Phos Binders & Healthy Cats

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by OptOut, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I'm having a hard time with Boo's CRF diet. She hates the renal food, so I tried normal food with phos binders. However, now the cats are playing "musical bowls" and the healthy cats are finishing off her food (with binders).

Does anybody know if binders will harm healthy cats?

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I thought I read something on here recently that it won't hurt. But don't quote me on it. Look in this forum in some past posts about phos binders. You may find the answer in there.

3. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

I'm having the same problem with Smokie about giving the binders if the phosphous is not elevated. I can't get her to eat anything but the food
    that is a little high in phosphorus. I read somewhere to not give the binders unless their
    phosphorus is elevated and my vet said the same thing. Can't remember where i read that. I wish i knew the answer to this.
    Maybe someone will let us know.

4. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

5. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

No harm...just means you may be buying more of it. Silly kitties.

6. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

I don't think there would be a major issue, but I wouldn't recommend it. Epakitin can cause hypercalcemia so cats eating Epakitin-laced food should have their calcium checked. If it's AlOH3 instead, well I wouldn't let my cat eat aluminum unless it was truly warranted so that would be an issue for me. There's no way to feed Boo in a restricted area? Are we talking like 1/2 the other cat's dinner is phos-binder-laced, or a few licks at the bottom of the bowl?

7. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

It is AlOH and the "healthy" cat is eating about 1/2 of Boo's meal (mixture of 1.5 oz Royal Canin renal + 1.5 oz Wellness + 1/8 t binder). Feeding has become a nightmare because nobody likes their own food anymore...Macy is eating the "spiked" food and Boo is eating the Fancy Feast or Wellness that Macy doesn't like. I got Dr. Lisa's CRF recipe and Boo won't touch it. I can try separating her, but she's just not interested in eating...it freaks me out because she has ALWAYS eaten.

Jess - thank you for checking on Kelly.

ETA: Dr. Lisa's recipe does look really good and I think most cats really like it. Please don't let Boo's bad manners deter anybody else from trying it.

8. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Any chance that it's the phos binder that's turning her off? I know it's not supposed to be objectionable... There are other binders out there.

Would she eat AlOH3 and FF?

9. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Ditto for me.

This always a problem in multiple cat households.

Tanya needs to re-word her site if she is giving the 'ok' to let healthy animals ingest unnecessary aluminum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.