Please light a candle

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SarahFL, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SarahFL

SarahFL Member

Three weeks after beating diabetes, my Sarah died of a blood clot due to lymphoma. Sarah had been to hell and back over the last 8 months: an autoimmune disease attacked her paw pads, the treatment caused diabetes, techs at the (now-ex) vet administered shots incorrectly and caused large ulcers on her neck, the ex-vet failed to diagnose a MRSA infection, and then she ended up in a hypoglycemic crisis at the e-vet when her pancreas rebounded. All told, she spent about 2 months in the hospital and several more weeks confined to a crate. Over the past month, everything started clearing up--her paws got better, she no longer needed insulin, and her bloodwork normalized. Then, this past weekend, her liver failed. She was admitted to the hospital and an ultrasound suggested either lymphoma or massive inflammation in her abdomen. They started her on nutritional support, but found her cold and curled up this morning. She was 10, and when I visited her in the hospital last night, she wrapped her paws around my neck and purred. Then I left her there. The universe is brutally unfair.

2. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

OMG You both went thru so much. I am so very sorry for your loss. wings_cat

Sending lots of cyber hugs. Sarah is flying free now, whole and healthy over the Rainbow Bridge. rb_icon

Tears falling here. You are a great mommabean and did everything you could for her.
    Candle is lit

3. Sunshine and BA

Sunshine and BA Member

So sorry for all that Sarah and you have gone through. May be pages of memories bring soothing healing from this day forward. Be kind do yourself as you travel the road of grief.

Sunshine and B.A.

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. May you in time find peace in knowing you did all you could for Sarah.

Fly free, dear sweet Sarah wings_cat

5. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry. My deepest condolences and prayers for peace. You both surely fought a brave fight. She is restored in the peace of God now. May he bring you comfort.

6. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

So sad, so young.......my deepest sympathy. You did everything you could for Sarah. Hard enough to lose them but having the vet call and tell you that your beloved pet passed away in a cage during the night just adds more heartache. I, like others, have had that call and you'd give anything to be able to go back just one day and be there to hold them as they left. It is heartwrenching to know that your beloved pet died alone and my heart goes out to you. Sarah knew and she wrapped you in love and purred her goodbye. May all your memories of Sarah help you through the "moments" and always remember....Sarah knew you loved her.
    [​IMG]

7. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you heal. Take comfort in your last moments with Sarah and know that she is at peace.

8. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Your beloved Sarah, who bravely went through so much, loved you and is now at rest. She knew that you did your very best for her. May your memories of her be a consolation to you in your time of grief. We are so sorry for your loss.

Ella & Stu

9. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Oh I am so terribly sorry!

The one consolation that you need to hold onto is that Sarah knew that you loved her and did everything out of love for her. That your vets failed her at times along the way is in no way a reflection of the good job that you did!

Hugs

Jen

10. Lucy and Oscar(GA)

Lucy and Oscar(GA) Member

I'm so very very sorry to hear of your loss.

Sarah fought hard, but her body just gave out. But, she is now healthy and whole again and enjoying her time at the Bridge.

There will be a candle burning at my house tonight for your sweet Sarah.

Until you both meet again . . .

Fly free precious Sarah(GA)

11. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Tears for Sarah, and for you. I am so sorry :cry:

12. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

My heart goes out to you and Sarah. It helps to know she is whole, healthy and happy in a better place.

13. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Tears falling for you here as well. Many prayers and cyber hugs are being sent your way! I know it is a horrible thing to go through, but Sarah is probably chasing birds up there right now wings_cat

14. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I am so very very sorry. I know how hard it is to leave them and not see them again. It haunts me still with my Grant, but I know he loved me and knew I loved him as does your little Sarah. My heart goes out to you, but her pain is no longer. (((((((hugs)))))))

15. SarahFL

SarahFL Member

Thanks for all the responses ... it helps. The part that haunts me is that she died alone at the vet, instead of at home. She was so scared when she was away from home. If I had known, I could have brought her home where she felt safe.

16. Lucy and Oscar(GA)

Lucy and Oscar(GA) Member

I know what you mean about wishing you had known. But don't beat yourself up over this. Our babies know they are loved and sometimes they choose when to go to the Bridge because they know their passing will be hard for us to witness.

Sarah said her goodbyes the night before, when she wrapped her paws around your neck and purred. She knew.

So please, don't feel bad about not being there. Your love was in her heart and always will be, just as she has left her love in yours.

Along with the sadness, remember the joy and love you both shared. Sarah's passing was just a small part of her whole life with you. Your love was strong, real, and special. That part. the love, will last forever.

17. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

I'm so so sorry. Please, don't feel bad about leaving her. Cats often withdraw themselves when they "know" the end in near. She probably felt it was quite natural and said her goodbyes to you. I know you loved her and will probably relive 100,000 should-haves. But the reality is, you did so much for her. She knew she was loved.
    [​IMG]

18. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry for you loss, wow what an ordeal you went through! I am new to the board and worry about my baby so much! Bless you!!!!!

19. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

May your best memories of Sarah comfort you...

...'til you meet again.

20. Terri & Tananda

Terri & Tananda Member

Rhttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/image: Please light a ca

I'm so sorry to hear that, but it sounds like both of you put up a brave fight.
    My heart goes out to you.images/icons/misc/rainbow.png

Terri

21. SarahFL

SarahFL Member

Crap. Missing her really, really hurts.

22. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

You are right, the universe is unfair. My Bob also passed away alone in a cage at the vet's office. But you know what, we love our babies and do what seems right at the time. Hindsight is 20/20. Please do not beat yourself up. Sarah knew that you loved her, and she loved you too. I do believe that people and animals know when the end is near. Sarah said her good-bye to you the last time that you saw her. She is at peace now and even though it hurts, please try to take comfort in that.

23. Tina and Regis (GA)

Tina and Regis (GA) Member

I am so sorry. Fly Free Sarah. She wrapped her paws around you and purred. That's what she wants you to remember the love. The love you both shared will never go away.

Her spirit is with you. Yes, it really is awful without them. They have touched our hearts in ways people can never do. We were blessed. That makes their loss so much more painful.

Sending hugs of comfort,

Tina, Regis, in spirit, and Persia

24. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

So sad for Sarah! hugs to you both in spirit.

25. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

I am so sorry for your loss of Sarah.

~M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.