? Please help - I have questions about dosing with numbers under 90

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA), Apr 1, 2019.

1. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Edited to add: His PMPS is 88.

Jack's numbers are looking good. He has been so low on his pre-shot and mid cycle numbers, so I have been dosing according to that. His PMPS is always lower than his AM, so I was skipping PM doses or just giving him a "drop." Friday night, I lowered his dose from .4 to .2, hoping that it would allow me to dose him the same both AM and PM. Well, he's been so low that I'm still not giving him the same dose at night as I do in the morning. There is really no logic (that I can make sense of) to his numbers. He is often lower at +2 than at pre-shot, but he's never been hypo. And his numbers remain sort of flat throughout his cycle. Is flat a good thing? His AMPS this morning was 85. I still dosed him a drop because I want to keep giving him that insulin to help heal his pancreas (as that's what I understand is the right thing to do). Should I have dosed him higher - maybe .1?
    I would love some feedback on all of this. Am I dosing him correctly by continuing to give him a drop or.1, even when his numbers are so low? Should I continue to dose him at all if he is below 90 at PS? If they stay at 120 or below both AM and PM pre-shot, should I continue to dose him for 14 days (or more?) before I stop? His numbers barely go over 100 all day. Is that good? Should I stop the insulin now?
    Thank you so much for all of your continued support! Jack and I are so lucky to have found this group.
    ~ Carolyn

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Jasper Blue and Jay likes this.
  2. Jasper Blue and Jay

Jasper Blue and Jay Member

Hope someone replies ... good job on the great numbers though! :bighug:

3. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

So do I...

4. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Thank you!!

5. Jasper Blue and Jay

Jasper Blue and Jay Member

@Bobbie And Bubba helped me a lot today with dosing information... maybe if they're around they can weigh in...

6. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Thank you for tagging them. If continuing with one drop will help him to heal, I'll do it forever if that's the right thing to do. But I just want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing because his numbers are low all day long. They almost seem too low to me.

7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Jack is looking absolutely fabulous! You are doing great with him!

Ideally, you want to keep Jack in dark green numbers as much as possible and right now, at least recently, he's still had a few border line blues (117 on the 31st for instance. The odd number in the low blues like the 101 this afternoon is fine but the more green the better.

If I were you, as long as you can monitor, I'd continue the drop dose for a few more days to a week to let his pancreas heal as much as possible and re-evaluate then unless of course he decides to go down any lower at pre-shot or midcycle before then. If he can surf in the greens most of the day, then you can try an OTJ trial and see if he can hold his own without insulin.

Fingers crossed! It certainly looks like you are well on your way to the finish line. antijinx-emoticon.png

8. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Thank you Linda. This is exactly what I was unsure about. Every time that I'm able to monitor, I'll keep him dosed with one drop. But on the days that I can't monitor, such as Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday of this week while I'm working, then it's okay for me just to skip a dose? In other words, is it okay for me to dose him when I'm here to monitor and skip a dose when I'm not?

9. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I agree with Linda on all of that. At least for last night and today, one drop is looking safe - home or not. However, that may change, so if you're not going to be home and your mama-sense says skip, then skip. In general though I'd say stick with it until you see the one drop bring him lower - like in the 50's or 60's. Then at that point you'll need to skip it if you won't be home.

10. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Thank you. I feel more confident now about dosing him when I leave in the morning, providing he's not as low as the 50s or 60s. He's keeping his little paws crossed!

11. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Thank you!