PMPS dose?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Mphair84, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

I just tested Tuffy at 136. I'm heading out for a walk with the dog. When I get back it will be about 35 mins. I do not want to skip a dose, and I also want to stay on track. I'm stalling for now, but if his BG doesn't raise I was thinking of still giving a little insulin. Suggestions, you all know more than me. I was thinking maybe 1/2 u? He's on 2.25 now.

2. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

I would say you can give more than .25 if he is rising when you return from your walk he had 2.25 this am and it seems the dose is just lasting longer today. Perhaps some of the other members will chime in on dosing as I do not feel comfortable giving specific dosing advice ...

3. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

So I just got back. He did rise a little, (almost exactly like last time) so I reduced dose to 1.5. that worked out okay and his AMPS was 306. I ALMOST gave 1.75, but then panicked. My thought process was that he was ALMOST in the yellow the morning after, so I was thinking the same dose would hopefully not disrupt the schedule so much.

I don't know if I was wrong, but I'm sure someone will set me right. :)

I was wondering, I adjusted this dose to 2.25 at the PMPS. Should I have waited till the morning? I know cats run differently at night so maybe I was off setting the schedule.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I see you gave 1.5 u and it worked out OK. That's the way we figure it out - try something reasonable, be prepared to monitor and see what happens.

5. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as wrong. You have gather information by making safe dosing choices and seeing where it leads you

6. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

Trial and error. I'm forced to figure it out and by doing so I learn. Next time I MAY raise it a little, depending on the situation.

I like seeing the blues, but it's way more stressful on me to figure out the dosing.

7. Kris & Teasel

That stress will lessen over time. You'll become more confident in your ability to decide on a safe dose and to handle any kitty shenanigans if she decides to drop lower than you'd like.

Mphair84 likes this.
  8. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

When I change his does should I do so in the AMPS or at PMPS? Does it matter?

9. Kris & Teasel

Either is OK but most of us like to do it in the AM. You could also wait until the weekend if you won't be home to monitor tomorrow.

10. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

That's a good plan. Next time I change the dose. Can I still stick with the 2.25?

11. Kris & Teasel

You can try that.

Mphair84 likes this.