Pita's Dosing Party: 3

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Caitlin M, May 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Doing a curve today. 357 AMPS, gave 1.8 units. +2 was 331, +5 (little late but it will even out for every 2 hours) was just 251. Think I will hold off on a +6.5 snack since he's not dropping too much.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Tomorrow id go to 2 for those 300+ preshots.

Caitlin M likes this.
  3. Caitlin M

No blood for +9, will try a +10 instead

4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Oh Pita! I kept meaning to post since you and I both seem to go through these weird times where all of a sudden it's harder to get a tests....Sam was a little dehydrated about a week ago. There were a few days when I was really struggling to get his ears to bleed, and then he was constipated, and then I realized he was dehydrated. Once I got his hydration back up, his ears started bleeding again. Which in hindsight makes perfect sense! Anyway, I wondered if that might be a factor for Pita, too. Maybe try giving him extra extra water, or plunking him in front of the water bowl a little more and see if it helps.

Caitlin M likes this.
  5. Caitlin M

+10 was 315.
    Do you think I should try 2 units tonight?

6. Caitlin M

I hadn't thought of that! I got blood for all the other tests so I think it may have just been a 'bad batch's of me testing. I'll try plopping him in front of the bowl though!

Djamila likes this.
  7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I would.

Caitlin M likes this.
  8. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Just like people getting blood tests or donating, they tell them to be well hydrated ;). Doesn't come out so well if we're not hydrated either :)

Caitlin M likes this.
  9. Caitlin M

Wondering what you all think about this. I had originally bought the automatic feeder for when Pita was going low during the day, so he had a midday snack. The past 3 days I have withheld the snack because his numbers have been consistently high. He has meowed a couple times this weekend near his bowl, like he knows he should have had a snack. Before this I NEVER gave food except for twice a day. So my question is, should I keep giving the midday snack regardless of his numbers being high or omit it until his numbers (hopefully) go a bit lower again? Thanks all!

10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Many people here feed low carb food multiple times a day and it doesn't interfere with BG control. Some cats seem to do better this way. You could try it for a few days to see what happens. It doesn't have to be extra food - you can divide the daily ration into several meals.

11. Yong & Maury GA

How is his weight now? I forget if Pita needed to gain, lose, or maintain :confused:

12. Caitlin M

I believe he's gained a little back. He was a bit skinny for my liking but the vet never said specifically whether he needed to gain. I can tell he's gained a little though which I'm happy about!
    I don't think it has interfered with his BG at all. I know I left it more as a buffer in case he went too low, but even based on all his higher numbers, it hasn't caused it to spike.

13. Yong & Maury GA

Maybe cut the portion of snack so he feels like he got extra? ;)

14. Caitlin M

Yeah all in all, I think I'll keep it in. If it becomes an issue I'll remove it. It doesn't seem to be hurting at all so I'll make him/them happy!

Rachel likes this.
  15. Kris & Teasel

Happy is good ! - a reward for all the poking.

Caitlin M likes this.
  16. Yong & Maury GA

Hey Caitlin, haven't seen you around much. How are you and Pita? :cat:

17. Caitlin M

Hello Yong! And all you other amazing people. Yes I've been reading posts but just haven't posted myself. Been a little busy and then very tired. Pita is doing pretty well overall. I've tried to get some good data on the weekend. His PS #'s are still a bit higher than I'd like to see but I just increased to 2.4 units this morning. I can tell that his numbers are also higher PS because he acts ravenous. Have been leaving his food for about +6 during the day and it's (obviously) empty when I get home. When I've been home on the weekends, I can see when he hears it and will jump off the bed to go eat, it's kind of adorable. So yeah, nothing to really report. Been trying to get some +#'s before bed but it doesn't always work. Just the increase today so I'll see what happens! Thank you for checking in :) it means a lot.

18. Djamila

I'm so sorry to see his numbers still being so stubborn! You're doing a great job of taking care of him and making the needed adjustments. Are you still liking the new job?

19. Caitlin M

Thanks Djamila, that's so nice of you! I'm trying my best :cat:. I'm pretty interested to see what happens when I do finally get a new vial of ProZinc. Yes, so far so good, but very long days. I actually need to make myself stand up to unpack everything! How is Sam btw?

20. Djamila

Did you move recently (and please forgive my terrible memory if you already told us that!)? Sam is starting to rise a bit too. He looked like he was getting close to being done with all of this, but recently his numbers have been turning upwards again. Not exactly what I was hoping to see!

21. Caitlin M

I didn't move (yet-many months away!) Just the new job! Lol I'm totally teasing you but I just looked at Sam's SS and I'm jealous of your 'rising numbers' :p

22. Djamila

Lol...I know, I know...I shouldn't be complaining. But he was sooo close!!!

Yong & Maury GA, Rachel and Caitlin M like this.
  23. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Glad to "see" you again Caitlin! Looks like Pita is getting some nice numbers mid-cycle...that green you got a few days ago is lovely! Hopefully the increase helps those PS's come down some!

Caitlin M likes this.
  24. Caitlin M

Just an update! Gave 2.6 units this evening. Will see what before bed test brings and am ps!

25. Djamila

I was looking at your spreadsheet this morning, and I just don't get it. Pita definitely hears his own music at this dance! Hopefully you'll find a breakthrough dose soon!

26. Caitlin M

I don't get it either! It makes me feel horrible. I am wondering about the bottle not being 'as' good, but he's still had lower mid numbers. Either way, I'll order a new bottle for next weekend. Here's to paws crossed with 2.6!

27. Caitlin M

199 AMPS. Now, I realize this is a bit crazy but I'm still going to give 2.6 and test again in two hours/multiple times today. I'll be home all day so I feel comfortable being able to monitor. Hopefully I don't shoot myself in the foot with this decision but I'd like to see what happens! Stand by everyone, this may get messy :woot:

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  28. Djamila

I realize I'm three hours late to the party, but looks like Pita is doing well so far!

Caitlin M likes this.
  29. Kris & Teasel

Good so far!

Caitlin M likes this.
  30. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Heyyy looking good!

Caitlin M likes this.
  31. Caitlin M

+6 was just 58. The great thing is, the feeder opened about five minutes later so he just had a snack!

Djamila likes this.
  32. Yong & Maury GA

Very nice Pita! :woot:

Caitlin M likes this.
  33. Caitlin M

So here's my jumping ahead question- even if his PMPS is lower like it was this am, I should stick with 2.6? I'd like to think this may be his good dose (anti jinx!) So I don't want to go lower again...?

34. Yong & Maury GA

:bookworm: 22 April you had similar blue PS numbers and could've held the dose for both. Couple times before that in early April with hitting similar nadir in 60's. Can you get some before bed tests or test? :)

35. Caitlin M

Yes I'll be able to do a before bed test and/or wake up for one. Thanks!

36. Caitlin M

+9 was 112. I just realized I have my SS set up by 12 hours still! I need to fix that for 13/11.

37. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

@Yong can help with that, I believe.

38. Caitlin M

257 PMPS, gave 2.6u

It's good!

Rachel likes this.
  39. Yong & Maury GA

I made templates for those schedules if you want one, Caitlin :)

40. Caitlin M

As most of you read, theres' been some major activity outside of Pita's party, so I'm sorry for not responding! AMPS was 141. What the-! Unfortunately I was unable to come home last night so I didn't get any other tests to see where he went :banghead: So I stalled 20 minutes and had a nice 166. Fed and reduced to 2 units instead of the 2.6. I had no clue how much to reduce it by, but felt comfortable with that as I didn't want to give too big a reduction either. I will test once before I leave and hope to be back with time to do another + before his PMPS. Of course I'll be out most of the day...oh Pita!

41. Kris & Teasel

All you can do is experiment this way - ie., dosing on a lower PS - to gather data for your SS. Good work!

Caitlin M likes this.
  42. Yong & Maury GA

When you look at your SS again, switch the numbers. Kris gave me that suggestion a while ago too, it is more helpful to know the number you dosed on in the cell :). If my words are too confusing, you can look on my Stalling cell notes :D

Kris & Teasel and Caitlin M like this.
  43. Caitlin M

Thank you! I switched it all around

44. Caitlin M

PMPS was just 267. Not sure if I should go back to the 2.6 units or maybe bump it down to 2.4 or 2.2 and see what happens?

45. Caitlin M

Went with 2.6 and will see what tomorrow brings! Just trying to figure out if he's maybe bouncing from 2.6 and I can try lower again....not quite sure!

46. Djamila

I was wondering about that too based on the first two readings this morning, and with a lower dose even. It's hard to say. I read an article where they had continuous glucose monitors strapped to some kitties in the research. It looked kind of awful having these boxes strapped to the kitties' backs, but wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to be home and could still get all the numbers?!?!

Caitlin M likes this.
  47. Yong & Maury GA

I saw that too! Probably same article :p

Djamila likes this.
  48. Caitlin M

+6 last night was 208. AMPS was just 184. Going to give 2.4 and actually do a curve today. Lol as of right now (it's also very early) I can not for the life of me figure out his pattern! Figured since I'm doing a curve I reduced his dose but not by much, so I'll see what happens! Similar to yesterday.

49. Kris & Teasel

Actually, on the days where you have mid cycle data he shows a smile-shaped curve quite consistently. That's a good pattern. His AM/PMPSs are erratic. They were better at lower doses (1.2 - 1.6 u) when you were using a sliding scale. There's a strong case to be made for consistent dosing but Pita might do better with a carefully designed sliding scale where the dose differences AM and PM are kept small. I know we encouraged you to try consistent dosing but all of this is an experiment. You try something for long enough to gather lots of data and then you evaluate.

Let's see what the others think. I know you've been agonizing over dosing and I really hate to put a wrench in the works but there's enough data on your SS comparing the two regimens (sliding scale versus consistent) that there's an obvious trend to my eye.

50. Yong & Maury GA

I see what Kris is talking about and it could be a good thing to try, if you are up for it ;). Second observation, hopefully others have noticed too and maybe can explain to me, around starting 1.6U and going higher Pita seemed to give more pink PS. Of course he threw his own wrench in now :p. I'm having problems with finding words right now :facepalm:... Pita was doing very good on lower doses, has had a little time in higher (for him) numbers, and might be going back to good numbers. Could there be a flare up something attributing to his possible pattern?

51. Djamila

Kris, do you mean having a different AM dose and PM dose? Or the kind of sliding scale where you shoot different amounts based on the pre-shot ranges?

Weren't the 1.2 to 1.6 shots when it looked like Pita was moving down the dosing scale? If that's right, then at that point (going down the scale), I absolutely agree that a sliding scale is appropriate to keep the kitties safe. My push for consistency is when a kitty is moving up the dosing scale which is the direction Pita has been going the past couple of weeks. Right now, I'm inclined to say lower it a little because of the two recently low pre-shots, and see if the pre-shots settle down a bit, and keep getting data on the mid-cycles to know if you can hold at 2.4 (or maybe even 2.2?) or need to go up or down from there.

Yesterday's cycle with the 2.0u dose and getting to 99 early in the cycle makes me think he may possibly maybe kinda be thinking about moving back down the scale again. Or it might just be one of those things...only time will tell.

And Caitlin, I'm so sorry you woke up to test and found a flat cycle!!! That's so frustrating. But good job getting that +6 anyway. The flat cycle does tell us that he might have gone rather low during that AM cycle which is good info to have anyway.

52. Kris & Teasel

In general the pink PSs coincide with the consistent dosing regimen near end of April onward.

53. Kris & Teasel

My fault! I haven't been clear on what I meant by a sliding scale. To me a sliding scale is one where the dose changes based on PS numbers. That can be a tweak up or down depending on what the PS is but "sliding scale" also includes adjusting the dose to a set amount if PS falls in a certain range. Either way, the dose is changed based on PS at a point in time versus giving a set dose both AM and PM for several cycles if numbers allow. I guess I view one interpretation as a looser definition of sliding scale and the other is a more prescriptive set of directions. That's where I'm coming from .. sorry if I confused things. o_O

Djamila likes this.
  54. Caitlin M

Thank you all SO much for all this input so far! His +2 was 215, +4 was 105. I have been wondering if I should try a small adjustment in the units for am/pm. Even just .2 more during the day and. 2 less at night. But as you guys said also, it may not need to be a set amount, just change it depending on PS number. Hmm, what to do, what to do?! I'll see what the rest of the curve brings today. Also, he has an appointment with the new vet Tuesday at 5, so I'm hoping it all continues to go well with her!

55. Yong & Maury GA

Ah yes, good point. Like I said, my brain is not on par this morning :). Just took a quick look too, about to head out the door!

56. Djamila

Oh Caitlin! I'm so glad you got a vet appointment!!! Hopefully the new vet will be a better fit, and more willing to collaborate with you on Pita's care.

Maybe that 2.6 was your breakthrough dose and Pita will start moving back down again. I think if you need to offset the AM/PM doses a little, that's totally fine. Can't wait to see your +6 today!

Caitlin M likes this.
  57. Kris & Teasel

I'm so glad you have an appointment with a new vet. You're already doing things the FDMB way and you can show her your SS, etc. She might have her own ideas about how often to test, etc. but she should respect your wish to do what you've been doing. :)

Caitlin M likes this.
  58. Caitlin M

+6 was 47. He and his brother were outside for the last hour, enjoying the sun. I was calling him to test on the deck, but nope, he was waiting for me downstairs! I tested him and the feeder had been set to open in half an hour, but I obviously opened it immediately. He ate as much as he wanted and is now sitting on the deck again cleaning his face. I know 47 is a bit scary, but I fed him and he's now back outside. I can monitor him outside and test again at the +8. If the consensus is to try to test sooner I will, but I actually feel ok with everything. Thoughts?!

PS- what are you doing Pita?! Lol

59. Caitlin M

IMG_20170528_110847.jpg
    Post test, enjoying the sun again!

60. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Aww he looks super happy! That 47 is a crazy number...how much did he eat? I might grab another test just to be sure he's coming back up..I know he ate and that's good but if it was me, I'd just want that peace of mind!

Djamila and Caitlin M like this.
  61. Djamila

Lol...ah kitties and sunshine! If it was me, I think I'd do a +7 just to be sure, and then skip the +8 as long as he's risen enough by then. And of course keep an eye on him between now and then and test sooner if you suspect anything.

62. Djamila

63. Djamila

Oh, and you probably know this, but...I think a little dose reduction is in order!

Caitlin M likes this.
  64. Caitlin M

I can't say for sure how much he ate but he was in front of the bowl for 3-4 minutes. Not helpful at all.....
    I'm thinking a +7 might be good as well. Then I can do a 9, 11, PMPS.

65. Caitlin M

How is it that we were all just discussing his dose and where to go..and now this! Sneaky kitty. Yeah I'll probably go with 2 units and see where he goes. I happened to be out until midnight last night so that's why I tested. I'll have to set an alarm and see what he's doing tonight!

66. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

There ya go! I think that would be fine.

After looking over your SS, I'm inclined to think a sliding scale might be in order too. I used one for awhile with Gypsy, but she's not a great example because she was also sick with other things at the time, which we didn't know. However, that seemed to help a bit.

67. Caitlin M

Was your sliding scale a different but set dose for each shot, or you dosed based on her PS each time?

68. Djamila

I wonder if we could all give very specific examples of what we mean by sliding scale, and then work on some precise vocabulary for each type since it seems like we use those words to mean several different things, and I'm getting confused. Here is what I think I've gathered so far as possible interpretations:

Example 1: A different AM dose than PM dose, but both are held with some consistency. So for example, you may give a 2.0u in the morning, and a 1.8u at night, but shoot those doses consistently (until the cat does something to make you change it).

Example 2: The Vetsulin version
    350-300 = 2.6
    300-250 = 2.2
    250-200 = 1.8
    200-170 = 1.4
    170 and below= no shot

Example 3: Go with your gut? The dose may vary by 0.2u (or so) up or down, depending on a combination of the pre-shot and the nadir from previous cycles. So on Monday you get a pre-shot of 200 and a nadir of 47. The next day you get a pre-shot of 212, so you lower the dose a bit because of the similar pre-shot and wanting to stay a bit higher. On Wednesday you get a pre-shot of 284, so you raise the dose a little bit again to accommodate the higher number and get a nadir of 65. On Thursday you get a pre-shot of 173, so you lower the dose by quite a bit since the previous cycle had been responsive and you were staring lower. So not a set scale, but instead factoring in everything and making an educated guess. (This approach most often just results in bunch of unpredictable cycles, but sometimes given works schedules it's the best you can do).

Example 4: Responsive Flexibility? Used mostly when moving down the dosing scale: You get a nadir of 42, so you lower the next dose. Three days later, you've had a bunch of higher flat cycles, so you raise it a tiny bit again. A few days later, you get another low nadir of 48, so you bring the dose back down again, hold it, get another low nadir, bring it back down some more....then get some higher flatter cycles, so you raise it a little bit again....and so on. So it's consistent dosing, but the cat's responses are making you shift more frequently. It's a lot of adjust and hold...adjust and hold...but the "holds" might only be for 2-3 cycles before the cat does something that requires another change. This approach requires more frequent monitoring than Example 3, and can be a bit more aggressive. And it's much more strongly weighted toward the nadir than the pre-shot.

Any other examples? Or changes to these?

69. Caitlin M

This was amazing! I think due to my work schedule I'd need to go with examples 1 or 2 since I can only get midday tests during the weekend. Which is great, but it's only 2 out of 5 days so I wouldn't feel totally comfortable with example 3. I like example 1 but I've done it before- which is good because I'm familiar with it. I like the sound of example 2, I may just change the PS #'s a bit as well as the dosing due to his numbers so far...I'd probably want some guidance creating my own PS to dosing #'s. Example 4 raises the same concern for me as example 3 with knowing nadir during the week. Maybe I should flip a coin and choose 1 or 2!

70. Caitlin M

Also, +7 was 69 :D

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  71. Djamila

Yes, to clarify on example 2 - those were totally random numbers - not meant to be used for Pita at all. If you wanted to try that approach we would need to look at Pita's spreadsheet and try to design it from his numbers right now.

Caitlin M likes this.
  72. Caitlin M

Oh ok good! I'm very intrigued by that idea....

73. Kris & Teasel

I'll weigh in later. I'm on my way out. Apologies for opening Pandora's Box ...

74. Caitlin M

No
    No apologies necessary! It had been on my mind but it hadn't come out yet! So it's a good thing.

75. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

The way I did it was example 2. I had a specific number to shoot based on the preshot values. We can certainly design you something like that if you want to try it?

76. Djamila

Not Pandora's box in a bad way though! I think it's good to talk about things like this and figure out what we all think about it! It's that whole idea that we are all together smarter than any of us alone. Pita's been tricky to figure out, so working together maybe we can have a better chance of figuring out a helpful approach for him!

77. Caitlin M

I think that would be great. I'm willing to try something new!
    Not at all bad! I agree with you all the way. I'm such a talker that sometimes it's even harder for me to get out exactly what I mean by typing. So really being able to figure things out and explain helps me SO much. And I know I'm almost 4 months in, but I still feel very new, especially when looking at the SS. I'm still waiting for when I can look at it like so many of you do and have better educated thoughts! And yeah, Pita has been all over the place!

+9 was just 72.

78. Caitlin M

+11 was 157. He almost doubled in the last two hours, while sleeping. I'm hoping he doesn't rise too much more. Trying to anticipate it a little for dosing tonight. Thoughts?!

79. Caitlin M

200 PMPS. I gave 2.4 this am on 184. I had every intention of only giving 2.2, but I just realized I gave 2.4 again. :eek: come on Caitlin! So, yes, we shall see what my .2 mistake brings in the am.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  80. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It'll be good data either way!

81. Caitlin M

Alrighty, I meet with the vet tomorrow and will see how it goes. I'd like to come up with a new PS# = dose amount, this week. Any and all help would be amazing!

82. Yong & Maury GA

83. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey Caitlin, how did the vet visit go? I'm assuming tonight's PMPS might be vet induced? I'm not super great at coming up with sliding scales...Yong, how are you at it?

Caitlin, did you want to try the different AM and PM doses first?

84. Djamila

Caitlin, before you try a sliding scale, you might look around at some kitties who are using one. I think EricH does it, and ShipsCat. Not sure if anyone else has tried it. Maybe someone else can chime in with examples?

85. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if doing 2.2 in the morning and 2.4 in the evening wouldn't work out for you. That MIGHT help even things out.

When I did a sliding scale, I basically had one dose for yellows and a dose that was 0.2 higher for pinks. My baby never got into those blue preshots though...she stayed pretty darn flat.

86. Yong & Maury GA

I'm not confident enough to make a sliding scale yet ;). Eric does use a sliding scale for Phoebe but I think the smaller differences like Rachel suggested above, work better for Pita. I'll look at his SS when we get back :)

Caitlin M likes this.
  87. Djamila

Holy Moly, look at that bounce! Good call on the big reduction this morning! Looks like 2.4 might be too much right now given the lime green and then the black. Can you hide Pita under your desk at work to get some more mid-cycles? ;)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  88. Caitlin M

Hey all! I wanted to wait until I had my computer to respond.
    Rachel-you are very correct on the vet induced number! I gave him Cerenia for his motion sickness while traveling. It worked but he still drools/foams at the mouth horribly. Drooling doesn't even do it justice! The vet visit was okay overall. She was nice! I brought info I had printed regarding human meters and his SS and she didn't want any of it. She said 'the numbers you have mean nothing to me'. Fair enough, but it takes two seconds to look at it and understand. She also wants to do an initial curve on him before prescribing more insulin. So I have an appointment on Monday. HOWEVER. I need to drop him off at 8:30, so I would need to spend all weekend moving his shot time around just for them/one day. That frustrates me! She said she knows the numbers will be a bit off, but we can compare mine to hers. Ok, so now I need to learn a pet meters range in order to understand what she gets. ::Scratching my head:: We got home and it was his shot time, but yes- 559 PS! I knew he got stressed but in the three months I've tested him, have never seen a black number. That got my head spinning a bit and I couldn't sleep. I reflected on it all and decided to call the other vet, because she had said she didn't even require an initial curve (I forgot she had said that :confused:) and she herself had a diabetic cat. I left a new message with her and hope to hear back today or tomorrow. I liked the vet last night well enough and she is willing to 'work with me' to an extent. I honestly can't picture bringing him in, having a stranger poke him all day and then have them 'happy' with the results, especially given his PS last night. I also worry about the backlash I may get from it. What if it takes a few days for him to recover and then I can't even test him because he's so traumatized?! So, I still have the appointment for Monday but am hoping to cancel it once I speak with the other vet.
    Djamila I would love to bring him! Lol
    I'll have to look at those two members you suggested Djamila! Thank you. Rachel, wouldn't I give a slightly higher dose for the am since it's 13 hours and the slightly smaller for pm? I looked back at my SS because there had been a time I was trying to do a sliding scale, but now that I look back, I don't think it ever fully worked that way! I feel like I'm just shooting in the dark (no pun intended but haha!) based on his numbers! I'll try to really think about it today and come up with a dose based on numbers system.
    I hope this all made sense to everyone! There's so much in my head I may be hard to understand :smuggrin:

89. Caitlin M

Oh! I also ordered a bag of YA Zero which arrives on Friday so I'm excited to try it!

srk4cats likes this.
  90. Djamila

Oh, that's why he had a black number! I forgot about the vet visit! It honestly doesn't sound like that new vet is that great either. Even when my vet wasn't that great at FD (their clinic has learned a LOT in the past couple of years), he still didn't require an in office curve. And while they aren't a fan of the human meter, they are willing to work with me on it.

Fingers crossed that the next one will be a better partner in all of this!

Yong & Maury GA and Caitlin M like this.
  91. Kris & Teasel

Well, you've been through the wringer, Caitlin! :confused:

Re vet: I'd be miffed if a vet completely dismissed what I was doing (meter, SS) without so much as a glance at it. I also don't think an office curve is required. At Teasel's diagnosis, my vet told me up front that I would be doing a curve at home. I think it's OK for a new vet to want to see the kitty for a once over before prescribing insulin but other than that, you should be able to do your own curves at home (even if it means getting a pet meter for curves only - that sacrifice is probably worth it) and you should be able to call in for more insulin when you need it. Again, going with my experience with my vet.

Re sliding scale: I have no experience with that and couldn't have done it with Teasel because he's both erratic and overreactive. I wouldn't be of much help designing one. However, if I was dealing with a slightly more moderate cat, I could see myself using what I'd call "responsive dosing" - ie. tweaking the dose up or down a small amount (o.2 u?) based on PS and past history.

Caitlin M likes this.
  92. Caitlin M

206 PMPS. I gave 1.2 on the 146 this morning. Thinking 1.6.....Help?!

93. Kris & Teasel

You could try that. Every dose is an experiment. :)

Caitlin M likes this.
  94. Caitlin M

Lol would you believe me if I said that experiments weren't ever my thing in school?! :p

95. Kris & Teasel

They are now! :D;)

Caitlin M likes this.
  96. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh lord! Well throw my suggestion out the window lol! What nice preshots you've had today!

Yong & Maury GA and Caitlin M like this.
  97. Djamila

Pita climbs up the dosing scale...Pita slides down the dosing scale...Pita climbs up the dosing scale.....Pita slides down the dosing scale....

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

98. Caitlin M

EVERYONE! I am ecstatic and obviously wanted to share. I called back the other vet and finally just spoke this evening. She seems AMAZING! She herself had a diabetic cat, used a human meter to test and just needs to see him once to give a prescription. No curve necessary at all. She'll look at my SS and that's it. I am so excited and have an appointment in Tuesday morning. ::Massive sigh of relief::
    Oh, side note- I'm moving across the country on September 6 so I'll have to start calling vets in LA before then. I'll make a post about that closer to the date itself :D

99. Djamila

Oh Caitlin! That's so great! Hooray!!! And what about this move?!?! Which part of LA? Why? What are you doing?!?! LA is in the state or the city (I'm assuming you mean SoCal, but maybe not?)

100. Kris & Teasel

Great news about this vet!! :D

Caitlin M likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.