Please help- Dennis seems very sick.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MClarke087, Sep 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Dennis just got very sick. I've never seen anything like it and I'm very worried.

Here's the whole story: he was acting abnormal today. He was lounging around, sleeping a lot, not walking around the house like usual. At dinner he acted as if he had been starved for weeks- he QUICKLY ate his meal, but still seemed extreemly hungry so I put more food down for him. He probably ate about a 1 and a quarter cans (large).

I noticed after he ate that his belly looked VERY bloated (imagine standing above him and looking down at him; it was like his sides were bulging). He wanted to be left alone and when I tried to touch him he go upset. Especially when I felt his belly- he got angry and growled and scratched me (that's not how he usually behaves).

We are now at +4.5 hours and his stomach was gurgling so badly that it actually scared me. He suddenly projectile vomited a lot of partially digested food- it went everywhere. Please understand- there was more vomit than a human could have produced, and it came out of him with extreme force. SECONDS after this, I noticed that his belly had gone back to normal.

Looking back, over the past few days I thought he looked a *little* bloated but I thought that was due to the increased amount of food that I've been giving him to stop him from losing weight.

He's been pooping a lot (it's been very soft and sometimes partially diarrhea), which I attribute to the relatively new food that he's on. He looks better now- he just jumped up into the window and seems more alert. He's even begging for food and drinking a lot of water.

My questions:

1) What now? The insulin has only been in his system for +4.5 and he just vomited everything he ate for dinner.

2) What could this projectile vomiting mean?? Should I be scared??

3) Should I switch him *BACK* to his old food tomorrow morning?? I know switching food too abruptly is bad for them too.

I am completely out of money and still owe the vet over $500 so taking him to the vet is near impossible.....especially the ER. That's literally impossible...... I'm glad that he looks good right now but I know if I throw up I always feel better right after, and then I go back to feeling sick......So I don't want to read too much into how 'good' he looks right now....

I don't mean to sound dramatic, but this roller coaster is getting to me......I feel this giant weight on my chest all day, every day....It's like this dark cloud is following me. My career is suffering as well as my grades in school......I'm always thinking and worrying about him. I'm getting bad anxiety. I feel like I can't get ahead of this diabetes (and the pee all over my basement, and the loose poop on my floor, and the change in diet/dose/insulin, and the cost of his food and supplies....the list goes on). Does anyone else ever feel overcome with stress and anxiety? How far do we go? How much is too much? :( :( :(

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  2. Daphne

Daphne Member

I have a few questions for you that I will post now and I will follow up shortly with some replies to your original post.

1. When did you change his diet and what process did you follow for the adjustment?

2. How long has this partial diarrhea been going on? Did the poop contain any mucus or blood? Blood in the feces can appear red or tarry and black.

3. In relation to his insulin injection time, when did he eat this big meal?

3. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Thank you so much for responding... I'm so worried.

1. I changed it a few weeks ago to 50% boiled chicken breast and 50% natures balance venison, although about 3 days ago I began to leave out the chicken in hopes that the 100% canned food would help him gain weight. I noticed some bloating a few days ago but I thought he was just gaining weight. Looking back, his belly has been "gurgley" lately.

2. He began to have loose stools right when he went on the new canned food. I've been giving him anti-dihareal med, and it's helped a little. The poop looks verrrrry dark- almost black but it seems to be the exact same dark brown color as the food. Maybe a little darker, but not by much. When I wipe it off the floor I check the paper towels for any signs of blood, but I don't see anything red or odd.

3He ate 4.5 hours before he vomited. That's when he got his insulin dose too. He ate his first bowl, got his injection, then ate another bowl. If he just threw up in a "normal way" I'd think he just ate too much....but to see the amount and the intensity of it, and how his belly deflated right away, I feel like something is very wrong.

4. Daphne

Daphne Member

Answers to your questions:

1. I am not familiar with Vetsulin so I'm not the best resource on this. The fact the food stayed in him for so long probably means it brought his blood glucose up already; what is his current blood glucose value?

2. I think projectile vomiting tends to happen when either the throat or the stomach is intensely irritated, but of course there could be other reasons. Based on your posts, it sounds to me that this new diet doesn't sit well with him and a huge meal of it just bothered his stomach--then up it came.

Caution is warranted here. Your first concern is going to be dehydration. How is his skin turgor?

3. Yes, switching diet abruptly can be bad for their tummies and bowels, but he's already having bowel/stomach issues. It sounds to me that the current diet is bothering him; if it were me, I would switch back to the old diet immediately.

---------

Some medicines, especially anti-diarrheal medicines, can make the feces turn black. That may be why it's so dark.

The fact the food stayed in his stomach for 4.5 hours sounds very odd to me. I think it should have moved out of his stomach by that point. It sounds like his body was really rejecting the food. I wouldn't feed his current food again.

If it's been 30-60 minutes since the projectile vomiting, I would go ahead and offer him a small amount (1oz) of his old food now.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

He went from 420 before insulin to 347 1 hour before vomiting, and now (1 hour after vomiting) he's at 242. These numbers, although high, are normal for him. We are trying hard to get him regulated. His ketostix have not detected any traces of ketones.

His skin turgor- I'm not sure what that means. He drinks non stop and has been drinking a lot since vomiting, which makes me happy....but between the vomit (which was watery), and the loose stool, I'm sure he's not as hydrated as he should be. He always drinks a lot because he's so unregulated.

Is there a chance he has a blockage of some kind? I mean he's pooping so I would think that's a sign that there isn't a blockage.....but like you said, the food was still in his stomach and that's very weird.

6. Daphne

Daphne Member

I don't think your cat sounds like he needs to go to the ER right now or even that he necessarily needs to see a vet soon.

As intense as this vomiting sounds like, if it's just one-off, it's not cause for too much alarm. It would become a problem if he wasn't able to keep food down at all, but we're not at that point yet.

The ongoing diarrhea is more concerning to me than this one-off vomiting incident.

I can't know for certain, but I very strongly think it's the food. The problems seemed to all coincide with the diet change.

At this point, I do not suspect a blockage. I really do think it's the food. Approximately when was the last time he pooped?

7. Daphne

Daphne Member

The skin turgor test is when you gently pinch and lift the skin at the back of a cat's neck and then see how long it takes to return to its normal, unpinched position.

In a well-hydrated cat, it returns almost instantly. In a somewhat dehydrated cat, it'll return in 2-3 seconds. In a dangerously dehydrated cat, it'll return to normal much more slowly or just stick up.

Here's a video of a healthy turgor test.

8. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

I tend to agree with you. He was on D/M but I attributed the food to his BG being over 600 every day. Once I switched to 100% boiled chicken breast, his BG began to drop and I slowly introduced the Nature's Balance Venison. That's when I noticed the poop became dark, so I think you're right.
    He pooped twice today although I don't know when but he has not pooped since he was fed dinner.

9. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Thank you! I watched the video. It seems that he's pretty hydrated. It might take 1 second for the skin to settle after I pull it, but it certainly doesn't take 2-3 seconds.

10. Daphne

Daphne Member

Have you fed him anything since he vomited?

I wouldn't want to be feeding the D/M either. You're right, the D/M probably does raise his BG. It's great that his BG began to drop eating boiled chicken. You don't want to feed only boiled chicken consistently because it lacks some nutrients they need, especially taurine. How long was he eating only boiled chicken?

My cat Link vomits wildly if he eats any beef at all. Your cat may not be able to cope with venison, or perhaps not red meat in general. I try to stick to chicken and turkey.

Tuxedo Mom and Critter Mom like this.
  11. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

I agree- that's exactly why I didn't feed him just chicken for very long (he was on 100% chicken for about 1.5 weeks). I wanted to keep him on chicken and just add supplements but I couldn't afford it. I'm wondering if I made the wrong decision in putting him on the venison but he's been eating the venison (mixed with chicken) for weeks and weeks now....The only difference was that he has been solely on the venison for a few days, and that he ate a lot tonight.
    I just gave him a large spoonful of the D/M because it's all I have on hand (it's almost midnight here and I live in the middle of nowhere).

I'm nervous switching him back to the D/M, or any new food, so quickly is going to give him another issue. And I'm worried it's going to "build up" in his belly and make him bloated again, and then vomit. I'm also worried that I'm worrying too much!! lol

Hmmm.....I wonder if I should put him back on the chicken for a day or two because I know he can tolerate it, and then introduce a new food slowly.

12. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi, Sending prayers and healing thoughts for Dennis and some very heartfelt :bighug::bighug::bighug: for you.

I'm sorry I can't write more right now but I'm glad to see other members already here giving you good suggestions and advice. My own little one has chronic pancreatitis so I know only too well the worry over dietary upsets in diabetics. I really feel for how worried you are.

Sending prayers and healing thoughts for Dennis and some very heartfelt :bighug::bighug::bighug: for you.

Mogs

13. Daphne

Daphne Member

The best food to feed your cat is the one he eats willingly and doesn't make him sick.

I think feeding only chicken for a day or two sounds fine.

You might consider feeding chicken for two days and slowly introducing the D/M. While we know his BG is high on the D/M, we also know he doesn't vomit and have diarrhea with it. We don't know how he responds to any other food. Transitioning to the D/M for a little while before trying another food may give his gastro-intestinal system a much-needed break.

I would avoid venison as a rule from this point forward. As long as it's not anything with venison, it's probably going to be a positive change.

It was a good decision to try the venison for the lower carbs. Now that you see he doesn't tolerate it well, it's a good decision to try something else. You're paying attention to him and taking very good care of him.

Is he still sensitive about his stomach being touched?

14. Critter Mom

This. A thousand times this.

Mogs

Squalliesmom likes this.
  15. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Thank you, that really means a lot. I'm sorry that you know the stress of situations like this.

16. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

That sounds like a good plan to me. Thank you for helping so much, it really makes me feel better. He seems annoyed and slightly irritated when I try to touch his belly but he isn't freaking out like he was right before he threw up. He has never tolerated having his belly touched though- so it's hard to say if that's all it is at this point.

I'm assuming I should contact his vet if he gets bloated again or throws up?

17. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

On second thought, he keeps jumping up into his favorite chairs but he won't lay down. He goes from one favorite spot to the next without ever laying down. That's unusual so I think he's uncomfortable.

18. Critter Mom

I'd recommend getting your vet to check Dennis over as soon as possible, especially as his abdomen is sore. If there's any way you can find to get a pancreatitis test done it would be a good thing to do. If positive and treated quickly with the right supportive meds it resolves much quicker (and with much less worry and stress for you both). We can help point you to appropriate treatments should you need help in that direction.

Likewise, I am very sorry that you are familiar with stuff like this; one wouldn't wish it on any living being - neither patient nor caregiver.

:bighug:

Mogs

19. Critter Mom

Watch to see whether he seeks out a cool floor to sit on (e.g. stone floor) and also whether he crouches in a 'tense meatloaf' position.

Mogs

20. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Thank you. I hope it's not that......but I keep hearing that pancreatic issues are associated with diabetes..... :( This group is amazing though- everyone here is so helpful and supportive.

21. Daphne

Daphne Member

If the food is the problem, I'd expect him to have discomfort that will dissipate over the next 5 hours. If you had an upset stomach or diarrhea, it takes a little while for the symptoms to disappear. It's an unpleasant experience. He might be about to have a bad poop, and those do hurt. If his discomfort resolves (without worsening) in 5-12 hours, I would assume it's just the food and not worry about it.

If his discomfort seems to turn into pain or his symptoms overall worsen, he probably needs to go to the vet.

I am not a vet, and I haven't even seen your cat personally. Absolutely you should do what you think is best.

As Mogs said, the vomiting, diarrhea, and discomfort all together suggest pancreatitis. Something working in your favor is that he wants to eat, and often cats with pancreatitis don't want to eat.

MClarke087 and Critter Mom like this.
  22. Daphne

Daphne Member

I'm going to sleep soon. In the morning, will you let us know how he's doing?

23. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Do you have cerenia and/or ondanetron? Can you get some if possible?
    The cerenia works fast and often just stopping the vomit will settle things down..... ondansetron will help with nausea and is also very effective.
    You can get a script from your vet and get it online cheaper -

The 8mg ondansetron is cheapest but you have to cut it into appropriate doses-most cats get 1-2 mg 2x a day
    my 1 cat is 20 pounds and gets 4 mg-when needed-
    my other cat is 13 pounds and get 1-2 mg 2x a day every day.

I only use cerenia if there is vomit as well-
    A good probiotic can help the diarrhea but the diet change may fix that ...
    :bighug::bighug:

24. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

also if you do go to your vet with the vomit and diarrhea some SQ fluids may be of value and at the least make him feel better as long as no heart issues....
    hydration can make them feel pretty lethargic...

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I tried two different brands of venison, and venison mixed with other red meats, for my cats and it gave all four of them very dark, almost black stools, it caused vomiting in at least one of them (with four it is sometimes hard to tell who did what, unless you catch them in the act), and general tummy upset and gurgling/gas in all four.I'm not saying that's necessarily all of Dennis' problem right now but I certainly think it could be a contributing factor. Also, cats that are constipated frequently have diarrhea that "leaks" past the area of constipation, and I think it could cause vomiting, as well. But if he's going pretty regularly and having some formed stools as well, that is probably not an issue.

Hope you get it sorted out and he feels better soon! :bighug:

26. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hope Dennis is feeling better this AM. You may want to try a limited ingredient diet (LID) at least for awhile. I use Merrick LID Chicken available at Petco, and is reasonably priced. I'm sure there are other brands as well.

Critter Mom likes this.
  27. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Thank you. Here's the situation as of this morning:
    He just ate some canned D/M. I fed it to him slowly and only gave him about a quarter of a can in total. Right away he became bloated again. His tummy is gurgling again, and he's roaming around the house in an odd way. I'm almost certain he's going to throw it all up. He's walking normally so I don't think he's in pain, but I think he's uncomfortable. I have no veterinary experience but the only thing I can think of right now that makes any sense is a massive obstruction (but I can't understand how that could have happened).

Any thoughts from those reading this would be appreciated:

- If Dennis throws up in the next couple of hours how does that affect the 6u I gave him?

- It's a Sunday and my vet isn't open. The ER is NOT an option. His regular vet *might* allow me to pay later if I bring him in tomorrow but that's a big "might"...... Can he wait until tomorrow??

- If I bring him to the vet tomorrow and there's a big issue and he needs costly treatment what do I do? I've spent 100% of my savings on him. I owe a family member $800 from his ER visit, and I owe the vet over $600 in follow up appointments. I truly cannot afford anything (not even the $60 just to be seen). Do people in this situation just stop trying to save their little ones?

28. Sharon14

Has Dennis had a bowel movement recently? Bloating isn't always caused from a blockage, but if you think that's what it is, maybe some coconut oil would help. Are you giving a probiotic? Slippery Elm Bark is also good to try, can't remember the dosage on that @Bobbie And Bubba ?

29. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I have had good luck with slippery elm bark. I buy the capsules from my local health food store with no added ingredients and give as needed.

"
    Slippery Elm Bark Dosage

The usual dosage is:

• 1/8 to 1/4 (0.125 - 0.25) of a teaspoon of the organic or wild-crafted slippery elm bark powder once or twice a day; or

• one 350-400mg capsule a day. You can give these whole or open them and sprinkle on the cat's food once or twice a day.
    Some cats do not need it every day, so experiment and see what works best for your cat.

I open the capsules and sprinkle the slippery elm bark into my cat's food and mix it up, but slippery elm bark has a bittersweet flavour which some cats do not like. In that case, try giving it in a capsule, either the one it came in (though these may well be too big for the average cat) or, if you are using loose slippery elm bark, purchasegelcaps separately for this purpose.

Some people have found their cat will eat slippery elm bark if it is mixed in a little baby food (make sure the baby food does not contain any onion).
    "

http://www.felinecrf.org/holistic_treatments.htm#seb_capsules

ETA Because SEB has a "funky" taste my kitties will not eat it on their food. I open the capsules, add water and make a watery paste, which I give with a food syringe.

Sharon14 likes this.
  30. Critter Mom

Sending prayers and healing thoughts for Dennis. I feel for you from the bottom of my heart. (I know what it is to have worries about treatment costs.)

If you suspect a blockage then anything with fibre (e.g slippery elm) is a bad idea because it would add fuel to the fire. Something highly digestible would be better (e.g. plain poached chicken).

Sending :bighug::bighug::bighug: and prayers for you, too. In particular, I'm praying that you'll be able to get Dennis help should he need it.

Mogs

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  31. Critter Mom

More about cat constipation and GI tract here:

www.felineconstipation.org

As mentioned above, constipation can cause vomiting and diarrhoea may also be present as watery stool can 'leak' around a stuck stool.

Mogs

32. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

No, he hasn't pooped since yesterday (probably in the morning). I've been up with him almost all night and I didn't see him try to use the litter box. Although I did manage to fall asleep for about an hour so maybe he tried to go then.
    How would you go about giving coconut oil? Warm it to turn it into a liquid and add it to his food? If so, how much would you recommend?
    I'm not giving him a straight probiotic- it's a digestive enzyme + probiotic (https://www.chewy.com/naturvet-digestive-enzymes-plus/dp/126959). Just buy the elm bark at the pharmacy? Is there a specific brand that I need, or that I need to stay away from?

33. Tuxedo Mom

From the first post:

"He's been pooping a lot (it's been very soft and sometimes partially diarrhea), which I attribute to the relatively new food that he's on.:"

It sounds like everything is going through okay and this could be a GI upset from the change to a new food. My girlie had an episode yesterday very similiar, with the projectile vomiting and runs and a very gurgly stomach. I gave her the SEB and by this morning she seems to be much more comfortable and is eating well again.

:bighug: :bighug:

Sharon14 likes this.
  34. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

is poached chicken the same as boiled chicken?

35. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

I'm sorry your little one got sick. :(
    The elm bark is used to settle the tummy but shouldn't be used if there is constipation, right? In that case, maybe I should wait on that until I know for sure it's not constipation.

36. Daphne

Daphne Member

Poached chicken is where you don't let the water boil. Ideally you cook the chicken in water that stays constantly at 165-180 degrees. The chicken turns out much softer than if you bring it to a boil.

I'm sorry, it does sound like there is something more going on here than just food. GI problems can have various causes, ranging from self-resolving and benign to needing serious medical attention.

It could still be related to the food. It might not be. It's impossible to say exactly. This could potentially resolve itself still. His life doesn't sound like it's in immediate danger, so you have time to think.

Are there any low-cost veterinary clinics in your area? My local SPCA runs one for families that earn less then $45k a year. Your local SPCA or humane society may offer one as well. That may be an option to save money now and in the future, but it doesn't solve your lack of money problem right now.

If you have a local veterinary school, that may also be a way to get treatment for free or at reduced cost.

Calling places and asking questions is free.

Have you heard of CareCredit? That may be an option to help with current costs.

Since it sounds like your vet is working with you, they may allow you to run your tab up some more. There may be some charities that will help pay off medical bills like this. I'll see what I can find.

Critter Mom likes this.
  37. Daphne

Daphne Member

38. Critter Mom

If I were worried about a blockage I'd wait till a vet could examine my cat before adding bulking agents.

Mogs

Squalliesmom likes this.
  39. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Thank you so much for the info. Do you put the chicken in the oven or on the stovetop? Typically I put it in a shallow pan and submerge the chicken by 50% then bake on 350(now I'm thinking that's much too high) and flip it one time.

You're right, the only definitive answer is going to have to come from his vet....I'm just so overwhelmed. I feel like I can't handle this anymore, but he means everything to me.

I'll look again for a lower cost SPCA but I looked about a year ago when my other cat tried to jump on the counter but missed, fell, landed on the trash can and fractured her hip....that was a $1,700 surgery.......At that time no low cost vets existed around me. I wish I could use CareCredit but I've been declined. It's not helping that since he was diagnosed I've stopped paying certain bills- most weeks it comes down to paying a bill or taking care of Dennis. I always choose him (I'm a full time student working as an intern when I can. I only make $13/hour and I have a mortgage and car payment. Oh and I like to buy myself groceries when I can :/ ). His needs are just far beyond my ability and I don't know what to do anymore.

Thank you for all the advice. It helps to know there are such caring people on here.

40. Tuxedo Mom

41. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Thank you. It looks like they aren't accepting new applications for assistance right now but I've only ever heard great things about them.

42. Tuxedo Mom

43. Daphne

Daphne Member

Have you looked into financial assistance for yourself? You may qualify for food stamps, section 8 housing vouchers, etc.

If you don't think you can afford to take care of your cat, you may consider looking for a new home. There may be specialty foster groups in your area, or one worth driving out to.

I've been in a spot where I was concerned I'd have to surrender my cats. Luckily it didn't/hasn't come to that, but I felt a lot better knowing about where I could possibly take them if it got to that point.

44. Daphne

Daphne Member

It looks like he ate an hour ago. Has he vomited or pooped since then? What is his blood glucose currently?

45. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

I haven't looked into that. Just reading your post brought me to tears. I don't know how I could ever give him away; he truly means the world to me. I got him as a little rescue kitten. Someone took him away from his mom when he was too little. Then they decided they didn't want him so they put him in a box, taped it up....and threw him into a dumpster in the city. We're really lucky we found each other <3
    I'm not sure how to wrap my head around giving him to someone else..... :(

46. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

No vomit. No poop (no attempts either). He's alert but bloated. I've never before seen an animal get instantly boated after eating (or instantly un-bloated the second he vomits).
    It's been 1.5 hours since insulin and his BG is down from 442 to 405, which makes sense. He's been high for a while now, and he usually starts to really come down around +4.

47. Daphne

Daphne Member

Are his current symptoms similar to when he had DKA?

I know how upsetting it can be to imagine your kitty at a shelter or with a strange family. Just being aware of such shelters or foster groups doesn't mean it will eventually happen. After my husband and I decimated our savings on Peanut last year, we had to sit down and have very serious conversations about what to do if certain things should happen, and we cried a lot over the thought of surrendering one or both cats to a foster group.

I've never seen a bloated cat before either. My husband has digestive issues, and it's amazing how quickly he can become bloated after eating.

Critter Mom likes this.
  48. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

When he was DKA I had no idea what to look for in terms of symptoms. He began to act like he was being starved- he was always freaking out and going crazy for food but suddenly he was lethargic, shaky, and lost the stability in his back legs.
    It's my opinion that this is not the beginning of DKA (so long as it usually presents itself in the same way).

I have been using the ketostix to test for ketones. The strips have been an odd tan color that is in between "negative" and "trace". I posted about that a couple weeks ago and the general consensus was that he didn't seem to have trace. The vet seemed to agree. Although my one concern is that one of his vets (he sees 2 at the same practice) told me that the urine test strips are unreliable and do not always pick up on the ketones.....so now I'm worried.

49. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

To clarify, he does not have weakness in his back legs right now....he is not lethargic but maybe a little "down in the dumps". But he's back to being vocal and looking at me when I talk to him. The two things that concern me are the bloating and lack of poop.

I have to leave the house for a few hours so I'm going to seclude him (I have 2 kitties) to make sure he's peeing and pooping. :/

50. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I see Tuxedo mom gave the dosage for the SEB. Also, get some Florastor from the drug store. It is a S. Boulardii probiotic. It is a human probiotic and it is wonderful for diarrhea. It is a bit pricey but worth it! (about $50 and I get it at CVS) You can stir it right into the food as they usually don't detect it. The dosage is 1/2 capsules twice a day. Then when the diarrhea stops use a maintence dose of 1/4 capsule twice a day.

There is a brand called Jarrow that is the same probiotic but they add something called MOS into it and it is bitter tasting and can't be sprinkle into the food as they won't eat it so you would need to put into a gel cap and pill him. It is about $ 17 a bottle on line.

As far as using ketone strips, keep in mind that ketones take up to 8 hours to show in the urine. If you use a blood ketone meter, they show up right away. So, just be diligent with frequent testing right now.

51. Squalliesmom

Regardless of what the current cause or diagnosis of his tummy troubles, it sounds like you really need some help. Please DO contact DCIN, they are a wonderful organization and may well be able to help you.

I hope Dennis' tummy troubles resolve themselves soon. Please keep us posted! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  52. Critter Mom

An idea just came to me: try crowdfunding.

Mogs

Squalliesmom likes this.
  53. Squalliesmom

That's a good idea, too. That's what I am going to have to do for Squallie's dental.

Critter Mom likes this.
  54. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Like GoFundMe? I did that when he was in the ER with DKA..... Unfortunately, it wasn't as successful as I had hoped. But we did manage to raise about $130 which certainly helps. Every penny does. If you have any other ideas please do share them with me. Thank you!

Critter Mom likes this.
  55. Critter Mom

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

Daphne likes this.
  56. Daphne

Daphne Member

How is Dennis doing now?

57. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Hi there. He's still looking uncomfortable and bloated. He is also acting like he's starving. He's particularly grumpy; growling and scratching his "sister", which is not normal. He's purring (I've heard cats do that when they are in pain though??)...... The vet opens in 15minutes and I'm going to call them. I stayed home from class so that I can take him in. One piece of good news: He *JUST* pooped in the box. I'm glad but also concerned because it was very firm, almost too hard to be healthy. That's a sudden change from absolute diarrhea, to not pooping at all, then to very hard pooh.
    I have noticed that he's also shaky/unstable. You can't really tell unless you're really looking for it.....I tested his urine for ketones yesterday and it didn't show any traces. Can it still be present if his BG drops into an acceptable range after insulin?

Daphne likes this.
  58. Critter Mom

Happy Poop Dance!

How long since the previous poop?

Mogs

59. Daphne

Daphne Member

He's a bit dehydrated and eating less than usual, I'd say it's expected that his poop would be pretty hard. When cats are dehydrated, they take all the moisture they can from the food in their bowels, leading to hard, dry poops.

It does sound likely that he's still in pain. :(

I'm very glad he's going to the vet today.

I don't know. Hopefully someone else can help. Definitely something to bring up to your vet.

60. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Before this morning the last one was about 48 hours ago which is very strange for him. He's a multiple poops per day kind of guy.

61. Critter Mom

If you're going to the vet insist on his doing a physical exam of the abdomen - specifically looking for any signs of too much stool backed up in the colon.

If there is backed-up faeces your vet may be able to deploy an enema or other intervention to get things moving again. (Again, I recommend reading through www.felineconstipation.org to learn more about potential problems and how to monitor a cat with GI issues better.) If not backed up, perhaps a very limited period of Reglan (metoclopramide) treatment might help as it can improve gastric emptying speed and give a boost to gut motility in the short term. (NB: Reglan has some nasty side effects which can harm motor function - potentially irreversibly - if used longer term but it can be a very useful treatment for acute conditions provided it is used only for a brief period to get things moving again.)

If you can at all stretch to some blood tests, I suggest a general panel (esp kidney markers) plus B12/folate and pancreatitis (either SNAP fPL or Spec fPL). If circumstances mean that only selective testing is manageable, if it were me I'd opt to test for pancreatitis (SNAP fPL would do - subject to availability at a given vets but gives the most significant and perfectly adequate Yes/No result for initial diagnosis of the condition) ; B12/folate and then kidney markers. (Based on the clinical signs you describe, I've put these tests in order of priority and potential usefulness when a budget is tight. Other members may suggest better ideas. You also need to take on board any advice from your vets. (We're all lay people here, regardless of how experienced some members may be in various feline health issues. That said, there are some extremely knowledgeable and experienced members here who have walked similar paths to the one that Dennis and yourself are currently treading. If you get good suggestions here and yet the vet doesn't make similar suggestions then please don't be shy about bringing along some notes about treatments suggested here as a basis for discussion. So many vets, while well-intentioned, don't have the luxury of the time we here can devote to education about all the potential treatment avenues available.

If constipation is the issue and you can get the gut moving again properly then treatments such as slippery elm bark, plain canned pumpkin and perhaps Miralax can help keep Dennis regular going forward and hopefully resolve any inappetence/nausea issues.

I'm sending prayers and positive thoughts for Dennis to get back to normal and feeling much better very soon.

Mogs

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  62. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

There's also a condition called megacolon that can develop in some cats. The colon fills with poop and the colon walls are too weak to push it out. They also stretch out to enlarge the colon diameter, hence the name megacolon. The condition usually requires surgical excision of the dilated section of colon. It should show up on X-ray. Maybe something to ask the vet about.

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/digestive/c_ct_megacolon

Critter Mom likes this.
  63. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Hi everyone. So we don't have too many answers but the vet said that Dennis' system has "slowed down" which caused the vomit and lack of poop. She does not think he has a complete blockage at this time however, if we do not treat it now she thinks it will turn into a complete blockage. He was put on an OTC anti gas medication (called Little Remedies). He was also put on Metoclopramide which should help his system start digesting properly again. The vet has asked me to stop checking his BG (I KNOW, I KNOW). Her reasoning is that she thinks inconsistant dosages are preventing him from becoming regulated. I disagree but I'm willing to step away from the meter if she truly thinks it's for the best.....I'm just not on board with not testing before shooting!!
    Oh, they also gave him some fluids.
    I also asked about the pancreas- she does not think that is an issue right now and due to my financial restraints she did not want to run a blood panel. She also thinks that although he is not regulated, his numbers are good enough to keep him away from being DKA (I'm always paranoid about this).
    The vet wants to see him again next week.....so we are just hoping it's as simple as giving meds and watching him get back to normal...... *fingers crossed*

If he stops eating then we know there is a larger issue. Thank you everyone for all of your thoughts, ideas and advice. It truly means the world to me that you all care so much.
    If anything changes I'll update you. <3

Squalliesmom and Critter Mom like this.
  64. Critter Mom

Great that your vet's onside and helping. :)

Mogs

65. Tuxedo Mom

I am glad the vet is giving supportive treatment. HOWEVER I do disagree with not testing. You need to test before each shot...which I am sure you will do and one test in between, around +3 hours after the shot, to see how low the dose is bringing Dennis. Once Dennis is feeling better it is possible that his glucose numbers could start to drop and you would want to be able to catch that.

Sending lots of healing energy for Dennis and :bighug: :bighug: for you

Squalliesmom and Critter Mom like this.
  66. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

I agree 100% ! If he was too low and I gave him his dose and anything happened to him, I'd never forgive myself. In the morning I shoot and leave for work. I don't get back until a half hour before he's due for insulin again! If something was wrong I would never know. At night I shoot him and 3 hours later I go to bed. Not checking the BG just doesn't sit right with me.....

67. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

One thing I'm wondering is why Dennis is shaky. If I pay close attention I can see that his front legs are shaky. When it comes to his back legs, he often he has to "catch himself" if he tries to turn around too quickly, or if he rubs against my legs he will lose his balance.
    Would that be because his BG is high before insulin (even though it comes down to a decent number after insulin) or should I be worried about DKA even though the vet said not to be? He's in the low 200s right now (+4) but he's shaky.....What could cause that??
    Looking back, I don't know if she did any tests that would have shown ketones.......I use the ketodiastix but the results have been a weird color that's between "negative" and "trace"......

68. Tuxedo Mom

From the sounds of what you are describing it could be either neuropathy or low potassium. If you have had a complete bloodwork done recently it would show if there was a problem with the potassium levels. Diabetic neuropathy causes a muscle weakness, usually in the hind legs, but it can also affect the front legs. If Dennis seems to be walking on his hocks, rather than his toes this is one of the signs of neuropathy. It can be treated with B12 METHYLCOBALAMIN which is available as Zobaline:

[​IMG]

Once the glucose levels are under better control and supplementing with B12 is started there should be some signs of improvement. It can take weeks or even months to reverse the neuropathy, depending how bad it is.

69. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

That's good to know. He's still walking on his toes but sometimes it seems like he sits down to avoid feeling a little unstable. Would it hurt to give him the B12 even if he doesn't have the condition? I don't think he's ever been checked for it and I can't remember the last time he had a full blood work panel.

70. Tuxedo Mom

You ca give the B12 METHYLCOBALAMIN , which is what Zobaline is without a problem. It is a water soluble vitamin and whatever is excess is secreted out in the urine. At the recommended doses there is no problems with taking it.

71. Tuxedo Mom

This is a video showing a kitty with advanced neuropathy and the improvement with using B12.

72. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Oh wow that's amazing. I think that's worth a shot. The one feature I noticed that Dennis has in common with the video is that he will sometimes put his back feet together and point his "toes" outward (like a balarina would put her heels together and point the feet outward). I'm not sure if it's for stability, or if he doesn't have a lot of energy....but you might be on to something here.

73. Tuxedo Mom

One of my FD kitties had definite neuropathy...he is very hard to regulate and often runs in higher numbers. Using the B12 has made a big difference with him. He also had the feet pointing outward, and would only walk a short distance before having to sit down and rest. He is not 100% but that is largely because with his other health issues, he runs in higher numbers more often than I would like.

It is certainly worth a try. :bighug:

74. Critter Mom

How are yourself and Dennis doing?

Mogs

75. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Thank you for checking in :)
    He's pretty shaky still- until Friday I can't afford to buy the B12 that was suggested.... I hope that will help.
    I called to ask the vet why she thinks Dennis is so shaky and she said it's due to the fact that he's been straining to poop; she said that causes fatigue and shakiness.....I' e never heard that before.
    But other than the shakiness and bloating after eating, he hasn't vomited, which is good news.
    I just can't help but feel that something isn't quite right... I'm not sure if that's "kitty mom" instinct, or paranoia. It's a fine line!! Lol

76. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

He's also been breathing fast :/
    Apparently the vet doesn't think that's too big of a deal but I do.
    If anyone has any thoughts that would be appreciated as well.

77. Nancy & Cootie (GA)

Nancy & Cootie (GA) Member

Sorry that I don't have any info for you regarding Dennis's issues, but I do have some leftover Zobaline (20 tablets) that my Cootie didn't finish before she passed away. They've been kept in a cool dark space & don't expire til 2017. The Zobaline works great but I think you can only get it online & it's kind of pricey.

I would be happy to send them to you right away tomorrow if you want to PM me with your name & address.
    Nancy

78. Tuxedo Mom

If Dennis is having breathing problems and is still experiencing the bloated belly, he should be seen by a vet ASAP. There could be fluid in the abdomen, or an enlarged organ. I would not simply dismiss it because the vet does not think it is a problem.

79. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Would that be something the vet would have noticed during his physical yesterday?

*i wouldn't say it's a breathing *problem* but he's breathing faster than usual. This has happened before when his BG was cknstantly high. He's walking around pretty normally....he's eating, peeing, he's not lethargic. It's not like his breathing is labored....but it's faster than usual.

80. Critter Mom

Vets can miss things. Trust your own instincts and get him examined again.

81. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If he's a bit dehydrated add a few tablespoons of water to his food and a spoonful of canned pumpkin that is plain with no spices. I've used pumpkin several times with my cat with great success.

82. Critter Mom

I'd suggest not adding any pumpkin to Dennis' food till you know for definite what's going on with his GI tract (and always discuss any such additions with your vet first before trialling something new). But as Janet suggests above a couple of teaspoonfuls of water with each small meal could help hydrate him better. Don't add too much because it can water down the flavour of the food too much and he might not eat it. If you're trying anything new (e.g. adding water) do it while you're at home in the evening so that you can make sure he eats the food reliably (vital that he eats it with insulin in the picture and that you know he will eat while you're away from the house during the day).

Mogs

83. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Thank you, I usually add quite a bit of water to every meal and he doesn't seem to mind. Yesterday, the vet recommended via phone call that I add pumpkin to his food to help him poop incase he is constipated. He strained to poop yesterday (pushing a lot and lots of noisy gas came out) so I'm guessing he is at least a little constipated. So far no progress since eating pumpkin.

The vet suggested the same thing. I'm glad to hear it's helped you in the past. I hope it works for Dennis!

Critter Mom likes this.
  84. JanetNJ

The loose stools before could actually be constipation related. If there's a dry poop stuck, some of the watery stuff can squeeze past it. My cat would get diarrhea a little and that's our signal it's time for pumpkin.

Critter Mom likes this.
  85. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Not to update you all too much- but Dennis just pooped. He was clearly straining but when he did poop it was solid and it was pretty normal looking until I REALLLLLY looked at it and I could see a little bit of blood on the outside of the "sample"......

I have called the vet and I am waiting for a call back but can anyone tell me how bad is it to find a little bit of blood in the poop when they're straining to poop?

(He's still on a OTC anti-gas med, Metoclopramide to help "move things along" (not a stool softener as far as I know), pumpkin, and he's been eating his old diet that he tolerates well)

86. Kris & Teasel

If he had to strain and the poop was more solid than normal, the blood could be from a mild anal abrasion.

87. Critter Mom

Yay for the poop! (We like good poops round here. ;) )

From www.drugs.com:

What is metoclopramide?
    Metoclopramide increases muscle contractions in the upper digestive tract. This speeds up the rate at which the stomach empties into the intestines.

Metoclopramide is used short-term to treat heartburn caused by gastroesophageal reflux in people who have used other medications without relief of symptoms.

Metoclopramide is also used to treat slow gastric emptying in people with diabetes (also called diabetic gastroparesis), which can cause nausea, vomiting, heartburn, loss of appetite, and a feeling of fullness after meals.

Source: https://www.drugs.com/metoclopramide.html

It can't be used long-term because it messes around with dopamine levels and can have some nasty (potentially non-reversible) side effects.

Mogs

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  88. JanetNJ

If it was bright red then it's most likely just from straining. Keep giving pumpkin. I wouldn't worry unless it continued

89. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Wow! Awesome info! Thank you. I've been running around like crazy and didn't even think to google that medication. Thank you!! :) :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  90. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

You're right, it was red. The vet called me back to say that she doesn't think it's an issue. I'll watch him closely though :) Thank you!

JanetNJ likes this.
  91. Critter Mom

Thinking of you. Sending some scritches for Dennis and a :bighug: for you.

Mogs

MClarke087 likes this.
  92. Audrey's Momma

Audrey's Momma Member

Scritchies from me too to little Dennis. I hope things work out nicely for both of you.

❤️

MClarke087 and Critter Mom like this.
  93. JanetNJ

How is your kitty today?

Critter Mom likes this.
  94. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Hi. Thank you for asking. His BG has come down to 350 tonight which is a wonderful surprise (I have to update his SS).
    He just pooped again (finally) but it's bloody :/ The vet still doesn't seem concerned but I certainly am...... Something just isn't right.

95. JanetNJ

That certainly is disconcerting, but he may be just reopening cuts from yesterday. Is it more than a few spots?

96. Kris & Teasel

Usually bright red blood comes from trauma right around the anus or lower rectum. Hard stool or straining could cause this. Stools that are tarry black are a sign of something more serious that has caused bleeding further up inside the digestive tract.

Critter Mom and JanetNJ like this.
  97. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

I have to look carefully to see it. But then I wipe the "sample" with some toilet paper and I can see that there is blood there. It is not a lot, but it seems to be strictly on the outside of the stool....and again, it's not extremely noticeable but it is certainly there.

98. MClarke087

MClarke087 Member

Thank you. Yes, it's red. His stool WAS black but that was due to the venison he was eating (since I changed the diet, his stool is anywhere from light to dark brown and solid- yay!).
    I hope this is just from straining but he's been on a gentle diet, medication, and pumpkin for a few days now.......shouldn't he be better by now? :(

99. Sharon14

Critter Mom likes this.
  100. Kris & Teasel

He might still have raw, abraded areas from his episode of constipation that bleed when he poops. They need time to heal.

MClarke087 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.