*Please Help! Kitty eating non clumping cat litter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Susan and Tiberious, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan and Tiberious

Susan and Tiberious Member

I need some advice/information. Yesterday I switched cat litter from fresh step clumping litter to your regular old school non clumping clay cheap litter. My cat has Neuropathy and was constantly stepping into his own clumps( gross I know) and in turn there would be huge clumps stuck to his feet. This would be a nightmare because the only solution, because the Fresh Step litter clumps so well was to wash it off. As we all know baths are not my cats favorite activity, to say the least. So, now here we are today he gets into the litter box and starts EATING the non clumping litter!!!???!!! Any ideas as to why this is occurring? Needless to say, I switched it back to the clumping (where he has never displayed this behavior). It freaked me out, and I'm concerned this is yet another symptom of something more ominous!! nailbite_smile
    Thanks!!

2. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

It *might* be that Tiberious is a bit ravenous from his diabetes. How much are you feeding him? You should give him as much food as he wants to eat right now. Eating litter is also a common sign of anemia. If he's not showing any other signs of illness, then I would for the time being assume it's the uncontrolled diabetes, but I'd keep an eye on him. Did his bloodwork show a low red blood count at all?

I use the the Breeze litter system and I love it. There's no dust, no clumps, no tracking. The pee is collected in an absorbent pad, and you just scopp the poo out. They have $10 coupon on their website right now, and you can pick them up pretty much anywhere. I would never go back to clumping litter after this. The only caveat is that it doesn't handle runny poo very well, so if your cat is prone to frequent diarrhea this is probably not the box for you. If diarrhea is only an occasional problem, well, it's worth the ease of the box in every other aspect.

3. kse

kse Well-Known Member

There is a condition called PICA--you can search it out as I am no expert on it. But, it refers to cats eating such things as litter. It is not uncommon in anemia and kidney cats for them to eat litter.

Like I said, I am no expert on it, but have dealt with it in a Chronic Renal cat before.

Maybe someone will have more information for you.

4. No clue so I googled "kitty eats clay litter". Got lots of hits! Several of them said to check for anemia?
    Carl

5. Susan and Tiberious

Susan and Tiberious Member

Thanks Everyone!

I too Googled and saw that this behavior was a possible sign of anemia. I just got back from the vet who didn't seem to think anemia was the cause. I'm still not sure. The blood work was from 2 weeks a go ( no low red blood count) and the vet said there wasn't a need to do another work up. Just at my wits end today!! :sad: i feel like it's just one thing after another!! Hopefully these symptoms are a result of the diabetes and will start to wan as I (we) get it under control. Will keep you posted.
    Again, thanks for the help and suggestions!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.