Please help - kitty with ketones

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by CCG, Jun 13, 2019.

1. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

When kitty bounces, I take it as her blessing for me to take a nap. :joyful: 347 is safe. Except for needing to keep up food and fluid intake, I think you can take a bit of a break.

Also, honestly, if ketones are not showing above trace and you’re fairly sure at least of that, then I would keep doing what you’re doing and not stress too much on being able to tell that degree of difference. I have a little trouble deciding sometimes between none-trace, too, but what you really want to know is when they get higher than that. Trace is your little safe zone. :)

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I have seen lots of DKA kitties here who have come home and had few or no ketones but are still struggling to eat for several days at least. And they were mostly using cerenia and/or ondansetron as well. So don’t give up hope.

3. CCG

CCG Member

If anyone is online, I could use advice.
    Ty’s BG has been above 300 since his last shot. We’re now +4 pmps.
    He also vomited at +3 pmps for the first time today. I had fed him right before I tried to get some sleep at +2pmps and before his 1U of Lantus with the syringe.

The vomit was pretty runny and there was not much of it. Certainly not as much food as I had fed him even in the last two feedings.
    I let him sit for a bit and just tried to give some water to prevent dehydration but he was fairly resistant.
    Our ketone test at +1 was trace or negative (could not tell based on color) so I’m not sure that’s the culprit.

What is best course of action? When to try to feed again?

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Do you have any cerenia or ondansetron? If not I would let him settle then try him with some watered down food ... not too watered down. Just a bit at a time.
    You may need to up the insulin in the morning if he stays high. But we can wait and see with that.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

How’s it going Courtney? How is Ty feeling?
    I always found it hard to differentiate between negative and trace ketones too.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The maropitant on the vet's notes is the generic name for Cerenia. The vet was dosing both anti-nausea meds (Cerenia and ondansetron). There wasn't anything other than electrolyte changes that I saw on the vet's notes and that's what DKA is all about. (FYI - there's a place on the spreadsheet where you can enter labs.)

Are Ty's gums tacky (sticky)? If you pull back his fur at his scruff does it "bounce" back into place? Those are ways to test for dehydration. The vomiting may be a result of giving him too much water. Likewise, if you're syringing water all the time, his belly may be full and he may refuse food.

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I think it is possible Ty is bouncing from the lovely run of blues he had in the am cycle (yesterday your time) that could explain the high numbers in the pm cycle.

CCG and AliceMeowliss (GA) like this.
  8. CCG

CCG Member

Thank you all. I have calls in to both of the vets (internal medicine and our family vet). Waiting to hear back from them and requested Rx.

Ty did OK overnight. Blood glucose levels were much higher than yesterday.
    I fed him before he got his insulin and at +1 PMPs.
    He vomited at around +2 PMPs... just a little bit. Not a ton. And definitely not all of the food I had given him.
    I held off giving him too much more food, but kept giving him water throughout the night and fed again at +7 PMPs. He is keeping it down. Fed again at PMPs (BG was 487). Giving 1U of Lantus now.

9. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

good morning!:):coffee:
    would you mind creating new thread for today, june 15th?
    this one is too long.
    copy& paste the URL of this page and include in into your post - so the history can be reviewed.
    The higher numbers are to be expected, they'll pass.

CCG, AliceMeowliss (GA) and Sharon14 like this.
  10. CCG

CCG Member

Yes. Starting a new thread!

11. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’ll look for the new thread and post there.

12. CCG

CCG Member

He may be a little dehydrated but it doesn't seem extreme. I'm trying not to give too much water and just a little food at a time but that could be it.

13. CCG

CCG Member