pip's dose more than doubled by vet

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by hidecote, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hidecote

hidecote New Member

Hi, I have been posting on the general forum, however Pipkin after emergency visit to vet has had his dose more than doubled, here a a quick history:
    Pip was a stray who I befriended 2 years ago, he had wound to neck had fleas and coat was horrific. Vet treated wound and shaved him, but no tests were done for anything else, even though his back end was unstable. it was over a year later when I noted he was drinking far too much and always hungry and lethargic that i took him to vet. A test showed he had dm. His reading was 597. So he started on 1 unit vetsulin lente bid, and over 5 months raised to 5 units. Pip did not show much improvement. I had been using Insulin from December, vet said it was good 2-3 months, but in March Pip wasn't eating properly wasn't interested, and finely 13 march I tested for ketones and got a positive and he also was limp. (I should say he had all his teeth out in October and seemed to perk up). While in vets he was increased to 7,8,9,10,11units bid over 4 days.

I am now out my depth, all I know is I want to give Pip the best chance, and would appreciate any comments from you.
    Thanks
    J&P

2. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Hello J&P. Sounds like you are having a tough time with Pip!

I'm unclear what insulin you are currently using (please clarify)...however, no matter what it is, is sounds like it was increased too quickly. But, with the ketones, you have to be very, very careful - you can't simply decrease.

It sounds to me like you are wondering if Pip could be "insulin-resistant". There are two blood tests that can tell you if there is a reason for his high doses - IGF-1 and IAA. Please read the "sticky" entitled "Acromegaly and Other High Dose Conditions: What We Know". These tests require only that your vet draw some blood and then send the samples to Michigan State University (they are the only ones in North America that perform these tests). The links to MSU are also in that sticky. If he is positive on either one, he may actually need more insulin.

Additionally, I would recommend that you get the Precision Xtra meter with the blood ketone strips. The meter is less than $25 at Walmart; the strips have to be ordered or purchased off e-Bay. However, since Pip has had ketones, you will be able to test as needed rather than stalking the litter box.

3. hidecote

hidecote New Member

While Pip's been home, his numbers were dropping to new levels, though still too high, but over last couple days he is away back up to the high 400 amps/pmps. The vet said to up insulin to 12 units each shot 3 days ago, would this be causing rebound, there must be a reason. I live in the UK and my vet wanted to PTS, 2 weeks ago, I know he may have other issues, he is due to have another fructosamine test tomorrow, I would appreciate any thoughts, I wanted to slowing bring dose down, it's just difficult when I work shifts to keep an eye on him.

Thanks
    Jayne and Pip

4. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Hi Jayne,

We have another site for acromegaly, and there are a few people from the UK on that site. Please go visit: www.catacromegaly.com You will have to request permission, but it's usually granted quickly.

You can get the acro test in the UK: UK (free test): http://www.rvc.ac.uk/CIC/Current/Internal.cfm

Now, keep in mind, we have no idea if Pip really is acromegliac, but your dose really is high and it would be a good idea to test, even if to rule it out. Please don't give up...read the stickies at the top, go to catacromegaly.com and get in touch with the UK people and try to get things figured out.

5. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Hi - very busy at work today, but wanted say - please get the Acro test done -
    will come back later to post more...
    phoebe

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Hi Jayne,

There are some conditions that cause Insulin Resistance - hopefully you've had a chance to read about them.

When given enough insulin, our high dose cats can feel pretty good.

They may have headaches or arthritis, so a painkiller might help them to feel better. Buprinex is a good one. Norton responded well to Prednosolone - an anti-inflammatory.

phoebe

7. hidecote

hidecote New Member

help please, Pip not good, his numbers high 500+ last night and this morning, he has been trying to pass stools so hard that he has been sick, he was laying panting with moth open, I cleaned mess and his numbers were off the scale. I gave him different food yesterday it said 14% protein and called encore. I called the vet he is coming in about 1 hour. I know he will suggest pts, what do you think, anyone know what could be happening to Pip. I'm going back down to sit with him, I'll keep checking ta

8. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Some cats have trouble with passing stool - possibly IBD.

Cats can be given a stool softener - I forget what it is called - perhaps Lactulose? Also, some people need to give their cats an enema once in awhile.

I will try to get some help from HEALTH forum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.