? Planning Ahead And Looking For Advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AshleyDiamond, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AshleyDiamond

AshleyDiamond Member

[​IMG]
    First I'd like to mention I am apart of a couple different feline diabetes support groups and also ask for advice through them. Also since he is on Prozinc if his dosage is a single number like 1 or 2 units we use the U40 syringes (they don't have the half markings) and if our dosage needs middle numbers we are using the conversion chart for U40 to U100, which is why our doses are 2.2 or 2.4, etc.

Okay I just want to try to set up some sort of plan for my dosage with Tootsie. If you look at my chart he started out at 2units of Prozinc and we kept him there while we transitioned his food to all low carb wet. We held everything for a few days and did a curve. I then went to the group and asked for advice and we decided to move him up to 2.4units. We got into our first blue numbers with this dose during mid cycle of the second night. Then on 7/2 his AMPS was in the 300s and he went up at +4 and +5 so we thought we maybe got a fur shot that morning. So I came for advice and we decided maybe the 2.4units was a little high and we would drop him down to 2.2units for a few cycles. But then we did his PMPS and he was in the blue numbers (first time for this before a shot and especially since he was in the 300s during the day) So then I thought maybe he was doing a bounce? Don't really know because I'm still so new to this. Again asked for advice and was suggested to give just 1unit instead of skipping all together because he was seeing good numbers, so I did. Then this morning his AMPS was in the 400s again so I did 2.2units and he was 177 at +5. Now depending on what happens tonight at his PMPS what do you think we should do? If he's higher stick to the 2.2units or if he is lower again reduce the dose? His numbers are just really confusing me.

On a side note he is doing really well. He hasn't ever acted sick since being diagnosed. Just did lots of drinking and peeing. The drinking has slowed down dramatically and his urine output has gotten better. He is getting all his water from adding it to his wet food. And he doesn't act as hungry anymore either like he was in the beginning. Still bathes himself, cuddles, purrs, pooping and acting normal.

2. AshleyDiamond

AshleyDiamond Member

3. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

The 2.4u looks good I think. The highs yesterday might be a bounce from that 102 on 7/1. Bounces can sometimes last a few cycles. It might not be a bad idea to stick with 2.2u for a few days and let his numbers calm down before making the move up to 2.4u again. The 177 today is not bad either!

AshleyDiamond likes this.
  4. AshleyDiamond

AshleyDiamond Member

Would you still give 2.2 even if he tests in the 100s for his preshots?

5. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Sometimes it depends on how much time you can devote to watching him. If he’s in the 100s he’ll probably be safe with 1.2u (1u gave you some higher numbers with the low PS yesterday so you can probably give him a little more and still be ok), but if you are able to monitor him and steer him up if need be, you may go for 1.4u.
    For Spot, some days I feel like I just can’t handle anymore drama, so I’m a little more conservative, and other days I know I’ll be able to watch him like a hawk, so I push him a little (within reason!) to try to capture some better numbers. If in doubt better to err on the side of not enough than too much insulin. 1u yesterday didn’t do any harm at all so if that’s where you feel comfortable... you don’t always have to try for perfect :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.