Perkins not eating

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Elena, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elena

Elena Member

Perkins appetite has gotten worse so tomorrow we are going to the vet, we tried putting it off because we only have about 1oo to spend at the vet and that is a drop in the bucket when it comes to vets, we were hoping Perkins would like the new food but he only ate a little. I will try to get a appetite pill but this place charges for breathing and the vet there tomorrow is a young guy who thinks he knows it all

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  2. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Is it possible Perkins is nauseous ?
    If so ondansetron is very effective, it is important to not give a appetite stimulate if the kitty has nausea.

I do think Zyrtec also stimulates appy... I am tagging @tiffmaxee as her Max I think ate well when on it.

Licking his lips is one of the most common signs of nausea especially when they sniff food-as well as drinking more water.
    If your vet will give you a script you can get ondansetron online it is usually 97 cents for 8 mg
    Most average cats (10ish pounds ) get 2-3 mg so just cut it up doesn't have to be exact and putting in a gel cap is a good way to pill a cat so no yucky taste and with a dab of butter or vaseline or baby food etc.... it slides right down.
    Dry pilling can be dangerous and get stuck-

Cerenia is much less expensive online as well and doses vary--My Rico gets about 15 mg of cerenia 1X a day (we get a 60 mg and cut into 4 doses) and he also gets ondansetron 3mg he is about 13-14 pounds.
    I know vets can be jerks but maybe if you tell them you are limited on funds and would greatly appreciate a script to purchase online they might accommodate?
    Easier to catch flies with honey:rolleyes:
    Have you tried gerbers baby food? the 2 stage all meat usually is tempting for a kitty --the vet may also suggest a few cans of AD which is easy to syringe if you need to assist feed.:bighug:

Elena and tiffmaxee like this.
  3. jayla-n-Drevon

Perkins is beautiful:cat:

Elena likes this.
  4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

One thing I used when nausea was suspected was Pecid AC 10mg ( you can by this at any store with no prescription) You give 1/4 of the pill. Another thing that helped was slippery elm bark SEB (no additives in a capsule) at any good health food store.

Elena and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi. I did use Zyrtec for Max when he had an upper respiratory or herpes. It did help with the appy but Jayla us right on that you don't want to give an appy stimulant to a nauseous cat. Food aversion can happen that way. I see an empty ss. What new food? Will he eat his old food?

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  6. tiffmaxee

Pepcid works for stomach acid issues sometimes but not for nausea from pancreatitis.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  7. jayla-n-Drevon

Zyrtec is also over the counter--I do not know the dose for a kitty tho maybe someone else will...
    I know many use Pepcid with great success ...with Rico it made his heart race.
    SEB is a great product!

8. Tuxedo Mom

My one kitty had chronic pancreatitis and Cerenia worked well with him. I used the injectable type, especially if he was throwing up. The few episodes he had I used cerenia, some sub Q fluid and buprenorphine.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  9. tiffmaxee

I've used both cerenia and ondansetron. Both worked but ondansetron was cheaper so it was my go to drug of choice. The shots sting so I couldn't give cereni shots. If giving fluids you can avoid the sting but otherwise I just couldn't give it. When Max had pancreatitis I could sometimes get him to eat Gerbers 2nd baby food ham or turkey but he always needed nausea medication. For him that was more important than pain medication but I also used buprenorphine.

I gave 1/4 a Zyrtec twice a day.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  10. jayla-n-Drevon

Agree with the above.... Cerenia injectable does burn like fire--I never give unless I have just given enough fluids to disperse the burn and I keep the vial in the fridge. If given this way the burn literally is non-existanet (and Rico is a drama king).

Elena and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  11. Tuxedo Mom

Cerenia is a "burn" but when kept cold it does help diminish the burn. Also if a kitty is throwing up an injectable will stay in the system where a pill won't

jayla-n-Drevon and Elena like this.
  12. Elena

Elena Member

Thanks guys for all the help, I will try calling tomorrow and asking about a discount because once my mom spends what she has left in her checking we won't have and money for treatment, this is my biggest fear, We have a lot of history with this office and none of it is good but they are close to the house and we are sticking with the devil we know instead of the devil we don't know. I'm not saying all vets are like this but the ones around our house only care about money and if you don't have any the animal will not be treated. Maybe he does have pancreatitis because as soon as he eats he seems uncomfortable. He is drinking water because earlier today he ate a little S/O food which always makes him thirsty. We love Perkins and there isn't anything we wouldn't do for him, over the years he was blocked 3 times and we have spent thousands of dollars on our credit card but it is maxed out we can't give what we don't have so I will have to try tomorrow to get a discount but we have asked in the past and of course the answer is no. We had to beg a drug store to open a box of Levemir and sell us one pen at a time because we can't afford the whole box and that wasn't easy but we were good customers there , always getting my Grandmother's meds from there so they did it for us. We are just not sure what to do, if Perkins eats tonight and seems better we will cancel the vet, we just can't afford vets, and insulin and Prescription diet food we just don't have it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  13. Tuxedo Mom

Pancreatitis can be tested with the snap fPL test at the vets. It only tells YES or NO without giving the actual reading in numerical form, but then you at least know if this is a problem. I feel for you with the up front costs of trying to find out what all the problems are. Been there done that and am doing it still with my 2nd FD kitty. Sending lots of positive energy and prayers for both you and Perkins. :bighug::bighug:

[​IMG]

jayla-n-Drevon and Elena like this.
  14. Elena

Elena Member

One more things guys, please keep Perkins in your prayers. Vet care is not the end all and be all. I remember years ago we had a rescue cat who went into liver failure, we did it all including feeding tube none of that worked, he was yellow drooling and could hardly walk a few steps and couldn't keep food down. We called on the name of Jesus and today he is happy and healthy. I know God can do it again but I feel all out of faith right now, so please pray for Perkins.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  15. Tuxedo Mom

16. Elena

Elena Member

Update on Perkins, he is doing better, I keep having to switch different S/O wet foods to keep him interested but it's working. Now new worries this freaking hurricane we are in Florida , we have to stay put because of our cats. Prayers for everyone in it's path.

17. jayla-n-Drevon

18. Lillie

Lillie Member

This must be a very anxious time for everyone there. I hope you and your kitties stay safe. Praying for all of you in that area.

Elena likes this.
  19. Elena

Elena Member

Thanks we need all the prayer we can get, Perkins hasn't pooped in days. Please everyone keep praying.

20. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Elena, sending prayers for you, your family and all your animals. Please be safe and check in when it's over so we know you're ok.:bighug:

Elena likes this.
  21. Elena

Elena Member

Thanks my friend, we made it through.

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.