? Please I need advise, I am torn

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Phoebes (GA), Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Help please. I am so torn. I talked to the vet today. She wants me to go back to 4 units. She said sometimes with cats you can give them too much and it will just stall. She wants me to go back to the 4 units to see what it will do. She said she could be feeling bad because of the higher numbers. She agreed to give her Adequan, anyone know some place cheap??? She does not want to give her the budesonide because of the steroid aspect. I love this vet, she has always done right by Phoebe and my other cat for 14 years. I respect her and I respect you guys as well. She knows I am using the human meter so she knows the numbers on her ss are higher than they say currently. She said she might be an acro cat, and she did say at the beginning phoebe could be insulin resistant. But she does not feel comfortable at the moment with the insulin amount. We have suspected meglacolon? (Sp) she saw the thickening of the intestines. I do not know what to do. On her ss she did hit blues on the 4 units. I know I hold the syringe, but I would love your input. Thank you

2. Phoebes (GA)

3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Angela,I do not understand why the vet would want to lower the dose when clearly Phoebe is not in good numbers . It does not make sense to me. I hope that other weigh in about this .

From the video you posted earlier, she could be having some arthritis issues. I would look into Wendy's suggestion for treatment . I have not had any experience with arthritis and cats so, I can't advice on that subject .

Try to get some middle of the PM cycle tests on her to see how low she is going . That could help with dosing. She could be going lower at night and bouncing. I use to set my alarm. My alarm is still set to feed Bubba @ +8-9. I have a auto feeder but I want to make sure that Bubba only gets his and not his and Forrest's. :rolleyes:

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree....your vet isn't making any sense.....there's absolutely no signs of her being overdosed that I can see either

Your vet said she may be insulin resistant but now says she's getting too much? That's just crazy.

You've increased slowly and methodically according to the latest protocol and her numbers say she's not getting enough yet.

Yes, too much insulin can look like too little, but those are cases where they've started out at too high a dose and the cat is continually bouncing....I see no signs of that with Phoebe

Tuxedo Mom and Phoebes (GA) like this.
  5. Phoebes (GA)

I am getting a feeder. She don't have competition. :) she is going to prescribe the adequan for the arthritis. Just gotta find the cheapest place. I will get more pms this weekend. Can't do thru the week. I have sleep disorder and take too many sleep medications to get up and safely poke her ear. But will do that tomorrow night.

6. Phoebes (GA)

I am so torn. I gave her 4 units per vet, because shot time came and went. Did not want to miss her shot time. Does anything stand to reason that she did have some blues on 4 and 4.5? It's the only dosage she had a drop. Other than that she has been pretty flat.

7. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

I can really understand your thought process on nighttime doses. I was just diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and now have to start using a CPAP machine and the doctor has explained to me that I need to get as much uninterrupted sleep at night as possible. I am going crazy with my thought processes on how I can manage to get numbers at night and still improve my sleep. Many good vibes yours and Phoebe's way.

8. Phoebes (GA)

Thank you Cathie, I don't mind missing some sleep on weekends but have to get up to take hubby to work on week day mornings. Good luck with your cpap, it has made a huge difference for me. :)

9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

No...even those few blues were still too high....heck, if you consider the 20% meter variance, even those blues could have been yellow

10. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I totally agree with what the others have said. You have done a slow safe gradual increase in the dosing and have gotten good data throughout the day which do not show any huge drops. If your kitty is possibly insulin resistant or acro then decreasing the dose will not help.

11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried a different insulin? Maybe switching to ProZinc would have a different effect.

12. Phoebes (GA)

If I follow my vets advise do I no longer get help here?

13. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I do not think that will happen :bighug:

14. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

If you follow your vets advice you can always come here for help at any time. Sometimes people will follow their vets advice and when they see that there are no improvements they seek a better way to treat their kitties. All the advice on here comes from published studies on Lantus and from personal experiences of many many members.

The only thing you might do is to ask your vet why they think the dose needs to be dropped when you have lots of data that shows there has not been any serious rebounds or bounces.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.