Peeing on bed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Doches, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doches

Doches New Member

hi all. Got my Dex home and working to get him better. Been on insulin for a week. We go back to the vet today for a follow up. Dex is an inside outside cat but with his recent issues I’ve been keeping him in and just monitoring when so take him outside to hang with his girlfriend. I think he is having anxiety issues. He has begun to sneeze quite a bit but he also gets up about 3am and jumps on the bed and pees. Not normal for him. Vet did all the checks when I took him in last week.
    Need advice on how to deter him from peeing on the bed!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  2. Juliet

Juliet Guest

My cat started to sneeze after diagnosis too. Vet said it’s to let us know he’s not quite right. Silver used to pee in wrong places when first diagnosed bug I grabbed puppy pads and he graduated towards those. Might be worth a try?

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Peeing on the bed for our dog was called submissive urination and is normal canine communication. He's trying to convey that he's not a threat and did it just once, the first time he came on the bed as a puppy.
    In a cat it could be a number of things but I've had a few cats that were just downright annoyed about something and pooped on the bed. One very smart cat left a micro-turd dead center on the pillow. Dex's whole life is changing so it's not unrealistic to think he's just showing you he's unhappy. If he's continually doing in the same spot take Juliet's advice and try a piddle pad or even a double layer.

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Is Dex showing any signs of neuropathy (e.g. slightly 'flat-footed'; not as keen to jump up onto higher surfaces as previously; walking on hocks)?

Sometimes it's not easy to detect neuropathy clinical signs, but sometimes kitties with this problem may start urinating inappropriately.

Neuropathy symptoms can be reversed with better diabetic regulation and also supplementation with a diabetic-friendly B12 methylcobalamin supplement (e.g. Zobaline).

Mogs

5. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

He may feel like he needs to mark out his territory, since he was away at the vet for a few days. I have one who periodically pees on my bed. It's usually because he sees another cat or animal outside the window and feels threatened, so he has to mark his territory, but he will also do it if he's away from home for more than a couple of hours. He will also pee on or spray Squallie (his PapaBear and favorite kitty friend) and me (his food-disher) to mark us as his. Nothing like waking up in the middle of the night to a cat spraying urine right at the center of your forehead, let me tell you! I have not been able to break him of this over the past 4 years, but keeping a pheromone diffuser active at all times does help.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Gross! :(

(((Lucy)))

Mogs

Squalliesmom likes this.
  7. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Gross, and shocking, too! Wakes you right up, that's for sure!

Doches, Kris & Teasel and Critter Mom like this.
  8. Lillie

Lillie Member

:eek::eek::eek: What a way to wake up!!

9. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.