Pig 5/31 +11 134; amps 123

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LuvinThisPig, May 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvinThisPig

LuvinThisPig Well-Known Member

Yesterday's

Well, he is doing alright on the reduction, but also he had a BCS on yesterday's amps. It will take a cycle or two for him to come back down a bit.

All in all, I do not think I could be happier. Now that I am able to portion and blend the raw appropriately, he is handling it very, very beautifully! He went strictly raw yesterday with no can whatsoever and I saw NO back up. His bladder is perfect! His poos are still a bit runny and mucous-ey, but I am not so sure we will ever see solid poos. For him, a lot is neurological, but I am hopeful. I got in my probiotics yesterday and am going to tag @Wendy&Neko, @Stacy & Asia, @Sienne and Gabby (GA) for dosing instructions. I purchased both the Renewlife "Extra Care" and Renewlife "Everyday". I figure I would start with the extra care until we see a bit more healing. He still has some flecks in his fecal matter, albeit not a whole lot. The raw has seen a significant reduction in that. With the addition of the probiotics I feel they will all but go away.

I am waiting on my next shipment of raw. The holiday weekend junked up the shipping, but it says that it will arrive today by 8. So, keeping my fingers crossed because we are cutting it very, very close.

I hope I am reading this right, but with the EZ Complete you do not need organ meat in with your grind. Also, it is meant for boneless as it uses the egg shell for calcium. I like that because kidney values are always in the back of my mind. I mention this because it is transpiring that this will be the route I will need to go.

I do not know what it is about the raw, but Tail cannot handle it. Well, for now he can't. I had thought texture so I blended one teaspoon of raw in with an 8oz mixture of canned / water. I blended it so much that there was not fiber of raw that was whole. I mean, this stuff was fully mixed in. He ate maybe a tablespoon of it and almost immediately threw it back up. I do not know if his tummy is aversive to it or if the richness is just too much. I am toying with giving he probiotics as well. However, he NEVER throws up and he always has solid poos. He has thrown up twice in the past week, but only immediately after consuming a small portion of raw food. Has anyone ever heard of this?

So I buy and prepare meat for raw food for Pig and then just cook Tails portion. It will work for both, I just wish both would raw feed. Tail might come around with a different protein and I plan to try him on the pork. We shall see...

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. LuvinThisPig

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Is Tail getting probiotics too? Some kitties need a little help restoring the tummy flora used to digest raw. Maybe put him on probiotics for a week before trying raw again. I never used the Renew probiotics, so don't know what the dosing is. As for the mucousy bits of Pig's poo, that's a common sign of the body cleansing as it transitions to raw.

I used the EZComplete too, as I wanted low phosphorus when Neko got CKD. And it was just plain easy to do!

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  4. LuvinThisPig

Your a genius! I just the probiotics in last night and have not started any of it yet. I will certainly dose Tail as well before attempting it again. I did not know that about the mucous in the poo. That is great to know! I am a bit nervous about using the probiotic with Pig, because my vet always said it might be overly constipating if his poos took on shape. Yet, the raw was suppose to do the same thing... Soooo, I am actually thinking with the right ones they will do very well indeed.

This is what I like to hear! Ease! So, no need for organs or anything? Just plain ground meat? Well, novel proteins, of course, but nothing super fancy? Because those organ meats are expensive and then they would need to be ground...

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Just ground meat, water, premix. Easy peasy.

Other things you might see switching to raw are coat shedding (for better stuff), and eye gunk. Both temporary.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  6. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I give one a day, I sprinkle a little bit in each meal, but you could do half in an am meal and half in a pm meal or give in a smaller gel cap. I would introduce it slowly, so maybe give 1/4 to 1/2 cap a day and slowly increase as tolerated. We didn’t have any issues or side effects, hopefully Pig won’t either. :)

I would only add it to food when it’s being eaten, I keep mine in the fridge and I think they are more viable if consumed right away as opposed to sitting in an auto feeder or being frozen, etc.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  7. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Bronx (20lbs) gets 1/2 capsule Renew probiotics in the morn & 1tsp of Kefir at night.

LuvinThisPig likes this.
  8. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I'm with Tail on this one. Maybe I'm Tail's brother in spirit. Raw food - Yechhhh. We want cooked or barbecued. Oh, and a little gravy would be nice too.

Only trying to help:eek::D

9. LuvinThisPig

Thank you! I have been noticing and was wondering about they eye gunk thing... Typically, I only saw that with higher glucose, but then he just started doing it for what I thought was no reason... This makes a lot of sense!

10. LuvinThisPig

I am hoping not... I did not start them tonight because the stupid holiday screwed up shipping on my raw and now he has to have canned until it gets here... :mad: No sense wasting them if the thickeners are just going to render them mute anyways...

Maybe they would help the canned along... I did not think of that. Ah, well.. He will have snacks!!

11. LuvinThisPig

Where do you source your Kefir from?

12. LuvinThisPig

Thanks.. I think he heard you... :p:facepalm:

He is a goob for sure.... He is not much of a catty type cat at all. He would rather loaf around and eat my cashews if I let him. Anything Mom has is what he wants.. Hmmm... Maybe I should buy steak and cook it very rare for him and pretend to be eating it. I do not eat meat hardly at all, myself, but perhaps I can trick him into it...??

JeffJ likes this.
  13. LuvinThisPig

I am a little frustrated with shipping right now. I called the company I buy from and they are usually just amazing. The lady I spoke too triple checked that they would be shipping this Tuesday like always. Because of the holiday. They assured her that they were. Well, it is Friday (early) and the shipping label has not even been created. I was banking on it being here tonight.

Ahhhh, well. No worries. Things happen, but I am just a little upset I just had him transitioned. We will make it work though and I am in the process of finding a way to not have to worry about running out for a bit. Well, that will be a month or two because things are very, very tight after the trip, but I am looking into a deep freeze and ordering about 55lbs of meat at a time. This will cut my shipping for all of it down to 30$. This is much preferable to what I pay now. I usually buy about 6lbs (enough for Pig for the month) and pay about 15$ shipping. That is a massive, massive reduction in shipping costs. But, that is a few months out.. haha.

JeffJ likes this.
  14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I use about 1/4 of a capsule of the ReNew Ultimate. I would start slow on a probiotic.

15. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Whole Foods Lifeway organic plain lowfat kefir (they have full fat, low fat & fat free in the plain)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.