Pill pockets aggravating vomiting in sensitive stomach?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lenistar, Aug 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lenistar

lenistar Member

Hi, all,

Yesterday my cat was prescribed Cerenia and Metronidazole for vomiting / diarrhea. Yesterday evening was his first dose, and though I successfully got him to take the Cerenia with his food, I was not able to administer the Met (he kept spitting it out from the food, and even when I tried to give it by hand, he spit it out). He didn't vomit at all last night, though he did have some diarrhea.

This morning, I decided to try to give him his Met with a pill pocket, so he ate two of those. (He doesn't get Cernia in the morning.) Then I gave him his regular food. He then threw it all up a few minutes thereafter (in three spots). He's never done that before (thrown up in three spots I mean). Can something as small as two pill pockets aggravate vomiting / GI issues? Or can Cerenia take a bit of time to take full effect? (He's supposed to be on it for three more days.)

I just want my little boy to feel better.

Thank you for your input,
    Leni

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

If his tummy is upset I think anything could cause him to vomit. Is this the first time you've used pill pockets with him? It's quite possible he's sensitive to some ingredient in them.

3. lenistar

lenistar Member

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it's the first time I've used them with him.

His next dose of Cerenia is scheduled for this evening at around 6 p.m. EST (so in about 6.5 hours). Would you try feeding him a bit of his normal food before then, or do you think I should wait until he has his next dose of Cerenia before feeding him again?

Thanks again.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You could try a bit of food. I think the Cerenia should kick in within a couple of hours of the dose.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Metronidazole tastes terrible. I always put it in #3 gelcap and use a pill gun.
    Cerinia should be given about 1 hour before eating. I also use a gelcap/pill gun to administer it. It fils in a #4 gelcap and maybe the smaller #5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.