Picking up newly diagnosed 16y/o cat.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lcody, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lcody

Lcody Member

I am thrilled to have found this website! I had my 16y/o cat have a complete panel 6 months ago and all was normal. I went on a two week vacation and had my elderly neighbor come in and check her food ,water etc. when I returned her water dish was dry and she looked dehydrated and wobbly. Took her to vet er , blood work showed low electrolytes. Also BG was 500. Her testing showed Diabetes. (i didn't put together that she had more pee clumps in litter box etc). I will be picking her up today. A little nervous being a newbie. The vet has her on PZI twice daily. I will stop at Walmart to pick up the glocometer to test her sugars. Iam sure there will be a learning curve to get it all right.

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Welcome to the best place you never expected to be.

Please ask questions so we know what you would like help with most of all.

Remember, this is a two way conversation and you need to give us feedback so we can help you to help your kitty better.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. It takes time. One step at a time.

What step would you like to concentrate on and learn more about right now?

ETA: and breathe. lots of deep breaths. You can get through this and we will help you.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The vet stress may increase glucose numbers by as much as 100-180 points. Dehydration may affect the concentration too.

How much weight, if any, did she lose? ie did your elderly neighbor actually make it over to feed and water the cat, or did her memory fail her and your cat? And if yes, maybe contact her family members to let them know, because she may need supportive services.

We encourage feeding low carb canned or raw food for both the water content and the low carb. Cat Info has a printable food list where you may select food based on the percent of calories from carbohydrates. Sticking to under 10% may drop the glucose level 100 points, so home testing is mandatory if already on insulin.

Because of the lack of water and the strain that puts on the kidneys over time, dry food is not recommended. Some cats, however, don't read well and will only eat dry. These are somewhat acceptable in that case. There are very few dry foods which are low carb - Evo/Innova Cat & Kitten dry, Wellness Original Core (tan and gold bag), and Young Again 0 carb (internet order only).

4. Lcody

Lcody Member

Thank you so much! I am on my way to pick up my Dolly from the clinic. I am sure I will have lots of questions upon returning home!

5. Lcody

Lcody Member

Dolly was eating as she I had her on an automatic feeder. Her water bowl was empty when I got home, and I do not know for how many days. The elderly caretaker says he filled her water about 5 days before I returned home, so it's hard to say. When I got her to the vet, they said she was about 5% dehydrated, so they pushed I'vs and electrolytes. I don't know if she had lost any weight though. She was strictly on dry food, but now I will try to switch her to a low carb canned food. I also am on my way to pick her up and purchase a Walmart glocometer to check her BS as she is now on PZI.

6. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

PZI is a good insulin so your vet has some knowledge about FD. Time will tell about the other items that are good for FD, too.

Food- don't let them push the prescription food on you as there are foods in the store that are just as good and have more flavor that what they can give you. If they press ask them about the carb count on them. "I won't be feeding my cat anything less than 5% carbs at this time!!" as the DM wet is around 8% is knocks that out- plus cats get tired of it very quickly. How often do you like to eat liver? Breakfast, lunch, dinner, plus snacks love it? :lol:

Add water to the wet and it will help re-hydrate Dolly fast.

Good luck- we are here to help!

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Please have them start you on a LOW insulin dose (ex 0.5 units or 1.0 units), because you are changing the food to low carb. The last thing you want is a hypoglycemia attack (aka hypo).

And speaking of hypos - instuctions for handling a hypos are here: How
    to treat HYPOS - THEY CAN KILL! Print this Out!!

We strongly encourage learning to home test the blood glucose, so you can evaluate your cat accurately.

8. Lcody

Lcody Member

Just returned from the Vet with Dolly. So happy to have her home. Yippee.
    Good news is they were able to get her down to 1 unit PZI once a day. I did buy 6 cans of the Purina DM to start at $1.80 per can. Wow. That's crazy. And they weren't able to tell me the carbohydrate percentage. I saw the forum recommends Fancy Feasts Classics which most range 4-5% and I am sure much cheaper.
    I was told to feed her 1/2 cup twice daily.
    I purchased a Walmart Glucometer, strips and lancets and was shown how to use it in the vets office, Also I was told to check her BS before feeding her nighttime meal, feed her and then give her the one unit of insulin.

They want to see her back in 7-10 dys to do a curve, but I am wondering if I could do it myself? I see it requires BS readings every 2hrs for a 12hr period.

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

That is a nice dose and as you will be testing, you can be sure you have a safe number to shoot that amount (Not under 200). Yes, Fancy Feast is comparable and much cheaper. DM is liver based and lots of cats tire of the taste. Purina will take back any of their food so you can take it back and say he won't eat it. Yes, you absolutely can do the curve at home. And it will be more accurate. Stress raises levels and most cats are stressed at the vet.

10. Deb & Wink

I think Sue meant to say, it is safe to shoot the insulin if the number is OVER 200.

11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Thanks, Deb. i'll fix it.

12. Lcody

Lcody Member

Than you so much.
    When I picked Dolly up they told me they gave her insulin @ 3am. When I picked her up and did a BG test it was about 1:30ish and her BS was 107.
    I also saw mention of a spreadsheet so as to input her daily levels. How do I go about that and the link etc?

13. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That is a nice number. We like to see cats under 250 as that is the renal threshold. I would be careful to get a number before you shoot and make sure it is over 200. (if it under 200, we suggest waiting 20 minutes without food and retesting. Then if over 200 perhaps shoot a little less than usual)

Here are the directions for the spreadsheet

http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207

It's a little tricky. If you need help, just ask.

14. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Thee is not one value for glucose urine threshold:
    The Animal Emergency Center of Milwaukee, WI[1] uses these renal threshold values for interpreting their lab results: dogs: 180 mg/dL, cats: 290 mg/dL. The Merck Veterinary Manual has the same 180 mg/dL value for dogs, but listes 240 mg/dL as the feline threshold[2].
    http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Renal_threshold
    to the time that blood glucose exceeds the renal threshold concentration of 200 to 280 mg/dL in cats.
    http://www.vetsulin.com/vet/Cats_Monitoring_About.aspx
    Clinical Findings
    The onset of diabetes is often insidious, and the clinical course chronic. Common signs in dogs include polydipsia, polyuria, polyphagia with weight loss, bilateral cataracts, and weakness. The disturbances in water metabolism develop primarily due to an osmotic diuresis. The renal threshold for glucose is ~180 mg/dL in dogs and ~280 mg/dL in cats.
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/endocri ... litus.html

15. Lcody

Lcody Member

Help!

I took Dolly's BG before feeding her and it was only 97. I fed her Purina DM and she only ate 2 Tablespoons. Imwas concerned her BS was too low for another shot so I called the vet and they told me to go ahead and give her the PZI but give half a unit instead of one. She meowed on & off all night, I am sure she was hungry. I just tried to feed her again and she still only ate a small amount?

16. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Did you give her .5 this am when she was 97? that is a very low number for any insulin. You may have a problem with a potential hypo. M

I would check her levels now and see where she is. If she goes below 40, you will need to get some carbs in her body quickly.

17. Lcody

Lcody Member

Thank you for your response. Dolly is only getting PZI once daily. She got her last shot last night of which I only gave her the .5. I haven't checked her level this am

18. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Scared me. Please check her levels this am.

I know we are only strangers on the internet, but it is not safe to give .5 units on a blood glucose level of 97. We suggest new diabetics not shoot under 200. She may have dropped very low overnight and that might be why she was so hungry. They feel their blood sugars low and instinctively want to eat to bring them up.

It also is not recommended to give ProZinc once daily. Cats metabolize insulin within 12 hours and need shots every 12 hours.

I am wondering what her levels will be this am. Either she will be low - meaning she had a very long cycle which indicates too high of a dose or she will be high (suggesting rebound) if she dropped very low overnight.

Rebound: Oddly, too much insulin may result in increase of blood glucose (BG). This "Somogyi effect" is often noted by pet owners who monitor their pets' blood glucose at home.
    The reason: anytime the glucose level drops too far or too fast, the animal's organism may defensively dump glucose (converted from glycogen in the liver), as well as hormones epinephrine and cortisol, into the bloodstream. (If these are insufficient, hypoglycemia ensues!) The glycogen raises the blood glucose, the other two may make the pet insulin-resistant for a time. This phenomenon was first documented by a Dr. Michael Somogyi. [33]
    Even when raising the insulin dose slowly and carefully, it's possible to pass the correct dose and go on to an overdose. (A typical case is increasing bidaily dosage from 1 unit to 2, passing a correct dose of 1.5 units.) This may produce a rebound—a swift jump in blood glucose up from a dangerously low reading, to beyond the previous pre-shot level. Always consult your veterinarian when changing your pet's insulin, and consider smaller dose changes.

19. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Just to give you an idea of the ranges we use:

We consider a cat to be regulated if they range in the mid 200s at preshot and in double digits midcycle but not under 40, which is considered hypo range. A non diabetic cat usually ranges from 40 -120 off insulin with the majority of cats in the 50 -80 range most of the time.

20. Lcody

Lcody Member

OMG. That is the reason I called the vet clinic last night. I told them Dolly only ate two TBSP of food and her BS was only 97 and maybe she shouldn't get the insulin. I was told I needed to give it to her but cut in half. I am so mad I can't believe it.
    This am she hardly ate again, maybe doesn't like that food of which I will change today. Anyway I just took her BS and it was 88. I guess I need to find a new vet.

21. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that it can be difficult for vets to be up to date on every species and every condition that species may have. You might politely suggest you understand how difficult that can be and provide the vet with a printed copy of AAHA guidelines.

22. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Well, it MAY be that you won't need a diabetic vet. 88 is a good number, but yes, I am very nervous about how low she might have gone overnight. So no insulin this am. I would concentrate on getting her to eat. Many cats don't like the Purina. It is liver based. How about getting some Fancy Feast classics - you want the pates - no gravies - and see if she will eat those.

88 and 97 are non diabetic numbers. She may go up again and may need a tiny dose of insulin but for now, I would suggest no insulin. Just get some numbers today if you can and get her to eat something.

23. Lcody

Lcody Member

I am only giving her PZI at night only. I am wondering if maybe she really isn't diabetic. But time will tell I guess. I am going to Petco today to pick her up the Fancy Feast Classic Pâtés? Hopefully she will like them. How often do you think I need to check her BS levels during the day? I am supposed to give her the PZI tonight, of course I will take a BS at that time and try to get her to eat. I am still concerned if her sugar is normal at that time if she should even get a half unit. Even though she is prescribed 1 unit.

24. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Caution: Many cats go lower at night. If under 200 at pre-shot test, please don't shoot.

25. Deb & Wink

Vet stress phenomenon can cause a cats blood glucose level to rise 100-180 points within 5 minutes and stay there for 90 minutes or more. If your cat is anxious during the car ride, the stress will raise the BG numbers too.

Someone did a study where they gave cats baths and because most cats hate baths, the BG numbers would elevate. Testing was done during this process to determine how much the BG levels would be elevated. Results were dramatic, quick and long lasting.

If the diabetes was diagnosed through only a blood draw at the vets, with a glucometer, that is insufficient to diagnose diabetes. Was a fructosamine blood test done in a lab? Results?

There are other reasons for elevated blood glucose levels than diabetes.

26. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

I'm not sure if I have missed something. I have seen posted that this cat only gets insulin once a day. I have not used PZI, but it was my understanding that that all insulins need to be given twice a day.

27. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Can you ask the vet if a fructosamine test was done? I am wondering too that maybe the cat isnt diabetic.

28. Lcody

Lcody Member

The vet clinic said they did a fructosamine test. I just put a call in to have them call me with what that result was.

Yes, Dolly was prescribed 1 unit of PZI once daily.

According to the AAHA guidelines, after monitoring cat for one week(Dolly hospitalized last Friday night and brought home yesterday) if BS is less than 150 insulin can be decreased to 0.5U every 12hrs or consider dosing every 24hrs or suspend treatment and wait for clinical signs & glycosuria before restarting insulin at 0.5u every 12hrs.

I am wondering if Dolly's BS is below 150 tonite that I should not give her the insulin.

29. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I'd say no shot.

And if you decided to shoot anyway, be prepared to stay up all night, have your hypo kit ready, have high carb foods with gravy, and lots of test strips at hand.

30. Lcody

Lcody Member

Well two,phone calls to vets office yesterday to call me back with fructosamine levels to no avail. I will call again today.
    I tested Dollys BS @ 8:00pm last night and it was 125. She then ate 1-2ounces of fancy feast(chicken & liver) and and I took her BS again about an hour later and it was 114. So I did not give her any PZI last night. I left the rest of her can of food out and she seemed to eat more of it during the night. Only left a couple of TBSP. also, she didn't cry during the night.
    This morning I took her BS and it was 179. I tried to get her to eat another Fancy Feast(chicken) and she only ate a TBSP or so. I elected to give her insulin, but only 0.5U. VS 1U. I hope that that is ok. How often should I check her BS levels? I
    Want to make sure her BS levels don't drop too much. Also I am concerned that she didn't eat enough, maybe she doesn't like the plain chicken one?

31. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You might try these things to get her to eat ( though you are right, it may just be the flavor)

Add a litte warm water and mix it up so it is gravylike
    Add some Parmesan cheese or some snack she likes on top
    Sometimes warming it up so it is nice and stinky helps

Good call on no shots the last two preshots. I shudder to think what would have happened if you had just gone home and shot without testing for the past two days. I think your .5 should be okay but I would monitor. Just a little insulin took her down a long way and lasted a long time. Maybe get a +2/3 and then somewhere in the +5/7 range. Just to be prepared, read the hypo thread on the top of this page and have some gravy, high carb food and syrup ready.

32. beggargirl

beggargirl Member

Both my cats got switched to wet when my big orange boy came home diabetic. They had been on dry all 10 years of their life up to that point. They also were not happy with the switch to wet at first. At first they insisted that wet food be fed to them mixed up nicely in warm water; the first couple days I would crunch up a treat and sprinkle it on top to get them to start eating. A few weeks in the both got the runs for a week.

Now, they both love it and will eat it straight out of the can with no complaints. The mixing with warm water was really the key at first for us I think.

33. Lcody

Lcody Member

Thank you. I just tried a mother flavor Fancy Feast, the tuna & seafood one, and she seemed to like that and ate maybe another 3 TBSP. What do you mean regarding a +2/3 etc. .

34. beggargirl

beggargirl Member

She means test his blood at 2 or 3 hours after the shot. (+2/+3)

35. Lcody

Lcody Member

OMG! Of course! I am still so new to all this. Thanks so much!

36. Lcody

Lcody Member

Great news! Finally talked with a different Vet from the clinic who sounds like he knows his stuff. He agreed that Dolly's BS results have been low and certainly not high enough to warrant insulin injections. Her fructosamine was about 475 , not that high and was prob elevated from stress etc.( leaving her home while we were on vacation). So he says not to give her anymore insulin, and ck her BS daily and call him if they go over 300. I am hoping that with her new low carb diet that she will eventually lose a little weight, (at 11lbs 5oz). And not have to go back on insulin. I still can't believe that when I took her home and tested her BS that night, and it was 97 That a vet from that clinic insisted I give her half dose. Wow. I am so glad I found this forum and became a little more educated. Thanks to everyone's input!

37. Sue and Oliver (GA)

This all sounds encouraging. Just for reference, we consider a cat off the juice if they range from 40-120 without insulin for 2 weeks. Your 170 this am was a diabetic number, but nice and low. We consider the renal threshold (where the kidneys are not stressed) to be around 250. If a cat is in the mid 200s at shot time and in double digits (but above 40) at midcycle, we consider them regulated on insulin.

If she were mine, I would keep getting levels and if she is above the 200 range, give her a tiny dose of insulin. It may be that the wet food will bring her numbers down into the non diabetic range over the next few weeks, but I would monitor also.

38. Lcody

Lcody Member

:cry: ugh! I guess I was overly optimistic. Dolly's BS was 138 at 1pm yesterday, 239 @7:20pm, 292 @10:00pm,
    279 @ 11:00 pm, 313 @ midnite. I was worried so I gave her 0.5U. The last Dr I spoke with said not to give her
    Insilin, & call him if it gets over 300. But it was midnight . Her BS this morning is 275. I am so upset over all
    this.

39. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You would have been incredibly lucky if she suddenly had non diabetic numbers and then continued to remission. You are lucky that she is still in the lower ranges and shouldn't need much insulin to keep her in safe good ranges. It is hard to know how much she needs because you have so little data, but I would think, if you can monitor, that .5 would be safe for numbers above 250. I would check at +3 and +6 to see how she is doing if you decide to dose. and review about what to do if she would go under 40.

300 is a pretty high number to wait for, since it is higher than we consider the renal threshold. We consider numbers over 200 safe to shoot as long as the dose is small and you can monitor. Once you see how low the .5 takes her when she is in that 250 range, then you can adjust as needed and relax a little about giving her the insulin.

Your decision. Do what feels safe.

40. Lcody

Lcody Member

Thanks so much for your response. I am so stressed out over this I can barely think straight!.

41. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Have you read this? It may give you a smile.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33671

You are doing all the things right to keep your sweet baby safe. You have the tools. Now that you can keep track of her numbers, you can use that info to help you make good decisions. Just take a deep breath. We'll help you help her.

42. Lcody

Lcody Member

Dolly keeps crying and keeps going into her litter box to pee, but only a little comes out, and the hair all around where she pees is all wet? Do I need to take her to the bet?

43. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

yes go to the vet - it sounds like a urinary tract infection or a stones or urinary crystals.

44. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

the good news is that it if its a UTI ( urinary tract infection) it could spike her BG and be causing the diabetes. Treated with antibiotics I think.

45. Deb & Wink

From Dr Lisa Pierson's website catinfo.org.

46. Lcody

Lcody Member

I called the vet & he is going to give her an antibiotic for uti. I hope that will take care of it. This is all just too much. I am sure that is what also spiked her BS recently.

47. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Hey dont worry! Look on the bright side, she gets the antibiotic, she feels better and maybe she wont need the insulin. So keep an eye on her blood sugar levels as they may drop within a few days.

48. Lcody

Lcody Member

Thanks again for all the wonderful advice. We just love our defenseless pets so much! And of course would do anything we could to make them feel better.

49. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Paws crossed it was the infection and her levels will start coming down.

50. Lcody

Lcody Member

I pray that would be the case! Vet says takes about 3dys for meds to be effective!

51. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

How are things going today? Do you know what type of antibiotic they gave?

52. Lcody

Lcody Member

Dolly is doing so much better today. Yesterday she was getting into her litter box every few minutes and only having a couple of drops of pee come out. The vet put her on clavamox which is an amoxicillin for cats. I am thrilled it worked so quickly. The vet still does not want me to give her any insulin, and to call him if BS goes over 350. Well I have a call into him cause her BS is running around 370 today. I am still hoping it is high because of the UTI. But I really don't know yet.
    I am very curious to see what he says. I don't like it that high!

53. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Yes, the clavamox can work very quickly and very well if it's an infection and not caused by anything else (i.e. crystals). It might take a couple of days up to a week before you see lowered BGs as the infection clears out (or as it resolves itself if it's not an infection).

Good of you to call. I would be a little worried myself since high BGs + infection are part of the recipe for DKA. How is her appetite? What food are you feeding her? If wet, try adding a bit more water than you normally do as this will help flush her out.

ETA: improper use of pronouns :oops:

54. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I wouldn't like it that high either. I wouldn't wait too long giving the antibiotics time to work before i gave a small dose.

55. Lcody

Lcody Member

She seems to like the Fancy Feast whitefish & tuna. I have been warming it up a bit and sprinkling a little parmesan on it. She is only eating about 1/2 of the can three times per day or so. I am also concerned that she might not be eating enough. She used to be solely on dry Science Diet mature cat hairball control only, so transitioning her to wet food only has been a challenge.

56. Sue and Oliver (GA)

If you are thinking you'll wait on the insulin, can you get a ketone test? Not eating well, an infection and not enough insulin can cause DKA:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/ketones.htm

I would be careful and check on the ketones now and then keep checking at least daily, watch for any signs of dehydration or acting sick.

57. Lcody

Lcody Member

Great idea. I will check for ketones as soon as I can. I still have not gotten a call back from the vet .

58. Lcody

Lcody Member

Also I have noticed that I am able to get her to eat more if I hold the plate up to her mouth. Otherwise she would stop eating sooner if I left her alone.

59. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It's important that she eat so I'd spoil her awhile. Once she starts feeling good again, she will eat on her own.

60. Lcody

Lcody Member

Exactly!

61. Lcody

Lcody Member

Ok. Yes I am a pest and I don't care. I called the vet clinic again to see if I could catch the vet in between patients and he got on the line. I told him Dolly's BG level and he said to call him Tomorrow if it is still above the 150 mark. But I will keep. He king her ketones just to be safe, which requires constant litter box vigil.

62. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Sounds like a good plan.. Let us know how things go..

63. Lcody

Lcody Member

Oh my, typo error i meant if her BG was above 350. Witch still worries me.

64. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I think you are right to be worried. 350 is a diabetic number. Now that you can test, you can make sure she doesn't dip too low on a small dose. Is this the same vet that told you to shoot on a 97?

Were you able to get a ketone test?

65. Lcody

Lcody Member

It's a different Vet thank goodness, but from the same clinic. He is the one that said those numbers of 80'to 120ish were low and not to continue insulin till above 300 and to call him before injecting. So after about 3 different vets from initial hospitalization till now I am keeping my fingers crosses this guy knows what he is doing.
    I have not been able to catch my
    Dolly getting in her litter box, but I will keep trying.

66. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You can put some saran wrap in the litter so if some of the urine collects there, you get a good sample.

67. Lcody

Lcody Member

Oh wow, I would never have thought of that. What a great idea. Thanks so much for that suggestion. I am on my way!

68. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

69. Lcody

Lcody Member

Awesome! I did the saran wrap trick & obtained a sample. Thank goodness, negative! Thanks for all the helpful tips. Again, I am so,thankful for this website!

70. Lcody

Lcody Member

Took my Dolly in for her vet check. He has had me monitor her BG levels for a few days and they have been running consistently about 300 up until today and it rose to 380. He is putting her back on PZI half a unit twice a day and wants me to check her BG 4 hours after her breakfast. I know she needs the insulin to bring those numbers down. My concern is after her evening meal I want to check again before giving more insulin. I don't want it to drop to low and risk hypo.
    My latest concern is she has been throwing up bile a couple of times or a day. I hope she doesn't have pancreatitis or something else going on with her. UGH.

71. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Well, you know what we are going to say. :mrgreen: we want you to test before every shot to be sure that her number is over 200 and safe to shoot. And if you can get some tests in 5-7 hours after the shot, you can see how low the insulin takes her.

You need to test before feeding. Food can raise blood glucose numbers. You want to shoot a "real" number, not one influenced by food. We test, then feed and shoot. Lots of us shoot while they are eating.

Hope her tummy settles down. Have you changed to wet food? Maybe sticking with one flavor for a few days is a good idea.

72. Lcody

Lcody Member

Absolutely , I decided since her sugar is so high tonite to feed her and then to give her the Insulin just for tonite. But I will try to test her around 9:00pm to see if it has gone down at all. So tomorrow morning I will test her as I am giving her morning meal to make sure she is still over 200 before giving her more juice. I have had her on wet food ever since this ordeal per all the forums advice and have kept her on the one fancy feast whitefish and tuna which she seems to like. The vet today wasn't to keen on my whole diet change for her saying that the diabetic specific cat foods, either dry or wet are best. But after reading so much on this forum I beg to differ, but we will see. I will check her urine tonite for ketones and watch her closely regarding her vomiting issue.

73. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

I would see if she will eat other food besides seafood as it doesn't have the necessary nutrients for a healthy steady diet of it. Fish or seafood should only be given about two times a week.

As for the vet... they are too well programmed/compensated by Purina and Science Diet to believe that anything found on the internet beats their food. Their time is limited and they spend it on learning about new pet diseases rather than proper food. However- Dr. Lisa is currently writing a paper that explains the right food for cats.

74. Lcody

Lcody Member

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know about the fish not being enough nutrients. She only seems to like that one. I will try to get her to eat other fancy feast classics. Keep my fingers crossed.

75. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I thought the fish restriction was due to the possible contamination with heavy metals such as mercury.
    As far as I know, any manufactured cat food has to meet standards for nutrition.

76. Barb & Mr. Frog

Barb & Mr. Frog Member

Is this the gravy lovers variety? I can't find specific data on that one, but I believe all of the gravy lovers ones are higher carb (just based on the gravy probably)

77. Lcody

Lcody Member

No it is not one with gravy. I bought just the classics and none of them have gravy. I hope this low carb and maybe weight loss would help her go into remission.
    She only weighs 11 1/2 lbs.

78. Lcody

Lcody Member

Help. Dolly has not been pooping. Is it due to switching from dry to wet? What should I do?

79. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

It could be due to the food change, especially if done abruptly. Adding a tablespoon of water to the food may help.

This resource will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about Feline Constipation

How long has it been? If only a day or two, you might try 1/8 teaspoon of Miralax mixed in the food with water.

If several days, a vet visit may be needed to ensure your cat is not obstructed first. Pushing things through will not work if obstructed and may injure the GI tract.

80. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

81. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

Hi Cody (?) -

I'm Lu-Ann and I started my boy Grayson on ProZinc. We did the food change for a week before we started insulin, at the suggestion of an experienced person here. I didn't read anywhere in your thread about this, so I'll pass it on: Some kitties will drop BG levels 100 points just from the food change!

I also have a foster that came to me on 4u ProZinc. She only got lo-carb canned (Fancy Feast Chicken or Turkey). When I tested her she was usually about 75-100... healthy cat numbers. She has been completely diet controlled for 9 months! The food change may be all you need to keep Dolly healthy! And it may turn out to be all you need. Be sure to use the food chart at catinfo.org to find the lowest carb foods for Dolly. G doesn't do well with red meats, so we stick to the poultry varieties with occasional seafood - all FF Classics. list is at www.catinfo.org.

Glad you found us!

I also recently learned that a vet tech who may be pet-sitting for you will not dose any quantity other than what the vet prescribed for the pet. Apparently that is a standard, so I'm not surprised that's what they told you. I have friends who pet-sit for me, and they can call/text me with a number and I can tell them the quantity to dose, if need be. Or they can go from a designated scale based on MY kitty's numbers (ie: above 300 - shoot 1u; 200-299 - shoot .5; and 150-199 - shoot .25u; and anything less than 150 - skip shot.).

So many variables could be affecting Dolly's BGs - your absense, the vet, the infection, not enough water, dry food... so now that you can control the food/water and the infection is getting addressed, you might be surprised to see a significant turnaround. Hope so!

82. Lcody

Lcody Member

Thanks to everyone's posts! Yippee, Dolly finally had a BM after three days. I gave her a tsp of canned pumpkin wither meals yesterday and I think that helped. Also, I have been feedi g her Fancy Feast classsics whitefish and tuna which she really likes. She wasn't eating the other favors till I got that one. I guess I will need to keep trying to get her to eat other poultry classics as well.
    I finally downloaded the spreadsheet template and renamed it, but that is as far as I got.i am not sure how to fill it out yet and what the abbrev mean etc.
    Also, I never thought of regulating Dolly's Insulin as a result of BG readings. Great idea. Her am BG Pre Shot has been running about 275 and 4 hrs later it is 180, except yesterday it dropped to 116. At night pre shot it is about 300. I give her 0.5 Units twice daily.

83. Sue and Oliver (GA)

The spreadsheet: amps=morning number before food and shot. U= units given. +1, +5 = hours after the shot. Pmps=evening number before shot

To put it in your signature so we can see it, first go to Share on top RH side and pick share with anyone with the link. Then got to LH side and choose File, then Publish and start publishing. The url that comes up is the one you highlight, copy and paste into your signature. If you want it to say Dolly's SS, type it this way: [/url= then paste in the long url from your spreadsheet ] Dolly's SS [/url]

Submit and it should come up everytime you post.

84. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Give it a go and if you have problems I can ask someone to help with the sheet.

85. Lcody

Lcody Member

Thank you so much. I am going to try tomorrow afternoon if time allows.

86. Lcody

Lcody Member

Dolly's BG was only 131 this am. Should I not give her the 0.5 U and wait till her insulin is due again and check her BG? Or should I check BG iagain in four hours and if it's up give her the PZI. At that time?

87. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

This is where the sheet would be really handy!

When did you last feed? We normally would want you to wait 30minutes ( dont shoot dont feed) and test again to see if she is rising naturally but if you fed then you wont be able to tell because she will be rising due to the food.

Wendy

88. Lcody

Lcody Member

She grazes during the night. But I fed her right after testing. What to do now?

89. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

To be on the safe side, and given that you dont have a lot of data (no spreadsheet) and she just ate which will influence her numbers, and that there is no experienced PZI users around right now.. I would skip. Edited to add- I sent a PM to Elizabeth and Bertie since they seem to use PZI. Lets see their thoughts.

However it would be really useful data to get some tests in today to see what she does without the insulin. Also do you have urine ketone strips in the house?

For future, its test, then feed/shoot. But if you get a low preshot number- then dont feed or shoot. Wait 30mins and test again to see what she is doing naturally.

And lets get that spreadsheet set up!

Wendy

90. Lcody

Lcody Member

Sounds like a plan. Yes, I have ketone strips and I will keep an eye on BG levels today. Thanks so much. I will try to work on SS this aft when I get back from my Dr appt!

91. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Well since you arent shooting I would get a ketone urine test in later today just to be on the safe side. Later today because his BG is low right now so he probably doesnt have ketones yet but if he heads up above 300 you will want to do one for sure.

let us know if you need a hand with the SS.

92. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi,

I use a different PZI to you, but agree with Wendy that it's better to skip this shot.

That 131 (7.2) is at the higher end of normal blood glucose numbers! Interesting....

Eliz

93. Lcody

Lcody Member

Ok. I just finished the Spreadsheet. I told it to start publishing. Then I copied document link and went to user control panel ,profile tab & edit sig. and under url and pasted. But I don't know if that is correct? I am not so computer savy.

Oh and I took Dolly's BG At 1PM and it was only 1421. No Insulin given this am.

94. Lcody

Lcody Member

I just deleted that from url. doesn't look write now on all my posts Help!

95. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Go into

User control panel
    Edit signature
    Click the URL link above the empty post box, then paste your URL in the centre
    Then click preview to see how it works
    Hit submit if its ok

96. Lcody

Lcody Member

THANK YOU! That was perfect with your help!!! It worked. Yeah.

97. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It looks great. Be sure you have the original copy in your bookmarks or favorites. The one in your signature is a read only.

Now for the numbers. What I'd suggest is to "chase the numbers":

When your cat is consistently in numbers too low to shoot at shot time and in numbers in the 100 range and below during the cycle, you can consider micro dosing. This process should be guided on the forum by experienced members and will require more frequent testing. (If you want help with this, post on the PZI forum)

You may be shooting at times longer than the 12/12 schedule, when the blood glucose levels rise enough to require a small dose of insulin. You will need to pick a number somewhere near the 200 range at which you will plan to shoot, being sure that the number is indeed rising. The dose at these low numbers will vary with each cat and its patterns, so advice should be solicited. But you may be considering doses below .25 and even considering a “drop” of insulin. At this point, U100 needles and the conversion chart may be necessary. (For you, I'd think .5 may work above 200 but your testing will tell you.)

It is important during this period to offer small frequent meals. You may want to experiment with the lowest carb foods to help bring down the numbers, staying away from seafood more than once or twice a week.

Does that make sense? You never shoot earlier than 12/12. You shoot when the number is 200+ past 12/12. So on your spreadsheet, he is at 142 16 hours after the last shot. When he reaches 200, you shoot .5 and then monitor until he reaches 200 again - most likely to be more than 12 hours after that shot.

98. Lcody

Lcody Member

Yes, I think what you said is if her blood glucose is rising to 200 or above that I could give her .5 as long as its been at least 12 hours since her last shot. And keep checking BG levels Until it reaches above 200 again, which shouldn't be for another 12 hrs?

Also, I,tried to feed her the fancy feast classic chicken w/Parmesan on it last night and she only would eat a small amount.i don't want her to starve, that is why I keep feeding her thw whitefish and tuna cause she will eat that one. Any suggestions to get her to like another one?

99. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

ok cool it works!

Could you add some more details to your signature as well as the link ie Dolly ?8lb, 16yr old female . PZI 0.5IU. Meter: ?Relion. Fancy feast. It reminds people whats going on without having to read all prior posts.

As for food, you could try and transition gradually.You could try mixing the chicken ones with the fish ones in varying ratios of fish to chicken until its just chicken eventually...

100. Lcody

Lcody Member

Thanks again. You have been so helpful. I am so appreciative. Next I will try to upload a photo. It's all still so new to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.