Pet insurance

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mimis mom, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Member

Is it worth it?
    Which company to go with and which plan to chose.

anything else you have to say would be very helpful and appreciated
    Thank you!

2. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Member

I have Trupanion. They cover 90% of my guys diabetic expenses, but only covered 2 months of prescription diets - no maintenance food. We paid $28 originally when he was 7; $41/ month now.
    Any insurance now wouldn't cover your kitty for diabetes or other medical issues closely related to it ...DKA, likely kidney disease. ..so, I'm not sure if it's worth it now.
    Originally, they denied our coverage because my guy had urinary issues and one instance of stess hypoglycemia when he was hospitalized. If we hadn't won our appeal I was considering cancellation it and just putting monry into a savings account for him. We also have care credit so that always provides a bit of security.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I use Nationwide.

One point to consider, though. As Ari pointed out, since Mimi has already been diagnosed, there's a reasonable chance that the diabetes will not be covered (or she'll be ineligible for insurance coverage) due to the pre-existing condition. I could not get Gabby insured. My civvie, however, is insured and the insurance was very helpful.

Mimis mom and Marje and Gracie like this.
  4. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I also have Nationwide. They covered Gracie’s diabetes expenses up to the limit of her policy (which was pretty liberal since she had Major Medical) but I took the policy out on her when she was a kitten and had no pre-existing conditions. Sienne is right that they might cover Mimi for other things but doubtful they will cover her for diabetes or any other pre-existing condition.

When we got Livia, I researched all the companies and I’m pretty sure, as I recall, that none would cover a pre-existing condition. However, I also took Nationwide out for Liv as she had a congenital condition and they are the only one that covers congenital conditions through their Whole Pet policy. It’s pricey but it’s been really worth it with her.

Mimis mom likes this.
  5. bbsarah

bbsarah New Member

I compared a few pet insurances on petinsurancefinder.com and chosen Pet Plan. Insurance really helped me when my cat starts vomiting. It covered 90% of the costs as was promised. So this insurance is okay for me and my cat