? PLEASE..need advice ASAP

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sherrib, Dec 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

My ipad died, and my spreadsheet is on it. can someone please make me another or help me get into the one I have? (SS is not updated, been using pen & paper since my ipad died months ago)

Skittles's BG numbers are BAD this week, he was going almost 2 days at a time from mid Nov until 6 days ago before without needing anything. I think he was bouncing because he had high numbers, so I lowered his insulin and he was doing so so good! I don't know if Friskers or fancy feast have changed the pate or what. I do know that if I give him anything besides seafood his numbers go up. He must be very carb sensitive

last night PSPM was 486 and his AMPS was 451 giving 1.5 units

last week he would be to low somedays to get anything. and then when he did need insulin he would only be going 200 or 210

here are some of his #'s

12/12 he went 24 hr w/o needing insulin after getting 1 U

12/13 AMPS 232 1.5 U
    PMPS 192 1.5 U

12/14 AMPS 243 1.5 U
    PMPM 94 0 U
    -2 159 0 U
    -4 140 0 U let him eat
    -6 203 1 U
    12/15 AMPS 210 1 U STARTED MED FOR TOOTH INFECTION ( SEE BELLOW NOTE)
    PMPS 210 1 U
    12/16 AMPS 254 1 U
    PMPS 254 1 U
    12/17 AMPS 321 1.5 U
    PMPS 268 1.5 U
    12/18 AMPS 277 1.5 U
    PMPS 386 1.5 U
    12/19 AMPM 411 1.5 U
    PMPS 251 1.5 U
    12/20 AMPS 238 1.5 U
    PMPS 270 1.5 U
    12/21 AMPS 327 1.5 U
    PMPS 489 1.5 U
    12/22 AMPS 451 1.5 U
    +4 269
    PMPS 307. 1.5 U

Skittles is on pulse therapy for his tooth infection because his vet feels that's the best for him. pulse therapy means he is on meds for 5 days of the month to keep his infection away. I had to move AGAIN ( 3 times in 3 years ) since I have injured my back and cant work. I am in the middle of fighting for disability w my lawyer. BUT I have a job interview next week but am only allowed to work part time, also moved in my parents to save money. Will be looking for a new vet now, but I did price a dental at a local vet and its over $700.00. I have to safe up to get it done unless I get the job next week .

I think he could be #1. bouncing OR maybe his BG went up due to his meds?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Your spreadsheet is saved on Google Drive.....if you go there, you should be able to access it

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You can access it from any device.

4. sherrib

I just tested his urine.... he has trace amount. what do I do??

5. sherrib

due for insulin at in 4 hours

6. Chris & China (GA)

Do you add water to his food? Getting as much water into him as possible will help flush the ketones out.

7. sherrib

I haven't added it in a few days. I got him a water fountain 2 weeks ago and he drinks more.

8. sherrib

do I need to rush him in? if so,text me now plz [Phone number removed by moderator for your privacy.]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2018
    Reason for edit: self-explanatory
  9. Chris & China (GA)

Trace ketones can usually be handled at home, but you do want to keep a close eye on him.

Syringing extra water can only help

Anything over "trace", he needs to be seen by a vet

10. sherrib

Thank you so so much! My children are here from out of town and we are having our Christmas tonight, that's why I asked you to call me if I needed to rush him in ( since I needed to step away from my laptop & wouldn't see your comment right away )

11. Chris & China (GA)

I'd remove your phone number....this board can be accessed by anybody and it's not safe to post your phone number.

Make sure you're looking at the ketone strip in a good light and exactly on time (usually 15 seconds if I remember right)…..if you go longer than they recommend, it continues to darken....and if you're not in a good bright light, the colors can look different too

12. sherrib

Thank you for removing my number, but it’s okay if anyone gets its, my number is listed online because I’m the only wildlife Rehabber around here. All the vets, SPCA , even a few zoos have & give out my number

Anyone have any advice/ideas about Skittles BG #’s I posted above? I’m so puzzled over why he was doing so good for weeks to suddenly having such bad numbers now.
    And how anything besides Seafood seems to raise his BG. I feel so uncomfortable w feeding only seafood , giving him liver w chick pate or liver w beef pate as recommended also will drive up his BG.
    I constantly second guess myself whenever it comes to my baby’s health, but don’t do with my patients or other peoples animals. :( I wish I wasn’t like that, but I am. Plus I love to learn and I learn something new almost everyday reading the forums here :)

13. Chris & China (GA)

Can you update your spreadsheet? It will help.

Also, I don't see any mid-cycle tests.....it's important to get at least 1 on the AM cycle (if you can) and at least a "before bed" test on the PM cycle.

We need to know how low the dose is taking him and the only way to know that is to get some more tests in.

What antibiotic is he on for the tooth infection? A lot of vets don't think about the inert ingredients and some of them contain sugar.

14. sherrib

I’m doing a mini curve today, just did his +2 and he was 360! His AMPS was 267

15. sherrib

I keep catching him chewing on our fake Christmas tree that has fake snow made on the branches. Mine insulin bottle is still half full

16. sherrib

Also gave him chick w liver w his AM dose

17. sherrib

Oh... forgot , I’m going to update his SS but I’m the meantime I already posted some of his numbers above in my 1st post

18. Chris & China (GA)

Who knows what's in that stuff? Might see if you can keep him from getting at it (easier said than done, I understand!)

How old is the insulin?

Yes, I know...but there aren't any mid-cycle tests so it doesn't give us anything to go on.

What antibiotic is he on?

19. sherrib

Insulin is only a couple months old.Once Back in 2015 I had a bottle for 1.5 yrs sitting in my fridge what still work perfect. Back then I had just purchased a new bottle, then he went into to remission.
    He hasn't had any meds for his pulse therapy since 12/19. But I will grab the name and post it.I will try and update his SS as soon as I can. Until then, anyone looking plz see my 1st post

So far today
    AMPS- 267 ( 2:00 PM) 1.5 U
    +2. 367 ( 4:00 PM)
    +6. 267 (8:00 PM)
    +8. 217 (12:00 AM)
    PMPS. 386 ( upped to 2 U)

12/24
    AMPS 412 ( 2 U )

His PMPS is due in 2 hours which will be 2:00 AM

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  20. Chris & China (GA)

I'm not sure I agree with your vet's "pulse therapy"....usually a dental infection is hard enough to treat without going "on and off" the antibiotic.

I think you could go up to 1.75 or 2U if he goes up by PMPS time

21. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I suggest you post dosing questions on the ProZinc forum. And, if you could please update your spreadsheet, it would be very helpful. Listing a bunch of times and numbers in a post is not at all the same. You will get a lot more help if you get the spreadsheet updated.

Mid-cycle tests are really important for knowing what impact the dose is having. Pre-shot tests alone just do not provide the needed info. I don't see the rest of your curve results, but if 217 is the lowest you got, it looks like a dose increase is probably in order.

Dental problems can definitely raise glucose levels. This 'pulse therapy' sounds wacky to me. If there is an infection, it should be treated to clear it up. Either he is not getting the right kind of antibiotic or enough antibiotic to clear it up fully or there is something that continues to get repeatedly infected. Either way, this would be very concerning to me. I saw that you do not have the money for dental work right now and have to save it up. Would something like Care Credit be an option for you? Or, are there any organizations in your area that will help with something like this? Dental problems can be painful, they impact overall health, and they can become very serious. I understand that if you can't pay for it, you can't pay for it, but maybe there are other options to help you get it done sooner.

22. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

Pulse therapy is actually pretty common. Some infections are hard to get rid of, if at all. It's rare, but sometimes they need to be put on antibiotics for an extended length of time, or in some cases, it becomes part of their life. The reasoning behind pulse therapy is that they don't want to create antibiotic resistance, especially in a cat who is antibiotic dependent. You see this in the medical field for people, too.

23. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Apparently, it's effectiveness is questionable. When I tried to find info about using it in the context of feline dental treatment, everything I found indicated that it was not a great option, especially when being used in lieu of addressing the root cause.

One excerpt:
    "Theoretically, the repeated short-term treatment helps keep periodontal pathogens under control while avoiding the development of resistance. In fact, there is no published
    research to demonstrate any measurable benefit or to confirm the safety of this protocol. It is now widely felt to be inappropriate.

If a patient has had proper (and thorough) periodontal treatment and is on an effective plaque control program including VOHC-accepted products and daily tooth brushing and still has chronic oral inflammation, then pulse therapy may be of some value. However, is should never be used in a “let’s see what this does” manner or as an excuse to avoid proper periodontal treatment. And really, if the animal is so intolerant of its teeth and the bacteria that reside on them, everyone is going to be happier if the animal has whole-mouth extraction to put a final and definite end to the problem."

24. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

The author's issue seems to be with the conservative approach to antibiotic resistant periodontal disease. And while I agree that treating symptoms rather than addressing the root cause is futile, every situation is different. Removing all the teeth does not guarantee a "definite end" to some periodontal issues, because the teeth are not always the root cause. When this is suspected, they may choose to minimize trauma by removing teeth in the affected area and trying pulse therapy first. We consented to a whole mouth extraction from the beginning, so it wasn't an attempt to avoid proper dental care, either. A big concern for us is that a whole mouth extraction runs the risk of the cat's jaw breaking, which leads to extended recovery times and it is incredibly hard on the animal. Of course, this is just my opinion and I am not a vet, but we have been through this twice and taking a more conservative approach in both cases made sense. In one case, kitty was not ever healthy enough to be neutered, much less have extractions. In the other, we had about half of the teeth removed and 2-3 months later the infection returned. We had all but two of his teeth removed, which would have required a dental surgeon, continued pulse therapy for a few months and we haven't had any issues since.

Of course, my situation could be entirely different than this one, so I am not giving advice about treatment. I am just providing the story as a point of perspective. I am open to reading published research to the contrary, but at the time we had to make the decision, the partial extraction + pulse therapy made sense to me and was something I was comfortable with. For good measure, however, I am not advocating pulse therapy over proper dental care. I am just saying I see where it may be indicated under certain circumstances.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  25. sherrib

update...… rushed him to vet this AM ,he has FUS from stress ( idiopathic cystitis) pretty sure that's why his BG #'s have been running higher

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.