Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pam and Stasha (GA)

Pam and Stasha (GA) Member

How often can you give kitty pepcid? My d-i-l's kitty has not eaten since yesterday after vomitting and still has no interest. He's on Lantus and because he was only 112 this morning, didn't give a shot hoping he would eat today-not. Tonight he was 297 so she dropped the dose and shot after giving pepid. He's still not eating and she'll call the vet in the morning if he's still not eating.

2. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Has she given any pepcid?

I was told, and gave, 1/4 tablet twice a day. I believe you can give more if it is warranted but that is the starting dose. It really helped Sundance.

Remember... Pepcid AC only ... NOT Pepcid Complete.

But remember, like with any pilling... you must follow it with water or some runny food. A syringe of food is good for coating. I used to use the "gravy" (though not the technical gravy flavours) of the pate flavours... I would take the food out and then add water to mix the gel or whatever it is. Just to make the liquid a bit more enticing.

Also... the cat MUST eat... so feeding anything is important - even if it's carbs. Sundance would take Pringles when all else failed. And some people have had luck getting the cat restarted with canned dog food - which is likely better for a FD kitty than the Pringles.

3. Pam and Stasha (GA)

4. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

We used to give 1/4 tablet twice a day. (That's Pepcid A/C, *not* Pepcid Complete which is Very Bad For Kitties). Remember to wash it down with something.

Have you ruled out pancreatitis, a not-uncommon condition in diabetic cats? You can read Jojo's post on it here http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... 722,876722 . (I'm actually having problems getting the post to come up at the moment. If you do also, go to Google, post the URL in the search box then, in the list of results that comes up, click on the little "cached" note to the bottom right of the first result.)

5. Pam and Stasha (GA)

Thanks for the help-I've been away too long to remember these things! LOL! Thanks again!!

6. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

i've found soft butter helpful before and after the pill. my cats will just lick it off my finger. just want to do everything we can to avoid nicking the cat's esophagus.
    squirts of water afterward. don't shoot water into throat. just shoot across the side of the mouth.

7. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

1/4 of a 10mg Pepcid AC or 1/8 of a 20mg Pepcid AC (Extra Strength).

The generic is Famotidine and most chain-store pharmacies have their own 'Acid Controller'....cheaper.

8. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

the first vet I went to (my regular one) told me to give Fred 1 10mg tab every day.

the 2nd vet I went to a couple of month later told me to give a half. So I give him 1/4 a tab twice a day.

I bought a pill crusher and cutter. It's at the drugstores for humans, cheap little plastic gizmo. So I cut the pill in half, I do this with a vitamin too. Then I take the portion and crush it in the crush (very easy you just turn the cap and it grinds it down), then I sprinkle this in his bowl, add water to dissolve a bit, then mix his Wellness in. No complaints from fred and he gets his dose, maybe not all at once since he doesn't eat everything at once, but as he eats thru out the day.

9. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Lucy has been on methimazole (sp!) for hyperthyroidism for just over a year now. She has puked *maybe* twice in that time. Your D*I*L may want to ask the vet to run a free T4 test.

Prior to the hyper-t diagnosis, Lucy puked frequently. I gave her 1/4 of a 10 mg Famotidine table wrapped in 1/2 of a pill pocket. She ate it with no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.