Phosporus in food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sharyn & Fiona, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharyn & Fiona

Sharyn & Fiona Member

What's a good level of phosporus in cat food? Or perhaps I should ask what is a level of phosporus to stay under? If I'm going to switch food I'd like to cover the bases.

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I think that if you are dealing with kidney issues, the idea is to be under 200 (see Janet's charts). But if there are no kidney issues then you need not be so restrictive.

Attached Files:

3. cornad

cornad Member

Yeah, I was asking the same question.

My cat has stage II kidney disease and needs a low carb diet because of his diabetes. But according to the charts, it seems there are limited choices of what is low in carb as well as low in phosphorus. For instance, most foods under 200 (in phosphorus) are higher in carb. I've been sticking to under 250-300 b/c I don't see that many choices for me.

4. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

5. troublelaurak

troublelaurak Member

I used Janet and Binky's list to identify foods in the 200 range for phosphorus - there are enough options with low carb in canned form for you to find something that will be reasonable. There is no reason not to keep phosphorous in the lower (rather than the higher) range even for a normal cat provided that there is still quality nutritional quality and protein in the food. One that my cats like is Avoderm cat and kitten chicken flavor. Laura

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

In dealing with kidney issues for one cat, my vet recommended 250 or under.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.