Please help! Stressed out mom and kitty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by injuredrabbit, Jan 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. injuredrabbit

injuredrabbit Member

Hello -
    I know it is still early in the process of getting things regulated but the stress of this is killing me.
    Recent story: Rufus diagnosed by 2nd opinion w/diabetes after 1st vet couldn't connect dots concerning high liver values and high BG.
    Started on 1u Vetsulin in early Dec., slowly worked our way up to 2 at vet's recommendation.
    Rufus has been vomiting off and on, lethargic off and on, and has recently been prescribed mirtazipine for appetite and Cerenia for vomiting, in addition to the Pepcid AC I'd been giving him when the vomiting and inappetance started.
    Before diagnosis he was CONSTANTLY hungry. Now it is a real challenge to get him to eat much at all, even when he seems to be feeling well. He was one of the many dry food addicts, so transitioned to Dr. Elsey's for free nibbling when not being served canned (always the <10% carb). He is a VERY fussy eater in general.
    Took him back to vet last week because I was concerned about the vomiting and the BG rebounds after shots - they were going from low-to-middle 100s up to 400, which was up from mid-300s. Of course the day I took him in, it was one of his 'good' days. His weight was down .5lb from a month ago (13lb8oz on 1/3). She did more bloodwork and the results were great - liver values back to normal and BG around low 200s.
    Since that time I have ordered the YAZC. He devoured that but then developed HORRIBLE, explosive diarrhea and started vomiting again, and this with the FortiFlora sprinkled on all food. So no more of that for him. I hear that it can resolve itself in a week or two, but I'm afraid of him losing even more weight and becoming dehydrated, and I have also heard more negative stories than positives regarding the YA on this site - was just hoping Rufus would be one of the positives.
    I am sorry I don't have a chart posted. I use Firefox exclusively and can't seem to find a way to 'translate.' Google refuses to work on my computer. I can say that his numbers have generally followed a downward, albeit slow downward, trend, usually at about 125-175 at nadir and 350-400 before shot (and after eating, if I can get him to eat). This morning he was still below 150 12 hrs after his last injection, and that has happened once or twice before. I will continue monitoring BG every few hours and give insulin when levels rise above 300.
    Am I doing everything wrong? I am really trying to do my best by this boy but is it ever a challenge! I am scheduled to go out of town at the end of the week, also, and am stressed out by the prospect of leaving his care in someone else's (capable but still) hands. Plus he's a mama's boy and I think is negatively impacted when I leave.
    I need to edit my signature to reflect new meds.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

It's difficult to make recommendations without some data to look at however your comment that Rufus' AMPS 12 hours after shot being below 150 could suggest the dose is a bit too high. You indicated the dose was raised from 1 u to 2u. We usually increase by 0.25u at time and definitely no more than 0.5u to ensure we don't skip past the ideal dose.

Does Rufus have any history of ketones? Are you testing for ketones? You can get Ketostix from the local pharmacy or Walmart to test. Some folks are able to hold a designated spoon under kitty's butt when peeing while others put plastic wrap in the LB where kitty tends to pee to catch a little urine for testing. If you aren't testing, I would suggest you do so given the appetite issues Rufus is experiencing.

Has your vet run a test for pancreatitis? There is a snap test they can run quickly in the office. Pancreatitis is unfortunately, another condition that seems more prevalent in our diabetics.

Chances are good that Rufus is feeling off simply due the roller coaster BG numbers ranging from 300 and down to low to mid 100's.

What error are you getting when trying to access Google? Do you have an account set up? We have folks here who can set up the spreadsheet for you and I don't think the use of Firefox browser should be a problem. Please let us know if you would like some assistance to try to get the Spreadsheet sorted out for you.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  3. injuredrabbit

injuredrabbit Member

I would absolutely love some help on how to set up the spreadsheet. I did increase his insulin in increments of .25 units and this was at the recommendation of the vet. 4 hours later from the 128 reading, he is up to 290. When he was at the vet just a few days ago he had blood work done and there were no ketones in his urine either. I wonder about pancreatitis, so there is a test that does not involve a $550 abdominal ultrasound?
    Anyway, I do have Gmail. Maybe there is a way I could do it from there? Don't mean to sound like an idiot.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

If you have Gmail, then Google is not the problem. Let me tag someone to help you out with the spreadsheet.

@Chris & China can you help Laurie get a spreadsheet up for Rufus please.

5. Hogan

Hogan Member

I have a dry kibble addict as well. When we started on Lantus, he did not want to eat very much at all the first week or two, I think he was a bit nauseous. What worked for me was to put two bowls out with small amounts of Dr. Elsey's dry and YAZM dry, so he could alternate between them as the mood hit him. His diet is probably 75% Dr. Elsey's, 15% YAZM, and 10% frozen (Primal) or freeze dried (Stella & Cheweys) raw turkey. When I felt like he was not getting enough calories, I would supplement with cooked shrimp or chicken. I haven't had any digestive issues with the Young Again Zero Mature, but he only eats it about 15% of the time. Both dry foods are very high-calorie, so if he likes the YA, maybe give him a tiny amount to keep his caloric intake up, but minimize the digestive issues?

If you set up a spreadsheet, you will get invaluable advice on this site.

injuredrabbit likes this.
  6. MrWorfMen's Mom

Looks like Chris hasn't been on the board lately. Let's see if Marje is available.
    @Marje and Gracie
    Can you please help Laurie (injuredrabbit) get a spreadsheet up for Rufus? Thx.

7. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

If you will send me a private message, I can help you. Click on “Marje and Gracie” to the left and then “start a conversation”. Thank you!

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.