? Please help with giving fluids

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by portana, Aug 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. portana

portana Member

Simba was supposed to get his first Pasireotide jab today for his acromegaly at the RVC but he wasn't very well so it couldn't be done.
    This morning when I got up I found out he had vomited and although he was drinking water as normal, he didn't want food so giving his history with ketoacidosis I panicked and called the lady looking after him there who then observed him in the afternoon. He was a bit dehydrated and a blood test found ketones but no ketoacidosis so it might have been the beginning of it. She recommended that he was hospitalised but we couldn't afford it so she kindly gave him some fluids subcutaneously and gave me the materials needed for me to do it at home tomorrow and the next day. I have a bag of saline water and a long drip to attach to it. She explained everything to me, of course but it would really help to see a video. Does anyone know of a video that will show how to do it properly? Many Thanks

2. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Portana
    I found this on YouTube.

I've never given sub q fluids or had to so I'm not familiar with the steps. Check the video out and if it jives with what your vet said you can use it as a guide. I would also wait for others to chime in who have actually done this before. I watched a portion and it seemed to make sense to me. Hope it helps. Good luck and I hope Simba feels better soon :bighug:

3. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Here's a post and video Marje and Gracie, one of our members, put together to help others:
    How to Give Subcutaneous Fluids (Video).

Some people like to put kitty up on a counter for better control when administering fluids. When learning, I found it easier to use the bathroom because I could shut the bathroom door to keep kitty confined in a smaller area. I sat on the floor with kitty and used the shower curtain bar to hang the bag of fluids. Hang the bag on a hanger and the hang the hanger on the bar. Sometimes kitty will walk away and the needle will come out spraying fluids all over! Just another reason to use the bathroom or kitchen until you're comfortable with what you're doing. Don't get discouraged if everything doesn't go quite as planned the first couple of times. Nobody does it perfectly the first time. The more you do it, the better you'll get at it! :)

4. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I sit on the floor with my boys and have the fluid bag hanging on the curtain bar by the patio and 1 in my bedroom so I can give them in bed if they are upstairs. Like Jill said the more you do it the easier it is and you will be a pro in no time :)
    I like the patio because they can look outside and in bed they are usually sleepy (unless it is 3am play time)
    :bighug:

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

This is my favorite how to give sub q's video. We did it for over a year with my Zimmy.

TempestsMum likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.