PMPS levels much lower than normal.. what dose to give?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michele & Theo, Apr 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michele & Theo

Michele & Theo Member

Took Theo's PMPS value about 1/2 hr ago and it is 11.1 mmol/L, This is the lowest since the end of March when I had a reading of 8.2 mmol/L. His PMPS readings are usually in high teens or in the 20's mmol/L. I am feeding him and will retest after 1 hr and if it goes above 12 will give him his regular dose (what I was advised to do by emerg VET the last time he did this). If he stays in the same zone (ie <12 mmol/L), should I halve the dose?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Usually we recommend shooting anything over 200 if you're able to test

The problem with feeding and then testing again an hour later is that the number will be influenced by the food.....so we'd expect them to be higher....but what happens when that food isn't in the picture?

3. Michele & Theo

Michele & Theo Member

Yes I expect the levels would go up (it did previously when he had the one lower reading), I just don't want to not give him something of a dose as his levels are usually so much higher! His levels are generally in the mid to high 200's pre- injection. This is an anomaly....

4. Michele & Theo

Michele & Theo Member

His BG level at +1 hour post PMPS was 20 mmol/L (360 mg/dl) so I gave him his regular dose. He ate his usual amount of food within that hour time frame. I will monitor him for the next few hours.

MindyC and Chris & China (GA) like this.
  5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I just have to add.....Theo is gorgeous!!

SuziB and AliceMeowliss (GA) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.