Please help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by redchief, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redchief

redchief New Member

I hope someone can help................. Missy is on 4 units of Lantus. I had blood work done and sent it off to a Holistic Vet. The Vet precribed subliments for her Thyroid and two for her pancreas. Now she is getting diarea outside the litter box. The vet said to stop the suppliments for a few days and give her a chance to recoup. I also changed her food from scicence diet hairball adult to Wellness Core. She looks much better. I see a little blood in her stool any advise ....

Missy and Rob

Private message

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

what are the supplements you are giving her? is she eating only dry food? or does she get wet too?

what were her test results, if she has thryoid or pancreas issues, it may need more than supplements to treat it. I'm all for alternative treatments, but sometimes a good old fashioned vet is needed.

It's hard to offer advice without knowing more information, please provide more details so we may be assist you.

3. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Did the holistic vet run bloodwork to determine there was a thyroid problem or was a supplement given simply to increase or decrease metabolism in the hopes that it would effect the blood sugar?

If stopping the supplements to give her body time to recoup works, do you think you'll start them again?

I think the best holistic approach is diet and insulin. Insulin is a natural hormone, every body, human or furry needs it.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

if you can get it the frozen raw rabbit is really good for her. it's by nature's variety. sold in special pet food stores. if you told me where you live i could probably find out where you could get it.
    i'm concerned about blood in the stool. i think if that continues an md. vet might need to look at her...or it (eh hem,,,) sample.

5. redchief

redchief New Member

To answer all question my reg vet ran the blood work. I sent it to the holistic vet. Most of her numbers were normal except a few that were not way out of the box. The holistic vet uses the numbers and says normal is not optiman and makes a recipe just for her. He spoke to my regular vet and they work together. She is on Thyroid Thymus drops, BHI pancreas and Pan Chelate diatary suppliment and its GFI Chromimum, zinc and pancreeas concentrate.

the missing the box has stopped. I don't see and blood anymore and i really think it was cause i changed her food from hill science diet hair ball controlto wellness core all dry . No matter what i do she won't eat can The vet said to boil some chop meat and rice for her and she won't even look at it. The wet is impossible. She's on 4 units of lantus and still eats and drinks like you can't believe with no weight gain. She still urinates like a race horse. Have to change litter once a day. Where i used to just scoop. Numbers really don't change she's BG about mid 300's . But she look not bad. still a happy little girl. But i can tell she's not right. The suppliments give her strength and the hocks get better on them. I really think she has a problem with something else we just can't find. She should be controled on the lantus and is not.

I'm in NYC and the rabit I don't think will do me any good cause she probably won't eat it. I tried everything fancy feast,, wellness cooking for her and I just tried a new one i saw at my pet store Health extension turkey and chicken all natural no bi produckts cat food she smelt it and walked away.

Thanks guys foor all your help

Missy and Rob

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

missy, this might already be in that link sue sent to you but you can try this. a number of the low carb canned have gravy (mind you the word gravy on the label always means high carb) but if you pour just the gravy out on a dish most cats will lick this up. the 2 or 3 i know of is turkey and giblets (fancy feast) chunky chicken feast, and tuna and shrimp feast.
    if your cat likes the gravey you can practically create gravy by adding a little food, water, and mi until it becomes gravy...gradually, see what I mean? if you can do this, it could make all the difference.

could'nt help giggle when you said 'she smelled it and walked away' omg, cats are sooo finicky. tell him other cats in the world are starving and to eat his whole plate!

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

don't give up getting him to eat the wet food. I struggled with all my cats to get them to eat it. I had to spoon feed Maui for weeks to make her eat it and finally one day she took a lick on her own and has been eating it ever since.

With my other two, they ate some wet, but preferred the dry and would literally hold out and starve than eat the wet. I tried all Dr. Lisa's tricks, counting kibbles, mixing it with wet, putting cheese on top and nothing worked.

It wasn't until I left the dry out and Maui got into it that I made the decision that they were going cold turkey and would eat wet or nothing. It didn't take long and now more than a year later - everyone eats wet food and I'm even making homemade raw.

It can be done, it takes patience, determination and will power. If I can convert my girls, then any cat can be converted and learn to eat wet food.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh god hillary, it takes the tough love sometimes...to wean them off the crack. but what's a good mama to do. you gotta get your kits off crack. it you don't do it...who will?
    a life on crack is a life doomed to failure, possible loss of everything, hospitalization, institutions, maybe even jail. start the 12 step program today. and do not expect your kit to love you for it, but one day, once you've saved their lives, maybe, just maybe, they'll thank you.

oh hillary----how do you shoot in the meantime? i mean if they go on a hunger strike for a day or 2.

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Lisa Pierson, DVM is a vet that sometimes posts here. She has a wonderful website devoted to feline nutrition. She has a section describing how to transition a cat from dry food to canned. Hopefully, a slow transition will help.

11. Anyname

Anyname Member

I changed my cat to fresh raw meat on discovering he had diabetes. (he was on 4 units of Lantus but is slowly needing less). It might seem pricy but it's cost effective in light of how expensive vet bills are. We feed free range chicken (you could try a little raw organic chicken) and I buy rump steak and also discovered kangaroo meat since dx with diabetes - if you live in the US deer meat maybe available raw? Cats are carnivores - their digestive tracts are not designed to digest carbohydrates like rice. Also they generally like raw meat if you buy good quality. It might be the answer to get your cat lack of appetite. Once yr kitty starts to feel a bit better you can refine his diet to what suits your budget. A lot of people have a mental block about feeding cats raw meat but cats evolved to where they are today by eating what they could catch and eat. We didn't start putting food into tins for our cats until 50 yrs ago - about the same time as cats started getting diabetes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.