Phoebes,amps/472,pmps594 HI

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Jenny reyes, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Jenny reyes

Jenny reyes Member

My cat is on vetslin 2 units twice a day and on antibiotics since last Friday her sugar is very high tonite I gave her 2 units about 10mins ago

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

On the 14th Pheobe's BG dropped down to 70 which is too low on Vetsulin. Ideally you want BG to drop no lower than 90 so I would suggest you reduce the dose to 1.75u or if you don't have syringes with half unit markings, reduce to 1.5u and see if that doesn't help smooth out her numbers. It looks like Phoebe is bouncing a lot. Her BG is dropping a lot in the early part of the cycle and then bouncing back up to even higher. Even if she is not dropping too low, huge drops will cause bouncing.

A longer lasting insulin like Lantus might be a better fit for Pheobe and I thought I saw something in one post about that possibility. Is that something you are considering?

I realize that it's not possible to get mid cycle tests every day if you are working however, that makes it even more important to get tests in on the night cycles to see how low BG is dropping. Grabbing a test at +2 and before bed will give you a good indication of what the night cycles look like.

How long until the course of ABs is finished?

3. Jenny reyes

Jenny reyes Member

she has it for 14 days twice a day I didn’t give it the antibiotics last nite because it made me worry to much

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

I presume you mean you didn't give Phoebe the antibiotics last night.
    It's important to give the antibiotics for the full dosing period. Not doing so can cause the infection to get worse. If Phoebe is having side effects from the antibiotics, speak with your vet for help but otherwise, it's best to give the antibiotic as prescribed by the vet.

5. Jenny reyes

Jenny reyes Member

I have but the vet just tells me to give her the antibiotics ‍♀️ And I’m worried about her sugar going so high

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

Infections will increase her blood sugar so it's important to give her the antibiotics to help her fight off the infection to bring her BG down. Right now it's impossible to know how much BG elevation is from infection and how much is likely from bouncing but getting both of those problems under control will no doubt bring about an improvement in her BG levels.

7. Jenny reyes

Jenny reyes Member

I did talk to the vet about the antibiotics and told her that her sugars where all over the place because the antibiotics she told me to stop the antibiotics

8. MrWorfMen's Mom

I'm confused. You spoke with the vet again and now she said to stop them? Did the vet suggest a different antibiotic? Is she planning to recheck the bloodwork to see if the infection is gone?

Jenny reyes likes this.
  9. Jenny reyes

Jenny reyes Member

She has been super sick on the antibiotics from throwing up to having darriah and her bs has been bouncing everywhere since she has been on them I will check it I think it is only 25 as soon as I have the money just to make sure it is gone and last nite was the last straw she was so sick she was laying on the floor of the bathroom becuase her sugar was so high from the antibiotics