Pet sitter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by majandra, Dec 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

I may be going away for a couple days soon, and the person that I will have come in will not be able to do any testing beyond AM/PMPS. Is there a way to go about it safely? Give only a drop of insulin? Reguar 0.1U once a day? skip altogether?

Joanne&TinySole likes this.
  2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Most of us reduce our doses when away especially when no mid cycle testing can be done. The problem with doses that low is making sure the sitter can draw it up accurately and many will round off a dose rather than having the sitter deal with even 0.25u doses. At that low a dose, it's harder to reduce with a sitter in the picture. I take it the sitter has prior diabetic care experience? When are you leaving and how long will you be gone?

Joanne&TinySole and majandra like this.
  3. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

It would just be for a weekend.
    She is actually the one who gave me the Lantus. She needs to see how to do sub q shots on a cat, but she gives horses shots, and gave herself shots, so I'm sure it will go well. Last time we went away was pre insulin, and she tested Rhubarb am and am no issues (except her very first test).
    The 1 drop I thought would be the easiest to be consistent with. And about the only dose decrease. If I show her anything though, she is the type of person who will do it well. The only reason she would not be able to test mid cycle is prior commitments keeping her away.

Joanne&TinySole likes this.
  4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a great trustworthy sitter arrangement.:joyful: The other thing a lot of folks do is lower the dose a few days prior to leaving to drain the depot a bit and get a feel for expected BG at the reduced dose.

Joanne&TinySole and majandra like this.
  5. Joanne&TinySole

Joanne&TinySole Well-Known Member

Pre-draw the insulin too, if you want the dose measured well. I know it's not recommended, however it's only a couple of days and if the loaded needles are kept in the fridge, it'll be fine. Again, not recommended due to a lubricant in the syringe, but I've done this and it worked out fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.