PLEASE HELP! DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nemosmomma, Dec 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Ok. I just got off the phone with the ER and they won't see him unless i have $. He told me to keep testing him every 30 min. Ill test him how often you say I should test him. Only high carb food i.have is dry which he eats no problem. I put the honey on the end of my finger and put it in his mouth. Sorry having a bit of a panic attack here. I so ****ed up

2. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

I bought a can of gravy shredded FF by accident. Ill give him that. I told the tech if he doesn't go up or drips again I'm coming in and we'll have to.figure out the money issue

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Ok first of all don't panic. And don't beat yourself up.:bighug: We are here for you and won't leave you alone.
    Don't feed him all the FF and gravy. Put some honey in it and feed him a tablespoon of it.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Test again in 15 mins after the last test. We need to try and keep ahead of him dropping again if possible.
    Here's a few hugs for you:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Excellent...it’s really important that you take him in if he’s not coming up and staying up. We are not vets here and honey wears off too fast. I’ve seen low numbers go on for 24 hours and it’s not worth it. Hypos can kill and fast.

I’d like to see one more test before I sign off. Bron said she would stay with you and she’s experienced....trust her advice and pls go to ER immediately if she tells you to, ok?

6. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Ok. Gave him a tablespoon of the food and added honey and he's eating it, mainly licking the gravy

7. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Ok. I most definitely will! Bron is awesome! She's helped me alot in the last month! I'm he juat at his gravy and honey so I'll test in 15 min

8. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

You don't know how much those mean and how much you've helped me! Really I can't thank you enough! I'll be testing him again in 12 min. He's gonna hate me by the morning! Lol

9. Marje and Gracie

It’s been +20 mins since you last tested so pls test now. Let’s start to keep track of numbers here like this:

+2.5 56
    +3 37
    +3.5 56

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

15 mins from the LAST test not 15 mins from now please:)

11. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Ok. Standby

12. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

We are at 117!!

JanetNJ likes this.
  13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Woo hoo!
    That's great but our work is not finished. We will need to keep testing until we don't.

14. Marje and Gracie

Great. Remember HC wears off fast but you can let him go now for 30 mins but no more.

+2.5 56
    +3 37
    +3.5 56
    +4 117

Please don’t forget to read my dosing instructions post 88 on page 1 of this thread. The dose needs to be reduced by 0.25u.

Great job all. Nighty Night. Happy New Year.

15. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Amen to that! Ok so I can breathe a bit! Um....Ok so I need a plan. When do I feed him next and am I now testing every 30 min or still every 15min?

16. Bron and Sheba (GA)

'Night Marje. Thank you for your support:bighug:
    Happy New Year

17. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Thank you so very much!!! Will keep you posted! Night and Happy New Year

18. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok so can you tell me are we up to +4 now?
    So can you test 30 minutes from your Last test please and post immediately.
    Don't feed any more food at the moment. Let's see how he goes with the next test.
    Give yourself a pat on the back ...you did well!
    Make yourself a cuppa and try and relax for a bit but don't forget the next test!!

19. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Oh I don't think I could forget if I tried! His next test is 20 min from now. I wrote down the times for the next 4 tests so I wouldn't screw that up. Lol. Talk to ya in 20. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!:bighug::coffee:

20. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

We are at 196!!

21. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That is good. I think we can test again in 30 mins and then if he is still ok we will go to one hour. No need to feed anymore at the moment. So I will see you in 30 mins. How does he seem. Ok?

22. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Besides being mad at me, yes he seems ok. He's resting in one of his favorite spots. Thank God for you and his BG going back UP! See you in 30! :cat::)

23. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

We are at 253!!!!!!

24. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Looks like he could be bouncing after those low numbers...….or its all the honey and dry food.
    Are we up to +5 now?
    I think we should test in one hour to see how things are going. OK?

+2.5 56
    +3 37
    +3.5 56
    +4 117
    +4.5 196
    +5 253

25. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

That sounds like a plan! Can I go ahead and put their canned food out? I don't know if he'll eat but my other 4 are not so patiently waiting. Lol. They're almost used to this canned food schedule now.

26. Bron and Sheba (GA)

yes go ahead and feed your other cats, but I wouldn't feed any more to Nemo at the moment. I would like to see what the next BSL is without any food if possible....

27. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Ok.gotta call.vet. his nose won't stop bleeding

28. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Whose nose? Nemo's?

29. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Sorry. Yes. He's had alittle sneeze in and off since last month. Vet wasn't worried unless he got discharge again. 2 days ago I noticed alittle blood. Today I put a drop of saline in his nose and he didn't sneeze all day until just a couple min ago. He had a sneezing fit and blood was everywhere!! It's almost stopped now so I'm just letting him chill for a min.

30. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I'm glad it has almost stopped.

31. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Me too! It looks like I murdered somebody! Lol. I'm splattered with blood and the living room and bathroom especially! This poor dude is having a bad day! Ugh

Attached Files:

32. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Poor Nemo, he's a gorgeous boy. I am very partial to ginger kitties. That is quite a bit of blood to come from a kittys nose.

33. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Thank You! Him and his sister were my bottle babies! I lost her,Nala, in March to cancer...I'm not ready to lose him too! I'm holding everyone's food until aft et his next test, which will be in 20 min. If he's still on the upward trend do you think it will be safe to do a few hours after that? As long as I leave him be he's not sneezing, so I'd love it if we could let him rest for awhile. Lower his blood pressure..

34. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Nemo and Nala

Attached Files:

35. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Beautiful photo.
    Lets wait and see what the next test says before deciding.

36. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Thank You! Im gonna get ready I got 2 min.

37. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Ok he's 247! Dropped 6 points. What do you think? I can give him his canned food now too...

38. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes you could give him some of his normal low carb food, Not too much as we don't want to fill him up in case we have to give him more, but I would test again in 1 hour to see he is not dropping further, once the high carb food and honey starts wearing off. Are you OK with that?
    Also can you confirm are we at +6 now please?

+2.5 56
    +3 37
    +3.5 56
    +4 117
    +4.5 196
    +5 253

+6 247

39. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

That sounds good to me. Ill give them their food and that should help relax him too, I hope. Then recheck in an hour. You'll have to forgive me I'm not really getting What the +2 thru +6 is, then again my brain is barely working right now.
    At 220 am he was 56
    245am 37
    305am 56
    340am 117
    410am 196
    440am 253
    540am 247
    I know you're like 16 hours ahead of me, but I hope this helps answer your question

40. Bron and Sheba (GA)

if
    I'm sure you must be very tired Amy after staying up all night and having such a stressful situation.
    +2 means 2 hours after the insulin shot and +6 is 6 hours after the insulin shot etc. Because we live all over the world we talk in +4 etc numbers instead of time because time means nothing to me when you talk in US time and visa versa. But we all understand + number of hours after insulin time.
    So if you could tell me what time you gave the insulin we can work out where we are up to.
    The reason it is important is because I want to know how many hours we are past giving the last dose of insulin. Thanks.

41. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Even in my brain fog I understood that. Lol
    I gave him .75 of insulin at 11:30pm

42. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Great. That means we were at +6 at the last test. Marje had that time down but I didn't know how she had worked it out.....obviously must be on the same or similar time zone as you and understood what you were saying.

Later today, if you are not too tired, could you go to the shops and buy some higher carb canned food to have in the house for Nemo for when he drops low?
    Dry food, even though it is high carb, is absorbed more slowly than wet food and when kitty is low, we want the food to be absorbed quickly.
    Here is a link to Lisa Piersons food chart. Have a look at what you think he will eat.... he has CKD too so you will need to look for low phosphorus
    When you get home mark each can with the number of carbs it has with a texta. When you are in a hurry it is much easier to not have to check the number of carbs but just look.
    For the phosphorus level in the food look for 250mgm or better 200mgm/100Kcals. Keep these cans in the cupboard with your jar of honey or Karo for nights like this.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...m6PPfEUz9YmzMGMxkmcBk6uRR0/edit#gid=113878384

43. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

He is 252! Yay Nemo! Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming.

44. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

I will definitely do that! I have to go out today to get more canned because we're almost out. Then I can't stock up when I get my disability check.

45. Bron and Sheba (GA)

+2.5 56
    +3 37
    +3.5 56
    +4 117
    +4.5 196
    +5 253

+6 247
    +7 252
    That's good he seems to be surfing along in the mid 250s.
    How much food did you give him an hour ago when you gave him some low carb food?

46. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

He really didn't eat much maybe a teaspoon

47. Bron and Sheba (GA)

OK. So he hasn't really eaten anything except that teaspoon since +4. That's right isn't it?

48. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

That is correct

49. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Let me know when you want me to test him again. I think it's safe to say that he won't be getting his insulin at 11am.

50. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok. I am thinking one more test in an hour from the last test to see that he is not going to drop when the high carb dry food wears off. Then we can probably do it less frequently. Is that OK?
    It is getting pretty late here now and I am looking for someone to take over from me to help you. But Ill stay until I find someone.
    Don't forget to read the post number 88 that Marje mentioned about reducing the dose.
    How is Nemo's nose now?

51. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Ok that sounds like a plan. I'm gonna shut my eyes for this hour, finding it hard to keep them open. Yes I saw that she wanted to drop to .5. Knock on wood it's not bleeding like it was ,just a little dry blood now. Gonna shut my eyes for 20 min then take.his BG .

52. Bron and Sheba (GA)

make sure you set the alarm !!!

53. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

He's 286!

54. Bron and Sheba (GA)

+2.5 56
    +3 37
    +3.5 56
    +4 117
    +4.5 196
    +5 253

+6 247
    +7 252
    +8 286

Well I think you will be safe to leave it for 2 hours before testing again. If Nemo wants a small low carb snack let him have it.
    can you set the alarm for 2 hours?
    If you are unsure what to do for the next shot....whether to give it or not....post and ask for help. You will need to change your subject line so people are alerted that you need assistance.
    I will probably be asleep in 2 hours but someone else will be watching for the result.
    You have done really well tonight Amy......a scary introduction to low numbers!

55. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Let me know how he is. I'm in Eastern Canada so I'm awake right now.

56. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Amy, @Kris & Teasel has kindly said she will pop in and check on you now as I need to get to bed.
    I will have a look when I wake up to see how you are going.
    You have done really well tonight with a difficult situation!
    Bron

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  57. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Hi Kris.
    I did his BG at 10:10am and it was 403. I.was thinking I prob shouldn't give him insulin at 1130am, but Bron wanted me to check with you. What do you think?

58. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Thank you Bron for EVERYTHING! I tried to answer when you first sent this but I couldn't get into the site. You're a lifesaver!

59. Kris & Teasel

When was his last dose and what was the PS when you gave it? How much was that dose? It'll help me to know so I don't have to read through this long thread. :) I know there was a lot of drama afterward ... ;)

60. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Yes I messed up huge!! I gave him insulin at 1130pm last night when I checked him at 220am he was down to 56 and 30 min later he went to 37. We've spent all night getting his numbera back up and now he's 403

61. Kris & Teasel

So, if I understand you, you gave his last dose 11 hours ago? Please verify. I also need to know how much that dose was. Right - you forgot to get his PMPS.

62. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Yes I gave him .75 insulin 11 hours ago. And yes i forgot to do his bg before his food and shot

63. Kris & Teasel

I read Marje's post where she said that if this recent PS was above 300 you could "shoot through the bounce", ie., give that same 0.75 u dose once more and then lower by 0.25 u to a 0.50 u dose after that. He's well above 300 so you could try that. You have no idea how low he was last night when you gave 0.75 u so it should be OK. If you're uncomfortable with that after a sleepless night, drop to 0.50 u right now. I'd get a +2 to see what he's doing because they can be left insulin sensitive after a string of very low BGs. Sound like a plan?

I think it would be good to start a new thread now because this one is very long. Give it an appropriate title like "Low BG Drama Aftermath" or something so there's a hint as to what preceded it. Maybe start with a capsule version of last night's events.

64. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Ok gotcha. I would feel better doing the .5 unit when he's due next. Should I give it to him now or wait until his normal time , between 11 and 1130am?

65. Marje and Gracie

Morning! Great job last night, Amy and Bron!!!

Amy...I was not anticipating that you would be up all night long so you must be exhausted and so must he. So I want to give you a dosing option. It’s ok if you want to go ahead and give the new, reduced dose of 0.5u at AMPS today so you can rest. He might bounce hard, but that’s ok. He will come down eventually within six cycles. But...there’s also the chance that all that HC will wear off and he will come back down this cycle.

So your choice.

Edited to add: just saw your last post, Amy. You should give his shot 12 hours from the last one unless you are wanting to move it back earlier. In that case, for where he is in numbers, you can shoot 30-60 minutes early Only you are giving 0.5u.

66. Kris & Teasel

Wait until normal time and give 0.5 u. Now - new thread. ;)

67. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Gotcha and thank you!!!

68. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Morning Marje.
    Yes up all night but worth it! I really can't think straight right now. Ill give him the .5 at his normal time and then we will both rest. Ill start a new thread when we get up from our nap and let you know what his post shot number is. Does that sound good?

69. Marje and Gracie

That sounds great.

I want you to know we all make errors in dealing with FD so no looking back because he’s doing well and, as Bron said, do not best yourself up.

It taking the lesson forward, never, ever give insulin without testing first. My guess is he might have been too low for you to shoot or it would have been borderline. We are grateful you posted right away and thankful Bron was there. Each day with FD is a day to learn. :)

When you get up, if you can get me the info I requested for his SS, I’ll get that done for you. Or, actually, if you even PM me the last two items on the last before you lie down, I can piece the rest of it together so it will be done when you get up.

Sleep tight to you and Nemo but set an alarm to check him in a few hours, k?

70. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Thank you again for.all your help. Ill get you the last 2 things on your list for the SS before passing out. Lol. Don't worry alarm will be set. Talk soon!

71. Marje and Gracie

Thank you! I’d actually like to see you start posting in the Lantus/Levemir/ Balsagar forum where you’ll meet other Lantus users who can be very helpful to you. There’s lots of good stuff to learn there. The Main Health forum is a great place to start and learn the basics but you’ll learn a lot more about Lantus on that forum.

However, it is your choice. :bighug:

72. Kris & Teasel

I agree - the Lantus forum is a great place for you to get the best advice from very experienced people.

Nemosmomma and Krystina & Nelli like this.
  73. Kris & Teasel

Hurray! I see your spreadsheet now. :smuggrin:

74. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

:bighug: <3

I know you had to be exhausted after that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.