Please help... feeling overwhelmed...How do you get insulin without a prescription in NJ?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jasper Blue and Jay, Mar 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jasper Blue and Jay

Jasper Blue and Jay Member

I am having a panic attack and maybe not thinking clearly but...

I looked at the lantus pens someone generously sent me... and realized that they're not new...there is some missing from both... and now I'm panicking thinking it isn't safe to give one cat insulin that might have had a needle from another cat in it.

I know the person was probably safe and didn't reuse a needle but it's hard to get around that psychologically for me... injecting my cat with something I can never know for sure...

I feel bad to post this because the person was so generous to send it to me and now I feel like an ungrateful jerk for writing this but I don't know what to do.

I called the vet and even though it was just 7 weeks ago he wants a full exam fee, $85, to see him again, teach me how to inject and prescribe prozinc and special prescription only prozinc syringes.

I can't afford all that and he doesnt even have any prozinc at the moment, receptionist says "we can order some on monday".

I called a different vet, they are $67 for a visit, and the blood work is the same as the other vet at $50... but we've never been there before so that receptionist said she can't guarantee what bloodwork would be necessary (up to $200) Though we do have the results from the full bloodwork "annual" from just 7 weeks ago so I don't know why they'd need more than that...

The first one told me with a prescription I could get the prozinc and prozinc syringes on chewy.com .

I'd have to see if the second one has an appointment for tomorrow so maybe they'd be able to give it to me sooner...

Is it impossible for me to get insulin for him without a prescription in NJ?

If I use an insulin the vet doesn't prescribe and he gets sick and goes in there am I going to get in trouble for giving him some other insulin like lantus from someone else?

My head is spinning and my heart is pounding... I don't know what to do...

2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm not in the US so no help in how to get insulin there, just an idea if you are not confortable with your current vet maybe try the new one that is cheaper and show him the blood work you have, and your test results maybe he won't ask for more labs and is willing to work with you in any case you can always say no to more extensive blood work

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The only insulin in the USA you can get that is kind of suitable for cats is N/NPH insulin. The problem is that it only lasts maybe 8 hours or so. At Walmart it maybe cost $30.
    If you go to Canada you can get the good Lantus or Levemir without a script and get it a lot less expensive than in the USA. However, you have to go in person. If you order it you still need a script.
    If the person you received the pen from is reputable I would use it. I have done that with some of the insulin I received from my cats.

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Don't panic. If the pens came from someone on this forum, your probably ok. I have done it. Also if the dose is small to start, it will give you time to get everything settled. KEEP PENS IN FRIDGE. They will last many months.

Next is when you see a vet, tell them this is what he has been getting and you want to stay with it, but need a script so you can get it at Costco or Sam's where it is more affordable. Show him the pen, you don't have to say where you got it from. If some is missing from it vet will think that is what you have been giving.

Did you contact DCIN? They can be and have been liaisons between pet parent and vet. They might be able to help with future insulin needs if you qualify.

If you do get a script, sending it to be filled at Marks Marine in Canada is the best place and more affordable than the U.S. and they will sell 1 pen or the box of 5 pens. They only need a script once as it's good for life.

One other thing, you have 2 posts going and it can be confusing. It's best just to post 1 a day and keep adding to it as the day goes on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.