Pita's Dosing Party: 6

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Caitlin M, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Happy Sunday all! So...I just did a +5 and it was 42. Did a second and it was 48, so I put 45 into the SS. The thing is, he hasn't had any insulin since Tuesday! How did his number go so low and is he still technically in a scary hypo number? What the what?!!

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Some kitties naturally can run lower :)

Djamila likes this.
  3. Caitlin M

Lol I was shocked! And the crazy thing is, I debated giving him .1 this am :nailbiting: gosh, that would have been bad!! Thanks Yong! I gave him his treats and he's acting fine, so I didn't think they could go hypo without it. Phew :facepalm::rolleyes:

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  4. Wesley and Spicoli

Wesley and Spicoli Member

If it makes you feel better, we hit a hypo number once after no insulin had been given for a 24-36hrs...

Caitlin M likes this.
  5. Caitlin M

It does! Thank you.

6. Caitlin M

It's like, those numbers are engrained in us to be careful! Which is a very good thing. Except when this happens :bookworm::cool:

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wooo Pita! Numbers going down without an insulin is a sign of Mr.P! A lot of times we can tell Mr. P is visiting by seeing them go down after eating...so this is a good sign!

2 things to make you feel better. Yesterday at the same time, he as at 59...and that 45 is within the 20% variance I'd say, so it's basically the same number. Also, as far as I know, you can't go hypo on no insulin. :) So YAY!

Yong & Maury GA and Caitlin M like this.
  8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

No insulin = no hypo unless you're using a depot insulin at a high dose so the depot is large.

Yong & Maury GA, Rachel and Caitlin M like this.
  9. Caitlin M

142 AMPS. I'm just not comfortable shooting this number for today, since I won't be able to test again before work. Maybe he'll have a higher PMPS and then I'll shoot/test. Happy Monday!

10. Caitlin M

100 PMPS. Definitely not shooting on that! I don't really...but I almost wish they were switched because I could have shot tonight and tested. Oh well! Crazy kitty.

11. Caitlin M

Had a 141 AMPS. I really struggled with shooting but gave .1u anyway. Almost gave .2 but it made me too nervous. I'm glad I did .1 though because PMPS was 75/NS. I'm a bit bummed because it was the longest without insulin. Maybe third time will be a charm?!

Yong & Maury GA and Rachel like this.
  12. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Time for patience pants!!! No seriously, it sucks when you have to give a shot during this period, but I like to think that it's a good thing in a way...it's like instead of suddenly and for no apparent reason going OTJ, they do it the same way they've been doing it all along...going down and then having the occasional high number...and getting just a bit of support. I think of it like the pancreas waking up but doing it slowly and carefully. I think you'll get there!

Kris & Teasel and Caitlin M like this.
  13. Caitlin M

Hello all! Hope everyone had a good weekend- just wanted to check in before bed. Pita is doing very well and I'm happy with the few tests I've also been getting during the days when possible. That's really it! :cat:

Yong & Maury GA, Rachel and Djamila like this.
  14. Caitlin M

Hey guys, how often do you change the battery in your meter? Mine has been working fine and hasn't made any indication of needing a new one, but I figured I'd ask. I'm being a bit superstitious of his numbers I think and want to make sure it's not a fluke. o_O thanks in advance!

15. Kris & Teasel

Mine's over a year old and it has the same battery in it. No evidence of any malfunction so far but I do have spares at home.

Caitlin M likes this.
  16. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

You SHOULD be fine...the battery lasts a pretty long time. However, if you need to change it and don't have the manual handy, you can get it online here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1035946/Relion-Confirm.html?page=10.

Again, you're probably fine and don't NEED to change it yet!

Glad Pita is doing well and hope it continues! Keep us updated when you can!

17. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

18. Yong & Maury GA

I've not changed either of mine yet :)

19. Caitlin M

Thanks for the battery feedback everyone! So, I realize this may not actually be considered remission because of the two (AM only) times I gave .1 units, BUT today is the last day of the two week NS. If I need to wait until next Wednesday to actually count it [celebrate], I will. I know very well that things can change in a heartbeat, but I just wanted to post how proud I am of Pita, regardless!

20. Djamila

Caitlin! That's so exciting! You can at least call it a honeymoon, I'd think. Those numbers are (antijinx) so beautiful. Of course keep monitoring at least once/day for a bit longer, but I'm so excited for you and Pita!!!

And speaking of exciting things....your move is coming up soon, isn't it?

21. Caitlin M

Thank you so so so much Djamila! Yes, I've already decided no matter what happens, I'll always test at least once if not twice a day (in the future-antijinx). Yes the move! We had to push it back one week due to a work change, but it's now September 13! So who knows what will come from that if this streak does continue. But so exciting either way!!

22. Yong & Maury GA

Enjoy your honeymoon, Pita! You and your Mum did so great! :cat::bighug:

Caitlin M and Rachel like this.
  23. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

YAYYY!!!!!! Oh my gosh Caitlin! After all you and Pita have been through I'm so excited to hear this! CONGRATS! Please keep popping by here when you can and keep us updated!

Caitlin M likes this.
  24. Caitlin M

I was just telling someone yesterday that while I was happy, things can always change the next day. I had to throw Pita and his brother out of the room this morning half an hour before my alarm because they were play fighting. AMPS was 134! Lol, I still NS and his feeding behavior was normal, so I'm hoping it was just the ridiculous morning spaz out. We shall see!

25. Djamila

All kinds of momentary stresses can raise it temporarily. Even just being overdue for a poop. I wouldn't worry about it unless you start to see them more often.

Caitlin M likes this.
  26. Caitlin M

94 PMPS, so hopefully we're good :facepalm:

27. Djamila

Pita sure likes to run low during his mid-cycle, doesn't he?

28. Kris & Teasel

It's weird seeing a lime green and not having to drag out hypo supplies because there's no insulin on board. He's doing great! :smuggrin:

29. Caitlin M

It's very strange! But yes, he's been doing very well! Hopefully I didn't mess him up this morning. I wasn't able to be home in time for his usual am feeding, so AMPS was higher. Hoping it'll go back down for tonight. Totally my fault. Fingers crossed :confused:

30. Djamila

I was just reading on another thread where they were talking about the "dawn effect" and how that first number of the day is usually the highest because of a surge of pre-breakfast hormones. I had something similar with Sam this morning - I was late to give him breakfast because I'm trying to move his shot time out a little, and he gave me a higher-than-normal number. His nadir ended up fine though.

31. Caitlin M

I don't know whether to whisper or yell BUT- we have officially made the two (+) week mark of NO SHOTS!! Yayyyy :woot::) I should post in remission thread right? And now we also see what happens when we move in 27 days :p

32. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

WHAT???? YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! This is JUST the good news we needed Caitlin! YES it is your turn to post in the remission thread!!!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caitlin M and Djamila like this.
  33. Caitlin M

Thanks you SO much!!

34. Djamila

HOORAY!!!!!!!! Oh wow, did I need some good FD news today! I'm so glad today is Pita's official day! (although I thought the unofficial day was pretty exciting too!) Caitlin, you did such a great job of balancing work with caring for Pita and getting him little by little, with all his ups and downs, to this point. Well done, congratulations, and I am so happy for you both!

Yes, definitely post in the remission thread! Also, pretty please keep your spreadsheet shared forever and ever. I spend a lot of time going back and studying spreadsheets and it's really frustrating when people un-share their spreadsheets. They form an important historical record of what we know about FD. And also, make sure you pop back in and give updates from time to time - and even better, share the wisdom that you've learned with new folks as they join! You have a wealth of wisdom to share from going through this process.

And give Pita some love and low-carb treats from all of us! I'm actually a little teary with how good it is to see him reach this milestone! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

35. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

I was just reading the thread and peeked at Pits'a SS and thought..I count 14 days, why isn't there a PARTY?!?!?!

Congrats!!! Awesome news!

cat partying.jpg

Caitlin M likes this.
  36. Kris & Teasel

This is absolutely fantastic news!!! :):):):D:D:D:joyful::joyful::joyful::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::woot::woot::woot:!!!!

37. Caitlin M

Thank you so incredibly much Djamila! I can't believe it's been six months, and goodness all the ups and downs! I will absolutely keep my SS shared! I can't even count the number of times I checked other people's for help! Trust me, I am not gone- I'll be making a new thread very soon regarding moving as well! It's funny to 'share the wisdom' because I still feel like such a newbie! But I will always chime in when I feel confident in an answer, definitely. I will share the treats with him and Brat! Aww, THANK YOU SO MUCH! :bighug:

38. Caitlin M

THANK YOU!!!!

39. Caitlin M

From the bottom of my heart Kris, thank you for all that you have done for me and I'm sure will continue to do for others!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  40. Caitlin M

Now- what do I do from here?!! Lol how often should I be testing? We're in a great place and habit of twice a day that I think I may stick with it?! And lord, the questions I have when I make a moving thread :smuggrin:. Keep an eye out guys! I APPRECIATE AND LOVE YOU ALL IMMENSELY! I could NEVER have done it on my own.

41. Caitlin M

IMG_20170816_204708.jpg And this is Pita celebrating

42. Yong & Maury GA

[​IMG]
    Pita and Caitlin! :cat::D:D:D:otj::otj::otj:

43. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hahaha! That's how I'd celebrate too, Pita!

Testing after OTJ is still something we don't have a lot of info on. I think Yong wrote something up that I'll try to find. But I'd say for now, test once a day or so if you can? And you can back off as you feel more comfortable...and just test when you feel something might be up.

Please do stick around! We'll be looking for the moving thread and we'll LOVE having you to just offer encouragement if you can or more if you feel up to it! :)

44. Djamila

When Sam went OTJ the first time, I was told to tests once/day for a month (at random times), once/week for three months, and then once every two weeks to once/month for life.

If he ever goes OTJ again, I would test once/week for life. Once every two weeks left him in high numbers a little too long before I noticed he had fallen out of remission. Plus, it got him out of the habit, so every time I tested it was an ordeal. I think once/week would keep it more like a normal part of his life.

Caitlin M likes this.
  45. Caitlin M

My thinking is to keep it at two times for now and slowly work down to once a week. I think if I only did once a week it would become hard again and that's what I want to avoid.

Djamila likes this.
  46. Yong & Maury GA

It's nothing official but here it is :):
    From other trials I've read about (other kitties), 14 days you still do AMPS and PMPS, maybe 1 mid cycle (one day take a day reading, another day take an evening mid, etc)

Week 3 - 4: Test a couple days out of the week.

Month 2: Test once every couple weeks.

Month 3: Test once a month

Month 6+: Some will only test once a month every couple months

Personally, I'd probably stay at Month 2 ;)

Rachel and Caitlin M like this.
  47. Caitlin M

I would love to know what the boys were doing to give a 165 AMPS! :bookworm:

48. Djamila

Is he in need of pooping? I've had a couple of numbers in the 140's recently, and they were both when he was overdue for a poop. :rolleyes:o_O

49. Caitlin M

That's a great question! And I'm not sure :rolleyes: lol I'll try to keep an eye out for that today. +2.5 was just 78 though, so hopefully he's good!

Djamila likes this.
  50. Caitlin M

I feel like since it's been 'official', numbers haven't been as good! But I know I may also be a bit paranoid :(

51. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Remember most of those blues are within the meter variance, meaning they're really like greens. AND he comes down on his own throughout the cycle...a sign that the pancreas is working. :)

52. Caitlin M

::Deep breath:: you're right, I know! Thank you.

53. Caitlin M

I'm embarrassed to say that I almost didn't put any of his numbers in today cuz I felt defeated. AMPS was 137, 1.25 hrs away from PMPS was 159- NS both times. I'm going to make the eclipse my scapegoat for now since animals are much more sensitive to natural happenings. However, I'm wondering how many days of higher numbers I should give until I dose again? Thanks guys!

54. Djamila

There isn't a for sure right answer on this, so here are my thoughts on it:

First of all, I agree with you about the eclipse. My kitties were more than a little skittish when the temperature started dropping.

Second, Pita has had a bit of a history of going down, and then up, and then down again. And his mid-cycles have typically been quite a bit lower all on his own. If he was mine, I'd keep an eye on his eating, drinking, peeing, and playing, and then hold off on insulin unless he starts running solidly over 120 for a few days. (not just at meal times). His meal time BG doesn't seem as reliable an indicator. You wouldn't want to give him a shot on a 159, if his natural mid-cycle is taking him down to those 50-80's that he's typically been getting.

If you start to see secondary symptoms though (excessive drinking, peeing, etc.), then we might need to reconsider that. Or if his pre-shots start to solidly hang out too high. But right now you are pretty evenly split with a few hovering around 100 and few that are too high.

Curious what everyone else will think about what you should do....?

Caitlin M likes this.
  55. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yeah, I do think the eclipse might be part of it. I'm with Djamila...cats normal BG can vary. Just keep an eye on symptoms and if you see some recurrence of older symptoms, look into what we need to do. Don't let one cycle get you down too much, Caitlin. I know it's tough, but Pita is a tough cookie and for all we know the eclipse or a hairball or "Oh look a squirrel!" syndrome made him run a bit higher today.

56. Caitlin M

+2 was 67. So far, no negative symptoms. He's playing more, waiting for Brat to eat first and not excessively drinking or urinating. So keep your fingers and paws crossed! I'm not sure what will happen from the move, but I'd love to stay in this happy place at least until then :) thank you both!

Rachel and Djamila like this.
  57. Yong & Maury GA

I'm doing the same for the pink I got tonight for PMPS! :p. I retested, hoping for a 299 instead but actually got a red :blackeye: so said ok, out of those two, Pink it is! lol

Caitlin M likes this.
  58. Caitlin M

175 AMPS. What I would give to be home and test today! I'll keep an eye on symptoms the rest of the week but my plan is to do a curve on Saturday and dose on Sunday depending on the numbers.

Rachel likes this.
  59. Djamila

Ugh. Come on, Pita! You can do better than that! Just keep telling him that he's back on insulin if he doesn't get his act together. Maybe the threat will be enough to turn him around again. ;)

60. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wave the insulin in front of him...I've heard that can work!

61. Caitlin M

Thank you for that- it made me laugh and I'm not feeling great right now (personally/mentally). I got home and just fed them because I was so nervous and just didn't want to know :confused:. I'll test before bed.

Rachel likes this.
  62. Yong & Maury GA

Oh I know how that is, Caitlin :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

63. Caitlin M

+5.5 was just at 62.

Beenie (GA) and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  64. Yong & Maury GA

65. Caitlin M

I'm saying this verryyy quietly and with no expectations....{{{{77 AMPS}}}}

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  66. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

(Whispering) yayyyyyy!!!!!

67. Kris & Teasel

:):):):):) (very quietly ... )

68. Caitlin M

123 PMPS, 58 @ +2.

69. Djamila

Pita is a unique little soul, isn't he? He just doesn't want to be like all the other kitties. He wants to march to the beat of his own little drummer. :joyful:

Caitlin M likes this.
  70. Caitlin M

It's like when kids go against the grain of fashion and whatnot to be different and feel unique. Pita's got that covered!

113 AMPS

71. Kris & Teasel

Still looks good! He's doing this his own way, just like my guy. ;)

Caitlin M likes this.
  72. Caitlin M

I've never looked forward to doing a curve as much as I am for tomorrow. :bookworm:

73. Caitlin M

I think I should dose in the am as well as do a curve. His numbers have been very high today and I just don't want to keep hoping/waiting. Originally I was going to do a curve tomorrow and do Sunday as needed, but I think if I dose and curve, it might be better...?

74. Yong & Maury GA

Hard to say, Pita's going to do what Pita wants to do :p

75. Caitlin M

I was going to see what he did on his own today, but with a 223 AMPS and serious begging for food, I won't be stubborn. Gave .1 units and will do the curve today as well!

76. Djamila

Oh Pita! FWIW, I think that was the right decision. It would have been hard to ignore a 223. Hopefully he'll just need a couple of days and get back on track. :bighug:

Caitlin M likes this.
  77. Caitlin M

184 @+2
    78 @ +4
    :confused: tad bit nervous now!

Djamila likes this.
  78. Caitlin M

79. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I would have done the same as you! That preshot was just too high to ignore. With luck this is just a little blip and he just needed a bit of a nudge!

80. Yong & Maury GA

Oh Pita! :p

81. Caitlin M

82. Caitlin M

99 @ +10.25
    And at PMPS....78! So NS for pm. Dear god Pita, tell me what's happening?!!!

Djamila likes this.
  83. Kris & Teasel

:eek::confused:!!!

Caitlin M likes this.
  84. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

PITA! What the what???

Caitlin M likes this.
  85. Caitlin M

130 AMPS, normal behavior. UGH! Now I am so confused. I'm not sure if I should just dose, cross my fingers he doesn't go too low and test all day OR just NS and test all day. On one hand, I'm home/can be available to help if I do shoot. On the other, he dropped to 55 with .1 units starting 100 points higher. :mad::nailbiting:o_O I feel like I'm gonna have to flip a coin.

86. Caitlin M

On 8/2 I gave .1 on a 131 AMPS. I'm hoping it goes as well for today and he doesn't drop too far, too quickly.

87. Kris & Teasel

Maybe make a "rule" for yourself: if he's over x BG, give 0.1 u to help out his pancreas a bit? x = 200?

88. Caitlin M

127 @+2.75

I think 200 is good. For today I'm okay since I can test, but with work again tomorrow it'll freak me out. I'll stick to 200+ give .1

89. Djamila

Are you still giving the +9 snacks? If not, I wonder if that would help keep those PS numbers a little lower?

90. Caitlin M

Every day!

Djamila likes this.
  91. Caitlin M

139 AMPS. NS if under 150 while I'm working/can't test. Happy Monday all!

92. Caitlin M

180 PMPS, giving .1 units. Do I need to edit/take down my remission thread?

93. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Nope! You DID achieve remission...he went 2 weeks without a shot. With luck, this is just a blip, but I think you can still say you achieved remission (14 days is a LONG time).

Caitlin M likes this.
  94. Caitlin M

Thanks Rachel! I'm looking at it as, he probably knows a change is about to happen ( I have a feliway plug in, but still). So hopefully once he's settled into his new home we can get these numbers back down :)

95. Kris & Teasel

He's proven to you that it's possible! :)

Caitlin M likes this.
  96. Caitlin M

200 PMPS. Gave .2 units

97. Djamila

I agree with Rachel and Kris - Pita earned his OTJ status. Now he'll just get to have two of them! And you're probably right about Pita knowing there is something up with the move drawing closer. A little time in that lovely California sunshine and he should be just fine! :cool::smuggrin:

Rachel, Kris & Teasel and Caitlin M like this.
  98. Caitlin M

126 AMPS, gave .1 units, 117@+5

99. Yong & Maury GA

Jeez, Pita, so much excitement while I haven't been able to peek in much :eek:

Caitlin M likes this.
  100. Caitlin M

Ugh, I can't tell if .1 is too little even with a mid 100 PS! Can't wait to have Friday off to get more midday tests. :oops::cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.