular stated that his costs were cheaper. This turned out to be wrong in my case. After being tested - both Peachy and Vegas - Peachy was diagnosed with diabetes and Vegas with ringworm - these tests amounted to upwards of $2,000. They had Peachy on Caninsulin which they supplied in 2.5 ml bottles costing $28 each.

I spoke with the new vet who had moved in across the road and told him of Peachy's diabetes and Vegas' ringworm. Getting good vibes from this vet I had him examine Peachy and had the other vet fax all the material and reports to him, just like changing a doctor for a human. I also showed him the bills for the tests carried out and the medication prescribed. We have both agreed that Caninsulin is working well with Peachy at this time and would be changed to Lantus if there was a problem. Peachy's diabetes is very mild and well controlled on Caninsulin. The new vet supplied a 10ml bottle for the cost of $75. This would be against 10 ml from the previous vet at $112 plus a 15 minute car ride there and 15 minutes back 4 times to get the 2.5 ml bottles. The current vet charged $48 for consultation and the previous vet cost $60. This morning I walked again to the vet and he demonstrated taking blood and testing it on my One touch monitor. Her reading was 10.9 this was at 11:30 a.m. after eating at 9 a.m. - He had tested her about 2 days ago at about the same time, can't remember what time she ate then but her reading was 7.5. Both these readings I am told are quite acceptable - We have a dosage of 2U - he recommended trying to get it just a little bit under 1 3/4U or thereabouts but no more than 2U in the morning and 1U at night. At this time he supplied me with ecaps for their skin - small bottle alcohol. hospital swabs and needles for pricking the ear also his time in instructing the process for the sum of $30. Before arranging to change vets I had an appointment with the other vet to have them demonstrate the process - this would have been done by one of their technical assistants - the cost would have been about $50 with no supplies included.

The costs for vet services are really very high in a lot of cases. I usually am lucky and things work out for me - it was just chance that this vet moved in so close and his costs were so reasonable. I live in a seniors' complex and many people have pets - I have posted a notice with my endorsement in the building.

Don't know if there are other people who would be near enough to use his services - he is located at Rathburn and Tomken in Mississauga. Perhaps some people are near this area who would like to obtain his services. If you would like to send a private message I can supply you with his full information if you are in that area.

So, in summary, Peachy is doing fine on Caninsulin and I will be home testing.

Thanks for the assistance of all those who wrote - I am continuing to learn about feline diabetes and will keep everybody posted.

I have to say I did feel guilty in thinking about the cost against the health of the companion pet. I think there are some people - not necessarily seniors - who may feel this way. I know everybody on this site and a great many who are not on this site are having difficulty with the cost of veterinary services. I was quite honest with the previous vet and advised that I was on limited budget and felt no embarrassment in doing so. When dealing with your vet it is important that you ask openly what his fees are and also shop around and with the same openess tell the vet that you are on limited means and have to know exactly what their costs are. As I said some people do not like to discuss this aspect but I assure you that a good vet would completely understand and may in some cases make a senior discount. Have no hesitation is going from one vet to another to make these enquiries. Most have websites with contact addresses - try all the websites and make contact to find out their fee schedules. Also have no hesitation in contacting the Canadian Veterinarian Association if you think there is a serious problem. I think they are on-line and may also have contact address. All this would also apply to the States and they have also a Veterinarian Association.

Thanks again for all your help and hope that the above on dealing with costs may be of help to others.

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

what a great update! sounds you found a good vet and one that's walking distance away! even better...keep learning, testing and posting when you can.

I have the philosophy of if you don't ask you don't get - so I always ask, the worse that will happen is someone will say no, the best you will get what you are asking for or something close - so good for you being up front about costs!

3. alexanne

alexanne Member

Thanks for your reply - as you say - if you don't ask you don't have the possibility of an answer - whether good or bad. I always ask and am very open - even if I think people may think it is a silly question or think me stupid for asking . In fact I have found that in asking the question I have been able to help a lot of people who wanted to ask the same thing but were too afraid, shy or thought they might be considered stupid.

Hope someone in Mississauga or near that area might find this vet in a suitable area. i met a couple of my neighbours there yesterday who had walked over to get food - we are all so glad he is there.

I hope this may help somebody else to make sure their vet is treating them fairly on costs and everything else. Ask questions. Below is a link to a picture of Peachy and Vegas - Peachy is on the left and Vegas behind on the right. I am trying to get a picture for the avatar on the page like Hilary and Maui, but can't find the right size - I think it says 9 KB. Very small to get both in.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/Alexan/P_V2_2005.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.