Phoebe needs help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by EricH., Jul 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Thank you to everyone that has been so kind and concerned. Phoebe is so fighting the forced feedings. I was just told too try sardines or anchovies. Any one now about this method?

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

EricH. likes this.
  3. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Did you give the mirtazapine yet? I don't use that one very often - it can have weird side effects - what dose did you give her?
    Did they give her anything for nausea?
    There is a recipe for a liver shake somewhere on the website that is supposed to be highly successful in situations just like this - I'll try to find the link You should be able to get all of the ingredients at a good grocery store here is the link liver shake

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    jayla-n-Drevon, EricH. and Sharon14 like this.
  4. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I gave her a 1/4 tablet of mirtzapine and was told no pedialyte because it could give her diarrhea. I just got her take food off my finger.

Dyana and Sharon14 like this.
  5. Carol & Murphy (GA)

that's great hopefully the mirtazapine has started to work - it doesn't work that great in my cat

Sharon14 likes this.
  6. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

She only took a little food. I'll let her rest for 30 minutes.

7. Carol & Murphy (GA)

look at the live shake recipe I sent you - it may be just what you need today

EricH. and Sharon14 like this.
  8. Sharon14

9. Carol & Murphy (GA)

ask your vet tomorrow about giving you some ondansteron for nausea, cerenia for vomiting and cyproheptadine - another appetite stimulant but can't be used with mirtazapine
    also I am not clear what exactly is wrong with Phoebe right now - does she have pancreatitis or IBD flare or infection - has she ever done anything like this before (stopped eating) If you go to the feline health & FAQs forum - there's links to a lot of helpful topics, including getting kitty to eat (looks like @Sharon14 beat me to it :))

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  10. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

No she's never done this before and she's always had an appetite. The mirtzapine really doesn't seem to help. Phoebe was diagnosed with Insulin Dependent Mellitus. But tentative diagnosis is diabetic ketoacidois. This worse she's ever been.

11. Sharon14

When you see your vet ask about the cyproheptadine and other meds Carol mentioned. Her cat has bouts of not eating and she's learned a lot about appetite stimulants.
    They must have checked her for ketones at the emergency clinic, did they check today?

jayla-n-Drevon and EricH. like this.
  12. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I'll be at Richmond Veterinary Clinic when they unlock the door! This has been an eye opening and humbling experience. I was able too get some more food into little Phoebe.

13. Sharon14

Great about the food! Keep trying, we're all rooting for her!

EricH. likes this.
  14. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

The appetite stimulants take -weeks- to really start working. They are of no use in with ketones or DKA, as they don't treat nausea, which is one of the barriers to eating when ketones are involved. Please ask for and anti-nausea medication.

Also, are you still giving insulin? This is very important. If you skip doses, the ketones will form more rapidly and make everything worse. You need to be testing blood sugar to make sure that she doesn't go low in order to give it.

Did they check potassium? This is the other major barrier to eating as low potassium causes weakness and causes the digestive tract to slow down or stop completely.

EricH. likes this.
  15. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Also, ask your vet to switch to a long acting insulin (lantus or levemir) and show you how to do subQ fluids at home. The best treatment honestly is for your kitty to stay a night or two and get stabilized before you take her home. PLEASE ask your vet if they have experience treating DKA and what the outcomes are. Lots of vets have little to no experience, and will recommend euthanizing, or treat wrong and have bad outcomes. DKA is treatable, but has to be done in the right hands.

Sharon14 likes this.
  16. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Just wondering the basis for that statement. I have used both mirtazapine and cyproheptadine on several cats and they started working in about 30 minutes or so. They worked very well but I only got abut 48 hours vice 72 hours using the 72 hour dosing for mirtazapine.

17. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

No Meya14 I'm not skipping her dose today. She had one at 9am and will the 2nd at 9pm. I've been watering down her wet food too syringe feed it to her easier. She's still trying to resist but at least I'm getting food into her. She hasn't thrown up either thank god! Everything you mentioned will be addressed at 9am.

Meya14 and Sharon14 like this.
  18. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

These drugs act on histamine and serotonin systems and although they have a shorter time than SSRI for a therapeutic effect (1-2 weeks vs 2-4 weeks), they still take time. They are more of a maintenance medication for chronic poor appetite rather than a treatment for anorexia due to nausea. We use them extensively in elderly (mirtazapine) and children (cypro), and although I understand the physiology is different, the effect of most medications in animals are extrapolated from human use anyways.

Also, the initial lethargy both these medications causes takes a few days to stabilize. This can actually reduce oral intake at first.

19. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

After reading what you wrote l wish l never gave her the mirtzapine. I've gotten 70ml. of watered-down canned purina pro plan veterinary diets dm. into her.

20. Sharon14

Good you got the food in her. Is she accepting the syringe feeding better?

21. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Yes! She's still fighting it but once I figured out a technique and the perfect wetness for the food it started going a lot better! She will be ready for that 9pm insulin. I just PRAY that she fully pulls through! She's been moving to her favorite spots today. And even in her weak state can still climb the stairs. I have hope!

22. Carol & Murphy (GA)

we have hope too!! as far as appy stimulants, I agree that need to be sure nausea is taken care of - ondansteron is the best anti-nausea.

I have had great luck with 1 or 2 mgm of cyproheptadine (an antihistamine) and it almost always works within an hour - (but I do always give it with ondansteron) keep doing what you are doing and see what your vet says
    did you ever get the strips to measure ketones in the urine?

23. Sharon14

Glad you worked out the technique! It's a good sign that she frequenting her favorite spots. Good thoughts and prayers sent!!!

24. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

For goals: Try to feed at least one 5.5oz can of food a day and give an extra 150ml of water.

If you have treats or dry food she likes, by all means, set it out and see if that helps her eat on her own. Don't set out the same food you are syringing, as cats usually get aversions to foods they are syringe fed. Hopefully the vet is helpful tomorrow. It always helps to make a list of things you want to ask about and just give it to them so everything gets addressed.

25. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Thanks Meya she seems really week now. We stopped at 930pm to go too bed. This is tearing me apart.

26. Sharon14

How is she?

EricH. likes this.
  27. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

She's alert. I'm just not used too seeing her like this. I'm going to start force feeding her again right now. I wish l was wealthy and could of left her at the vet. This is cruel punishment.

28. Sharon14

Good that she's alert! Feed her all she'll eat. Depending on what your vet says today, please consider contacting DCIN, they will help with the costs of treatment. The link is in a post above.

29. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Thanks Sharon!: Ijust got done feeding her and giving her water. She's about the same as she was yesterday I guess she was able to make it up and down the stairs now she's hiding behind my dresser because she's had enough of the syringe feeding but before that she did go to the litter box and didn't urinate which is good thing!

30. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I'm looking for the link.

31. Sharon14

Fingers crossed for a positive report from the vet. Please keep us posted!

EricH. likes this.
  32. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I'm still looking for the link for DCIN.

33. Sharon14

EricH. likes this.
  34. Sharon14

This came from an old post
    DCIN is Diabetic Cats in Need. I am the director. (Pumpkinsmom) Please contactme at 410-499-3390 via text or voice.
    If the link isn't good, maybe try to contact this person.

EricH. likes this.
  35. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Please help save Phoebe! xyz set this up for Phoebe.

_Any and all fundraising efforts by or for individuals or groups must be approved by the Board Admin, Robert and Echo, prior to posting on the FDMB. Link to fundraiser has been removed by Moderator pending Admin approval.
    Fundraising on FDMB

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2016
    Carol & Murphy (GA) and Sharon14 like this.
  36. Sharon14

How is she? What did the vet say?

EricH. likes this.
  37. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

She started treatment for Diabetic Ketoacidosis at 845am. She will require an overnight stay maybe more. They said l did a great job nursing her along just to get her too today. Phoebe, Bobo, and l thank you ALL for your valuable support and advice!!! I would of never made it without ALL of you!!! The kind generous people at Diabetic Cats In Need are truly angels as all of you are! I'm indebted to all of you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

DebG, Olive & Paula, Meya14 and 3 others like this.
  38. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

So happy to hear Phoebe is getting the treatment she needs and hopefully you can get a little rest and relaxation in until she gets home again knowing she is in good hands!

EricH. likes this.
  39. Carol & Murphy (GA)

We're so happy she is at the vets and it does not sound like in that bad of shape. You did an amazing job caring for her over this long holiday weekend - please keep us updated on her progress

EricH. likes this.
  40. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Thank you and I'll keep you all updated. No matter how stressful it was we'd all do anything and everything for our babies not to suffer.

Carol & Murphy (GA) and Sharon14 like this.
  41. Sharon14

So happy to hear Phoebe is in treatment and on her way to recovery! Do keep us updated and we'll keep sending prayers and good thoughts for you both!!!

EricH. and Carol & Murphy (GA) like this.
  42. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Eric I am so glad Phoebe is getting the treatment she needs. You have done a great job looking after her over the long weekend with the help of the wonderful people here on FDMB. Please keep us updated with her progress. Sending vines for a full recovery.

EricH. likes this.
  43. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

So happy to hear she is being treated. You were amazing with her care over the weekend. Please keep us posted.

EricH. likes this.
  44. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Thanks again for the encouragement this has been the longest weekend in my entire life. Easily the worst 4 day stretch I can ever think of. I am so thankful that Phoebe will get a chance. I'm so overwhelmed and blessed. She is currently undergoing treatment that could last possibly two days. Bobo and l are looking forward to her return home. Things aren't the same with her not around. :(

45. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I just want to let everybody know I spoke to Premier Veterinary Clinic in Grayslake this morning at 6 a.m. to check on Phoebe. The doctor on duty said when he came in yesterday Phoebe was laying in her cage and they just started the new insulin that'll help remove the ketones from her system. He said now she's up and about moving around in the cage and her blood sugar levels are headed towards normal now but she's still not out of the woods but definitely an improvement!

BJM, AbyResq, PlumsMom and 5 others like this.
  46. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Great news!!!

EricH. likes this.
  47. Sharon14

So happy to hear this!

EricH. likes this.
  48. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

That's great news!

When she's ready to come home, make sure your vet sends you with:
    A bag of subQ fluids for home
    Ondansetron or cerenia
    A prescription for lantus or levemir

49. Olive & Paula

Wonderful news

EricH. likes this.
  50. Carol & Murphy (GA)

dear moderators - he had no idea about this (neither did I frankly) Eric started posting over the long 4th weekend when his beloved cat developed DKA - he couldn't afford the emergency vet treatment so the FDMB members helped him nurse her until he could get her to his regular vet yesterday morning - He was referred to xyz in his previous thread over the weekend I believe.

51. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I just wanted to apologize too the moderator for not following protocol. That being said just wanted to let everyone know Phoebe ate on her own today for the first at 8 a.m. and if she keeps improving she could possibly come home tomorrow! Thank you all for the continued prayers and well wishes greatly appreciate it!

DebG, Bobbie And Bubba and Sharon14 like this.
  52. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Eric, no problem! I hope you received the private message I sent with an explanation.

Phoebe eating is awesome news!!! Unfortunately, I'm all too familiar with DKA and ketones. This is definitely a step in the right direction! Hope she continues to improve and will be home with you shortly!
    Good luck!

EricH. likes this.
  53. Olive & Paula

Wonderful, hope she keeps improving and is home shortly.

EricH. likes this.
  54. Carol & Murphy (GA)

So Eric, is Phoebe's site still available at the xyz site?

Reason for edit: Fundraiser info is pending approval by the FDMB ADMIN, Robert and Echo.
    EricH. likes this.
  55. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

"How-to-find" the Fundraiser removed by Moderator.

Hope this is okay to post :nailbiting:

Eric can post the information when/if Robert and Echo approves. If there's a problem or if there are questions, please take them up with Robert.

See this post:
    Fundraising on FDMB

Thank you.

Reason for edit: self-explanatory
  56. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Yes. [removed pending Admin approval] have a link up for her on their Facebook page!

Sharon14 likes this.
  57. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Sharon14 told me too contact [name removed pending Admin approval] yesterday morning. I completely forgot to ask them for help. I believe it was the end. And an angel saved her.

DebG and Sharon14 like this.
  58. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Sharon14l just wanted to say Phoebe, Bobo, and l are extremely grateful for your suggestion yesterday morning too contact [name removed pending Admin approval]. Through this torturous extended holiday weekend it completely slipped my mind to ask them for help. You were the calm voice in my chaos yesterday morning they pointed me in the right direction God bless you! Because of you I contacted them right before I left to go to Richmond Veterinary Clinic which is 20 minutes from my house at the clinic I was basically told there wasn't much I could do for Phoebe because I didn't have any money. As they were telling me that I received an instant message from [name removed by moderator pending Admin approval] saying not to worry everything will be taken care of. It was a surreal moment I'll never forget. From one moment being feeling extremely low and heartbroken to tears of joy! Thank you Sharon14!

59. Sharon14

You are so welcome I'm glad I could help. It was actually @Carol & Murphy that came up with the idea to contact xyz when I contacted her to alert her to you situation. I'm just so glad that Phoebe is doing well and I pray that she continues to improve and is back home soon.

Reason for edit: removed by moderator pending Admin approval
    EricH. likes this.
  60. Carol & Murphy (GA)

We are so, so elated that she pulled through and that you will have her home tomorrow.

DebG and EricH. like this.
  61. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Thank you Carol & Murphy for saving Phoebe for Bobo and l!

Carol & Murphy (GA) likes this.
  62. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I just wanted to post an update on Phoebe. I was told I'll be able to pick her up tomorrow morning at 9 a.m.!!! I am extremely happy humbled and grateful for everythingand what everyone did for us! You guys are all proof that there are good people in this world!

Sharon14 and DebG like this.
  63. Sharon14

Wonderful news!!!

EricH. likes this.
  64. Jill & Alex (GA)

Eric,
    I'm so happy to hear Phoebe is doing well enough to come home tomorrow! However, please show your gratitude by honoring and adhering to board policy. FDMB members can post information about individual or group fundraisers when/if Robert and Echo approves only. Until then, all members should refrain from mentioning anything about any fundraisers.
    Thank you.

EricH. likes this.
  65. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

so happy for you!!
    I wanted to add that I used onadestron-cypro for a while with good results but the we planned to go away a few days so I did a trial run with mirtz--
    My guy actually does really well on it and s more social and bright-he eats very well and is al around happier--
    I do not use it regularly but it is good for if I have to go away a few days- He also gets fluids regularly (he is CKD) he gets florastor and SEB as well-
    He has never been DKA and he is not my diabetic--
    I just wanted to let you know sometimes when things settle down it may be worth trying some things again as when they are doing better it make work better....
    Very happy Phoebe is better!!:bighug:

EricH. likes this.
  66. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Lovely members -- we know that everyone needs help, and it's just too overwhelming to approve / disapprove these kinds of things. We've had scammers and worse in the past, and it's simply not something that we can "promote". I encourage folks to ask friends for donations, but asking strangers for donations simply isn't something the FDMB can ensure isn't a scam. We've been round and round about this (publicly and privately), and have always come back to the same place. Groups, like DCIN, are geared to doing this full time.

67. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Not a scammer. Looking for help for Phoebe. Never heard of D.C.I.N. until l was on this board when Phoebe became deathly ill. Read my posts. Thank you.

68. Jill & Alex (GA)

Eric, please check your private messages.
    The fundraiser for Phoebe has not been approved for posting on the FDMB.

69. Carol & Murphy (GA)

We know, Eric. We also know you didn't ask anyone to contribute - you just posted the link as many of us were following Phoebe's deteriorating clinical condition and were interested in how the saga was unfolding
    Maybe you weren't getting your private messages - If you go to the upper right of the screen you will see your name, inbox and alerts - the Inbox is for messages - click on it to read them
    Please don't be put off by this - :blackeye:- put that behind you now that Phoebe is home (or will be soon) - we really do care and want to know how she is doing You will no doubt have questions and as you saw, there are many people here who can help.
    Good luck picking her up at the vet and we look forward to your post when she gets home!

Sharon14 and Jill & Alex (GA) like this.
  70. Sharon14

Eric how is sweet Phoebe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.