PLEASE VOTE - help me rename the Sweet Foster Cat (& update)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by stefani&toonces, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stefani&toonces

stefani&toonces Member

Hello friends! Sorry for the silence. I have taken your name suggestions for my foster cat and put them in a survey. The link to the survey is below, but I ask that before you vote, please watch the new videos of him to get a better read on his purrsonality. A health update is at bottom.

Video #1: Warning! Turn down volume if you do not want to hear REALLY load purring -- He's comfortable enough now to try to eat the camera -- or make love to it, I'm not sure which!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM4VS7If6NE

Video #2: Longer, more attempts to eat camera an general cute scent marking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBRf5xN178g

Here is the name survey, please vote: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KD6YNQ8

Update: We went to the shelter vet. He will be needing a dental (abcessed tooth) and I will do a course of clindamycin. He will also need a full blood panel. The vet seems to be concerned that he's been subjected to over-vaccination. He looks generally good and other than the abscess and some gingivitis, he has no tartar and his teeth look good. He needs EFA's for his coat.

He was still on 1.5u lantus bid till tonight when he threw me a low preshot (219) and I did not feel comfortable shooting a full dose. I may regret it but as his curves have not been consistent (some 300s, some with lows of 50s) I don't want to risk it.

He's much more comfortable here now, lots of personality showing as you can see on the vids. Sweet, a bit quirky. He will tease you showing you his belly but don't dare fall for it or you might get a warning. Otherwise he's a big lovebug. Lots of loud purring and rubbing. Loves to be brushed. Loves to watch the birdes. I found a food he likes -- Nature's Variety chicken. He's eating more now. 12.5 pounds.

I think that cats never forget traumas, though. He completely freaks out in the carrier in the car. When I took him to the vets, he was clearly afraid for his life. Defecated and when I cleaned that up, had diarrhea. Cried a lot Panting. I think bad things have happened to him when he's been put in the carrier and driven some where, most recently of course, his abandoment by his "owners" of 10 years. Overall though he is coming out of his shell now.

I feel that he's healthy enough to be adopted provided his bloodwork comes back good and we get his dental done.

Can't wait to see what name you guys vote for!

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Stef, you're right about not forgetting about traumas. Tucker cannot be caged or crated, we use a harness. The few times he's got to stay at the vet's office they put him in the larger dog cage and if not on IV, the techs let him out to walk around. When we get home from a stay at the clinic he paces, meows and knocks at the doors for hours.

The police report from when he was found stated that he was put in a cardboard box, duct taped shut with an unopened bag of dry food. He was left behing a grocery store, thankfully someone looked in the box.

After the bloodwork, will he be getting the dental? I wonder how that will affect his BGs. Hopefully in a good way.

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I think I am in love. He is such a combo of Max and Ennis. I need you to fill out an info sheet on him so I can write him up on the DCIN Blog. I will email you a link.

I voted for Martin Blacktop. It has a nice sound to it.

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I did a Martin something, I think it was Peepers. My short term memory is not so good!! I was VERY tempted to vote for Tucker, but since I just learned another kitty was recently named Tucker, that's enough for me :D

5. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

he looks just like my spanky. little black teardrops in corner of eyes and all

6. stefani&toonces

stefani&toonces Member

OMG Dian, he totally does!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.