Pill Pocket Alternative

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by arozeboom, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

Are there any low carb Pill Pocket alternatives? Ru won't eat any of the flavors I've offered (even the higher carb ones). Pilling her has become a battle of wits...me trying to shoot them down her throat while she tries to spit them across the room. Last night I found one in the hallway, at least 15 feet from where I gave it to her! ohmygod_smile

2. MaryB & Chester

MaryB & Chester Member

Does she like cheese? I've used little crumbs of Velveeta in the past with reasonable success.

3. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

I know she does like a certain kind of shredded asiago (like parmesan only a bit softer). I wonder if that would stay molded around a pill long enough for her to swallow it.

4. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

I've used cream cheese as well with lots of success. Also if she likes boiled chicken you & the pill doesn't taste too bad I have in the past hid pills in small bites of chicken, I just use the tip of a steak knife to make a small pocket in the chicken and slip it to them that way.

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

For tablets which tast awful, first coat with a bit of oil (something the cat likes - fish oil, butter, chicken fat, etc), so it can't dissolve in the food wrapping it (or while you're trying to wrap it!)

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Two thoughts:

1) can you get the pills in liquid form
    2) how about getting it compounded into a flavor she will like - like chicken or fish or something. There are compounding pharmacies who can do this and some that specialize in pet flavors.

7. d0zivyhoo

d0zivyhoo Member

I had this problem too. My vet told me I could halve the Pill Pocket, which I did, and the little darling figured out there was a "rock" inside and ate around it. When I was giving her the full pill pocket, she seemed to gobble it down fine.

I also tried the chunk of chicken route, and again, she found the rock and ate around it.

So, now, I crush her pills and place them in her wet food. She seems to eat it fine.

I am doing this with her Amlodipine for blood pressure, and based on her recent BP readings, the drug is still working even though crushed.

Maybe you can ask your vet if your cat's particular medication will be just as effective if fed in this manner. Even if it's in just a tsp of food, maybe that will work.

DZ and Sarah

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.