Please be careful of enemas for your cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AzChic70, Jul 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AzChic70

AzChic70 New Member

My 17 year old Blackie was diagnosed with diabetes in April. Within 2 weeks of taking insulin, he started to retain fluid in his abdomen. His blood work just showed a mild infection. Other than that, he did very well for his old age.

The week before last, I noticed he was a little lethargic and a little bit unsteady on his back legs.
    I also noticed he was constipated. He was currently on a diuretic pill a few days prior for the water retention.

I took him to the vet last Monday because I knew the constipation was getting worse.
    I left him for 2 hours for the enema. I paid, they brought him to me in his carrier, and when I got him home, he could not stand at all.

The vet was closed by then so I had to stay by his side all night until I could get him to the vet the next morning. They took him in right away and had him there for about 4 hours. They gave him another blood test that showed nothing. The vet said it was more likely a combo of being really old and diabetes.
    They told me to take him home and make him comfortable.

On the way home, I could tell something was wrong. I knew it was the end for my amazing Blackie.
    I turned the car around and took him back to the vet where we said our goodbyes.

I can't figure out how he was walking around in the car on the way to the vet and then a few hours later, he couldn't stand.
    I have read numerous posts by others who have had concern about their cats after receiving enemas.
    One person even wrote their 14 yr old cat couldn't stand after an enema but never responded if the cat got better or not.

So if you have an older cat especially, be careful.

Attached Files:

HereKittyKittyKitty likes this.
  2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Enemas are rough on a cat and should only be a last ditch effort. I'm sorry it was Blackie's time to cross. If they did bloodwork after and it was all balanced and good, I think there was something else happening that the vet missed.

Soar high on your new wings Blackie....land softly back in your family's broken heart...

HUGS and hugs...

3. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss. He looks so cute in his bandana.

4. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I am so sorry.... I am speechless as I have never heard of anything like this happening. I have given Dre a few enemas but the liquid not the little bullet thing- I am so sad for you having to go thru this in this way.
    Sending special prayers for you....:bighug::rb_icon::bighug:

5. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. JeanW

JeanW Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Hugs and prayers to you. :bighug::bighug:
    Thanks for warning others.

7. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I am very sorry to read this and for your loss. Peace and comfort to you. Thank you for your kindness in thinking of others in your grief, and warning the rest of us. :bighug::bighug:cat_wings>o

8. AzChic70

AzChic70 New Member

Thank you for all your comments. We picked up Blackie's cremains today. So he is home again.

9. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug: So very sorry for your loss :bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

Hugs and prayers :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.