Drop to 60, SLGS, need help!!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Manu & Porto, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

Im not sure if I should keep the dose and still shoot with this drop... I have to give the shot and I dont know. Could someone help with advice?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you going to be able to test as often as necessary?

Do you have plenty of supplies? (Test strips, high carb food, Karo/honey/syrup)

3. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

Not able to test as Id like, but the next three hours yes. And then I could stay for more, yes.
    I have syrup food and all needed. I am about to shoot 1.5 .

4. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

Did 1.5 as I couldnt wait anymore, its 30 min past shot time so there in itself is a reduction.
    Will monitor the next three hours at least. Problem is theres no vet if an emergency, Id have to go far, being a Saturday so Im relying only on the hypo kit.

5. Chris & China (GA)

Since you're shooting a lower number than you're used to, you'll want to get a +1 and +2 so IF you need to intervene, you can do it sooner rather than later.

It looks like you're changing the dose based on the Pre-shot numbers too and that's not the way Lantus works.

Lantus craves consistency and does much better if the doses are the same both AM and PM

The dose is based on how LOW it takes them, with only a little consideration for the Pre-shot number.

Every time you change the dose, it effects the depot so you're not getting a consistent amount of insulin "releasing" into his body and you end up with wonky numbers.

I'd encourage you to try staying with the same dose both AM and PM for at least 3 days and see how he does (unless he drops below 90.....since you're on SLGS, that's the point you would reduce the dose)

2U dropped him below 90, so I'd try the 1.5U dose and hold it for the next 6 cycles (at least)

We usually do reductions/increases in .25 unit increments, but since you've shot the 1.5, let's just hold it there and see how he does

Manu & Porto likes this.
  6. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

Thank you, I stick to this dose.
    I know about the small incrementes and sticking with the dose, but I got scared not being able to monitor after 4 hours. Im going to work in 4 hours. I hope no vomit appears, loose stools, usualy drops mean this.
    I didnt want to risk it but tomorrow is my last day at work, I am actually giving up work to be able to be with him all times, stick with the dose and test.

Thank you again!

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

It is probably past Chris's bedtime so I'll be around if you need help. It would be helpful if you could post all the BSLs you take such as +1 +2 etc. thanks,

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok well lets see how he goes over the next 4 hours. You might have to leave some food out for him while you are away.
    We can decide that later though.

Manu & Porto likes this.
  9. Chris & China (GA)

I have to get some sleep so I've asked another experienced member to watch out for your test numbers so you're not alone in case you run into trouble.

She's in Australia so she's a little more on your time

@Bron and Sheba …..I see you're here!! Thanks Bron!!

Manu & Porto likes this.
  10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You're welcome! More than happy.
    Hope you can get a good night's sleep

Manu & Porto likes this.
  11. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

Thank you both so much!

One hour in, he is already 138 BUT he just did a bland, early poo and that could lower it a bit. I feed 8 meals a day, every 3 hours so I may feed this one a bit early depending on his numbers now. Ill test in 5 min. again.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  12. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

Sleep tight! Thank you again!

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It is to be expected that the BSL would rise a bit after food. You are doing well

14. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

98. Drop because of the poo, usually the BG would be rising by now. I just fed. Should I test in half hour or give it one hour? Thank you!

15. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I'd do half and hour. How much did You feed?
    How long before you need to leave for work?

Manu & Porto likes this.
  16. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

94 @ 2h. 84 @ 2,5 h. I fed a bit more than his usual ration, this meal consisting of 15 gr of 20% carb wet food and 5 gr of 7% dry food. Should I add some high carb sauce and feed again?
    Giving that he is sensitive with his IBD to other foods/sauces/sugar I usually add Royal Canin gastrintestinal sauce so that he doesnt do diarrea right afterwards.

17. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

I should leave in 2 hours.

18. Bron and Sheba (GA)

He has earned a reduction with the 84 on the SLGS protocol.
    You don't want to feed too much too soon in case you need to feed later ....we don't want to fill him up and not have him eat later if he needs to. Maybe feed him a bit more of the wet food.
    Test again in 1/2 hour
    The problem is you need to leave in 2 hours. Is there any chance you could go into work late?
    I don't like the idea of you leaving him when he is dropping.

Manu & Porto likes this.
  19. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

I wont leave if he is dropping.
    I fed again, 1/2 of his usual ration. He loves the 20% wet so I dont think he would deny himself of eating that, even with a full tummy :)

The thing about these reductions is that he is easily influenced by the state of his poo and vomits so he earns his reductions but then, once his tummy is better and his poo is hard, the BG starts to go up up. So Im left with a small dose and high BG.
    I will test again now.
    I wonder how long before the wet food is being absorbed, normally, by them? He may have absorption issues, even if I administered famotidine last night.

Thank you for staying with us!!

20. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I am glad you will stay with him if he is low.
    Looking at his SS you shot a lower dose this time so they don't usually do back to back reductions. We can check about staying on the 1.5 units later.
    The food will probably start to be absorbed and hopefully make a difference in about 20 mins or 1/2 hour.

21. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

82 at 3 h 45 min (was 84 at 3 h). Do you think it is alright for me to start breathing a bit? He didnt drop a lot.
    He doesnt like me testing and his ears start showing some small wounds from the testing so do you think it would be ok if I test in 1 hour?

22. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok test again in one hour.
    How much have you fed since his AMPS meal?

Manu & Porto likes this.
  23. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

At this hour I should have fed one meal (12 gr of wet and 5 of dry) and by now he received double that amount. Plus some RC Gastrointestinal sauce added to last meal, lets say 0,5 ml of that. Im not sure how many carbs that sauce has.

24. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You are a good mama bean!
    I think I would give him a bit more to try and get him over 90. You are lucky he likes his food. Sheba was like that and it made it much easier when she dropped low.

25. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

Thank you!
    I dont want to cause a reaction with too much food all of a sudden, he could vomit and that would be worse. I will feed again in 10 minutes and then, 15 minutes after, check again.

Im a mess, been sleeping little over two hours last night so I appreciate so much you guiding and helping!

I took a look at Sheba´s SS and saw it ended all of a sudden... and then I read your signature. She was beautiful, I am sorry!

26. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Thank you. Yes she was beautiful.
    Ok you know your boy best. We certainly don't want him vomiting. IBD can be tricky. I had an IBD boy and I understand the problems. He wasn't a diabetic though so it was easier for me.
    I am sorry you have had so little sleep, you must feel very tired :bighug:
    I'll watch for the next BSL

Manu & Porto likes this.
  27. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

94 @ +4h (he was 82 1 hour ago). I decided to test before feeding again, just in case it went up on its own and it seems it did. It is not much but during the day his BG doesnt go too low, night time is more tricky.
    So, in this case, should I risk it and hold his food until his usual feeding time which is in 1,5 h? I will give a small treat now, some wet. He is sleeping right now, looks good.

My sister will be passing by in a couple of hours to check up on him, if not, Im a mess at work, cant do anything. She doesnt know how to test but she will send a video or two and check to see how he is.

Lots of coffee today and tonight hopefully I will get a few more hours than that. You are really nice, Bron, thank you so so much! :bighug:

28. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Not quite sure what you mean. Are you going to go to work now? Or are you waiting to feed him in 1.5 hours?
    The numbers you are getting at the moment are food influenced. One needs to withhold food for 2 hours then test to get a result that is not food influenced.....I am not suggesting you do this though at the moment.

29. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

I have to go to work, I would have stayed more if he was dropping but I feel more confident with 94, more so considering I didnt feed again.

Meanwhile, I got in touch with my bf who does know how to test and they will come by in one hour at feeding time, test then and stay all afternoon with him. My sister will also be here. So Im starting to breathe and get ready for work. Tomorrow is last day, thankfully, I will be able to focus on him 24/7.
    I dont think in one hour his levels will drop a lot, knowing him, but I will give him some wet now before leaving just to have a safety net for if they do.

Not sure if you could drop by again, my bf will pass me the test result again in one hour. I am eternally grateful to you for your help so far!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  30. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You are very lucky to have such a great bf and sister.
    It will be much more relaxing for you when you are home full time.
    Yes I will be around for about 3 more hours ( it is evening here in Oz but I am a bit of a night owl. By then the US will be waking up and will be able to help if necessary.
    I'll keep checking in to see how things are going.
    You have done super well today.......
    I am happy to help. We were all helped in our early days of FD and are happy to help other kitties now:)
    Hope you have a good day at work.
    Bron

Manu & Porto likes this.
  31. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

I am lucky to have them, indeed, thank you!
    They also know how much my boy means to me, he is priority no. 1.
    104 reading at 6+ before his meal. Aside from the small treat I gave him, there has been no food in the last two hours. Are we safe?

Now Im already worrying about the pm shot, at night he gets lower so if his BG doesnt go up enough, Im not sure if I should stick with this dose. I want to, I never want to oscilate much but Im not going to be able to monitor as close as the am... Have to wait and see. Maybe feed more throught today so that tonight he is safe?

Thank you, Bron!!! Thank you again :bighug:

32. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Sorry I was so long in answering. FDMB would not let me log on.
    He is being a good boy!
    I would get another test at +8 to see where he is. No need to feed him any more except for his usual meals and if he drops again.
    I would also get a +10 so you can see where he is heading for the PMPS and be preparing/asking about the dose if you are unsure what to do.
    Feeding him during the day will mainly affect the current cycle and might affect the PMPS but food wears off after a few hours.
    I will check in with you tomorrow and see how you went. Try not to stress. You are managing him well, especially with all his issues.

Manu & Porto likes this.
  33. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

Alright, I will ask them to test again at +9 before his next meal, let him rest until then, as they say he is stressed with all the testing.
    Will check with FDMB about next dose if he gives low numbers.
    Have a good nights rest, youve been my rock today! Lots of love and hugs your way!

34. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok good idea. Sorry he is stressed with the testing.
    Very happy to help. Really glad Porto is having a good cycle with lovely numbers.
    Porto is lucky to have you in his corner:bighug:

Manu & Porto likes this.
  35. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

His PMPS was 238 but he ate little. Hopefully in a few hours his appetite will come back.
    Following the reduction, I also did 1,5 ud.
    Thank you for all the nice words and checking on us.
    Wishing you a very nice Sunday!

36. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Sunday here in Oz for me....how are things today?

Manu & Porto likes this.
  37. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

Hello!
    Thank you for checking on us!

Last night he was high and this morninng as well but then, he pooped before the insuline shot in the am and it was an ok poo, a bit soft and a lot but nothing to worry so I left to work peaceful thinking all is good.
    My bf just test him half an hour ago and the result... 71!!! I dont even know how it was before, I told him to test again in 30 min.

I just dont understand how this can be. Thankfully today is last day of work so Ill be more around to test him.

What do you think happened?
    Can the poo affect so much? I noticed some vomits did this before, when his BG went really low afterwards but we did more units back then, and with AMPS of 370 and 1.5 to go this low...

38. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

I am at work and cant update the sheet but now, half hour later, 60!! We are administering a bit of sauce with another portion of food. I can only guide from work.

39. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

I am at a loss about what is going on and my heart is shrinking of fear, not being there to help.

40. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Do you have any honey or something similar to give him? And / or some high carb food. The honey will work quicker.
    Keep testing each 1/2 hour if he is dropping and until you get him up to 90 if you can. 60 is a safe number but with SLGS you want to bring him up higher.
    Seeing you have dropped again below 90 I think you should take the reduction and give 1.25 units next dose.
    He looks like he bounced last night from the low numbers yesterday morning and is now coming off the bounce hence the low numbers.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Manu & Porto likes this.
  41. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Change you subject line to 'dropped to 60. SLGS please help' .or similar to get some eyes on you.
    I won't be online much longer. But I will try and find someone to help you.
    @Shawna & Davidson @Kris & Teasel are either of you able to help here please. I will be heading to bed soon. Thanks

Manu & Porto likes this.
  42. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm only here a short while longer unfortunately. I think a dose reduction is in order.

43. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Thanks for stopping by Kris

Manu & Porto likes this.
  44. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

Thank you both! I am at work and its chaos today so Im limited in communication. I wil definetly drop the dose at the pm.

We are giving honey and sauce from royal canin gastro inestinal and for now he went to 80. In 30 min we check again.
    Thank you both so much, I have to keep it short, boss is watching so I can only update now and then :(

I hope he starts to go up soon. Will try to change the title, first time Im trying.

45. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That's good he is on the way up. Just be aware that honey only lasts about an hour to an hour and a half and the food about two hours so you will need to keep checking.
    You and your BF are doing well! I know it must be very hard stuck at work with this going on at home and the boss breathing down your neck:(:bighug:

46. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

96. 1:10 h since food and honey. In one hour we feed again, his usual portion and before the feeding, we check again to see the number.

It is killing me being here at work but good news he is rising, it is the last day and thank you for being here to guide us!!

I think we are in a safe zone now, if he droos we give sauce again with the next meal but I doubt he will be dropping as much, again.

Pm is going to be 1.25 Units as you adviced, a reduction.

Thanks again, night time there, right?, so have a good night!! Lots of hugs and love from us your way! :bighug:

47. Bron and Sheba (GA)

96, that's good. We can all relax a bit now, and he is getting to the latter part of the cycle now.
    Good to check in an hour.
    Last day at work then you can relax. :)
    Tomorrow I would start a new post as we do a new post each day. But I can see why you just added today to yesterday's post as you were at work under the eager eye of the boss.
    I'll check in to see how you are both doing tomorrow.

Manu & Porto likes this.
  48. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

Thank you so much, Bron! I will start a new post tomorrow, Im not sure how it works but I will start one everyday and I think you paste the link from the day before, also. Thank you for suggesting! We see you then :) <3?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.