???Piggyback ? on Lantus Solostar Pen ??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by sandscout, May 17, 2018.

1. sandscout

sandscout Member

Hi to all! I don't want to hijack Christy’s post on transferring insulin from pen to vial, but I have questions about switching from the vial to the Lantus Solostar pen.

Always used the vial, but now being retired & on a fixed income, I want to give the Lantus Solostar pen a try.

My vet gave me rx’s for both, but the pharmacist didn’t think I could use the pen to draw from, as apparently the pen has it has its own needle. My question is, for those of you who have used the pen, how is it done using a 31 gauge diabetic syringe? Is there a way to access the insulin with the syringe needle and draw it out, just like it’s done with the vial? The pharmacist didn’t seem to think so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :))

2. Chris & China

Chris & China Well-Known Member

You just take the top off the pen and there's a rubber stopper just like a vial!

Insert the insulin syringe and pull out the dose you want!!
    syringe in pen pic.jpg syringe in pen close up.jpg

sandscout likes this.
  3. sandscout

sandscout Member

Thank you :):):) so much Chris & China!!

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Depending on your dose, a box of pens will give you enough insulin for about 9 months or more. Much more economical than the vials. You will be able to use almost every drop.

sandscout likes this.