Pill Pocket reminder....

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa dvm, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Never use a whole pill pocket. If you use a whole one, they are more apt to bite down on it...and the pill inside and then...they will never eat another PP.

Just break off enough of the PP dough to wrap around the pill. The smaller the thing is that you give them, the more apt they will be to swallow it WHOLE.

If you are breaking up pills, be VERY careful to not get any pill powder residue on the outside of the PP. Keep in mind that cats' noses are VERY...very keen and will smell (and taste) even a tiny bit of powder residue that may end up on the outside of the PP.

I will often tear off a piece of the PP and give it to the cat PLAIN...to 'prime the pump'. Then follow with the medicated PP pieces if you have to give multiple ones.

If your cat won't eat PPs, try rolling them in FortiFlora or parmesan cheese.

I love FortiFlora as a flavor enhancer. Everyone should have it in their cupboard for times when cats stop eating or when you want them to try a new food.

FortiFlora is a probiotic but I am not using it for that purpose. Therefore, I don't care if it is outdated. In fact, I think the stuff in my cupboard expired in '07. I am just using it as I would use salt and pepper on my own food.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this Dr Lisa, going to bookmark.

3. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Dr Lisa, if kitty swallows the pill pocket bit whole, should we still chase with food/water?

4. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

BTW - it is less expensive to buy the DOG size pill pockets -- only a $1 or so more for about twice the amount of moldable treat -- since we break off a piece anyway, it works great.

5. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

C-F...you always ask good questions!

I would say "no"....I would hope that the PP would stay around the pill long enough to protect the esophagus.

In other words, I would think that the PP with the pill would get to the stomach long before the PP dissolved in the esophagus.

Therefore, I have never 'chased' PPs with water.

The other option is to give them a few more PLAIN pieces of the PP after you give them the medicated one(s). Any food going down the esophagus should stimulate motility and, therefore, decrease transit time (increase the speed in which it gets to the stomach).

6. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Okie, thanks :) I had wondered about that, and always followed with a 1-2 small treats and hoped that would be enough. It's hard with denosyl/denamarin, because Nutramax claims the presence of food decreases its absorption. But I figured a slight loss in efficacy was an ok trade-off for not having it lodge in the esophagus.

BTW Nutramax warns about dry swallowing and the pill lodging in the esophagus, and recommends chasing with water when pilling denosyl/denamarin. Good company :)

7. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

And they now come in duck and green pea for the IBD, allergy cats!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.