pmps= 312..... 1 unit??

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by sugarsquishy, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

getting ready for pm injection. pmps 312.. his morning unit was 1. is 1 u. ok for this ps

2. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

My Blue's PMPS about 30 minutes ago was 315 and I did 1u. How was this morning?

3. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

well this morning we had to go to the vet, and the vet did a spot check it was 406

4. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

then around 2 it was 296

5. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

ok just gave squishy him pm shot. 1u. also had a can of ff wet cat food. a little nervous cause his pmps was 312, but thinking everything will be ok. will just have to keep a close eye on him tonight.

6. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

Last night was my first home test and decision about insulin. Blue was at 235- and I know we don't shot below 200- so 1u made me nervous. So I gave him .5u and at +5 we were at 243 and then at the AMPS today he was at 342, so I know that .5u wasn't enough. I think with a number in the 300's it is okay to give a full unit, that is what I would have done and in fact that is what I need. Like I said earlier, Blue was 315 and I have a whole unit. I knew he could do it because of last night. Have you started a spreadsheet? I am only on day too but it is actually really helpful. If you are nervous about the dose, like I was last night, then test him between +5-+8 to see where he is at, that will be your best indicator that you gave the right dose. I am totally new to this as well, but that is where I am and I hope that it helps.

7. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

no i have not started a spread sheet. i am still trying to figure it out. i am going to have my husband look at it and maybe he can do it. i am not really good at things like that. but yeah i feel pretty comfortable about the 1u. this is the first time i have had a ps below 350. so hopefully one unit will work and we will be on the right track.

8. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

On the main page of the board, if you go under tech support there is a really simple walk through on how to create a spread sheet. Starting that would be the best thing you can do for you and your decision making, as well as help the board with giving you advice. You should definitely start one tonight.

Here is the link on how to build a spreadsheet

Good luck!

9. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

although hypo is always a risk, I wouldn't worry about it much at these levels of insulin and #s that are no where close to low

although it's usually recommended to start with a no-shoot of 200, the idea is to collect data as you give shots at PSs around that level, and once you are comfortable with what a dose does at 200, you lower your no-shoot to 180, collect more data, and then lower it to 150

in my experience the difference needed in dose between lower PSs and higher ones is slight, although ECID - with Bix I was really nervous about low PSs and so did the dose lowering thing when I'd get a lower PS, then his #s would go higher so next time I'd try a dose a little closer to my regular dose, #s would go high again, repeat, repeat, til finally I ended up just shooting his normal dose on the lower PSs and that turned out to be what he needed - no dose change really between the higher PSs and lower ones.

But ECID, and it's good to shoot what you are comfortable with and gather data to be sure you are shooting something safe. If nothing else, it will help you sleep at night vs. shooting the full unit on a 150 and then feeling compelled to stay up and test every hour til you are past nadir. ;-)

So anyhow, the no-shoot of 200 is designed to give you a buffer zone til you have more data, rather than being a number where you are at much risk of increased hypo giving a full dose at that level. If either of you were on doses like 5u it might all be a little more worrisome, but I think hypo is fairly unlikely on 1u with any PS above 150, with a cat that clearly needs insulin. But still good to collect data and know what you are dealing with. :)

A spot check at bedtime if you are at all worried is always a good idea - if you are ever seeing #s around 100 and it's only something like +2 hours since the shot (and that's not the # you were expecting that early in the cycle), then you might want to offer food and stay up and test every 1/2 hour or hour to be sure things aren't headed too low. If you see a number like that at more like +4 it's probably a "YAY!" moment.

10. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy Member

Hi SS

That higher vet # is likely the result of glucose being dumped into the blood in response to vet visit stress. Since my new vet is OK with home testing and I know Duke stresses out at the mere mention of the V word, I asked her to not even bother with a BG test when I brought him in for a follow up visit. I just showed her my numbers. This was only my second visit with this vet practice and she was fine with it. Even though the money saved was a secondary concern, it was nice.

Does anyone else ask their vet to not do a BG test during vet visits?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.