Pet Valu food options

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by majandra, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

I really only have access to Pet Valu for my canned food. I checked walmart, and I can get large cans of Friskies poultry platter, and nothing else is good.
    From everything that Pet Valu had, and they have a huge selection, I only found two suitable cans - Merrick Thanksgiving dinner (which some charts say is high), and Natural Balance reduced cal chicken, salmon, duck. The NB has rice which I'm not sure if it's ok.

Am I missing something? It is definitely overwhelming scrolling through a spreadsheet on my phone in the store!

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Pet Valu and Walmart usually carry Fancy Feast. You want the Pates as the other varieties of FF are higher carbs. They have a good variety of flavours and they tend to be quite popular around here. Don't know if you have a Pet Smart anywhere within delivery distance but they quite often have the FF pates on sale for $0.55/can so you can stock up when there is a sale and have it delivered.

Do you have a Loblaws/ Loblaws Superstore/possibly No Frills anywhere nearby? There are a few PC brands that also meet carb restrictions. HERE are the details.

My Pet Valu also stocks some of the Weruva brands. Hope that gives you some available options.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You can get Wellness pates at Pet Valu. Many of them are 4 to 6% carbs. They're on Dr. Pierson's list.

4. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

A lot of the Wellness have low protein/high fat. Is that less important than the low carbs?

5. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Yes and no... low carb is the best, most important thing, under 10% BUT... if your baby has lost weight, higher fat can help sometimes, put it back on, sloooooowly despite not being insulin regulated. It's what I've noticed with my Fena - higher fat, she's plumping back up after her big weight loss but it's slooooow and it ONLY helps her when I supplement with higher protein food, to help her muscles stay up. It's a really weird balance and I don't have it right yet, but she's coming back to good.

This I will say, controversial or not - if your baby is losing quick, go for high fat first with low carb, then high protein low carb if you can.

Ideally you want 50+% protein, 40% or less fat, and under 10% carbs (under 5% even better). But that's hard to get, keep, depending on money, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.