Picking up newly diagnosed 16y/o cat.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lcody, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

The size limit for an avatar is 90 pixels. I use the shrink pictures website http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ and select the create avatar function to get smaller pictures.

We love to see kitty pictures! :eek: :shock: :eek:

2. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

PM it to me if you have issues. I have photoshop.

3. Lcody

Lcody Member

Awesome, I will try it tomorrow.

4. Lcody

Lcody Member

Couldn't wait. That photo shrink site helped. The picture is small for my first time, but happy it worked. I will be taking Dolly's BG in one hour. Curious to see how much it has risen since no juice today!

5. Lcody

Lcody Member

I need some input! I bought some Sheba Pâté canned foods in their own juices and Dolly really seems to like them. I,am hoping they are low In carbs?

6. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Your picture is too small - I cant see your pretty kitty well enough - PM me the full size image and I will fix it for you so we can all enjoy!

The carb count isnt on any of our official lists but I saw a thread that discuss it and I think it depends on the type of Sheba - I heard the premium pate is ok but the premium cuts in gravy ( very similar label) are too high carb.

Personally if I cant find it on our lists i dont use it.. I am not spending all that money on insulin etc only to get a high carb food for my cat to eat by mistake! Kinda defeats the whole point..

Wendy

Food lists
    Dr Pierson http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf
    Janet and Binky http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html

7. Lcody

Lcody Member

I received a call from my vet re: Dolly last night. I told him I was emailing him her spreadsheet. He also asked what her BG levels have been. He wants me to do a curve in a few days, but is concerned that Dolly grazes. I told him she only will eat a little and then will come back to her food when she gets hungry again. When I feed her her evening meal, if I don't leave it out overnight she will cry early in the am wanting more food. She is not eating too much altogether either. Two of the Fancy Feast cans a day at the most. Should I be changing how I let her eat?

The vet just called me this morning to discuss the spreadsheet. I told him that her BG was only 76 last night so of course I did not give her her insulin. Her level this am was 177 so I told him I tried to give her .25 which is hard to see on the u40 syringe. But it is very tiny amt. he is in a quandary on what is going on with Dolly and why she is dropping so low. He said he will talk to an internist today and call me back. He is wondering if it is the( I don't know how to spell it) but it is the "rebound" effect.

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I think her numbers make sense. She may be a transient diabetic or her pancreas may be healing. Regardless, she seems to need a tiny bit of insulin to maintain her numbers in that healing range. I'd continue to do just what you are doing. When she is in the 170 -200 range at preshot, give her .25 or .50 units (depending on how low those doses take her midcycle. You don't want her dropping below 40) She may start maintaining herself in the range without insulin at some point, when her pancreas kicks in.

Some people here free feed; some feed at prescribed times (most often after the shot and midcycle) It doesn't seem to bother the cat either way. There is a a school of thought that suggests if her pancreas is healing, small frequent meals will support that.

9. Lcody

Lcody Member

The vet called and said he was going to call the makers of PZI to see if we could dilute it due to Dolly's BG numbers being low. He called me today and said the company said no. So now He wants to change her insulin to Vetsulin and still do it twice daily. I told him her BG numbers have been in normal range and can't I just watch the levels and shoot accordingly. He didn't like that idea. That PZI cost quite a bit and there is a whole bottle still. I think I would like to keep her on the PZI and monitor her closely and if BG rises to juice according to the numbers?
    Any thoughts?

10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't understand your vet's concerns. She is doing great and you are handling things beautifully - giving small doses when her numbers rise. Her numbers look very good and should continue to improve. No, diluted insulin is not a good idea. That's why you give mini doses instead. Vetsulin is generally considered a harsher insulin and can't be dosed any differently than ProZinc. IMHO, it presents no advantages at all.

I would continue doing what you are doing. The next call to your vet could be that she is in remission!

If you need to give doses smaller than .25 or be able to judge the amount easier, you can use U100 needles and a conversion chart and shoot .1 or .2 units. But if you are in a state where you need a prescription for needles, maybe not. It would probably really confuse your vet.

PS. Your thread is three pages long and hard to follow. Time to start a new one. (you can copy the URL at the top of this one and paste it into your new thread)

11. Lcody

Lcody Member

Thanks Sue. I sent you aprivate msg to see if you could walk me through how to start a new thread and how to copymy URL!

You have been so helpful I really appreciate it.

12. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

I totally agree with sue, Dolly's BG are looking really good. I would stay the course for now and see how it goes. It's too early to give up on pzi. Especially since its a better insulin.

13. Lcody

Lcody Member

Thanks so much. That is exactly what I was thinking. I have learned so much from this forum. But I'm still a newbie, and really appreciate the advice from seasoned diabetic cat owners!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.