Poked myself

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by June F, May 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. June F

June F New Member

This has been an awful two weeks between finding out my cat has diabetes to him developing a fever and the vet wanting to keep him multiple days during his gluclose testing.

I ended up taking him home and was able to get rid of the fever completely. I think he was just scared, because he has diagnosed anxiety, but they didn’t believe it.

Anyway, tonight was the first night of giving him insulin. I was having trouble holdIng him and giving the 2 insulin.

I ended up resticking him 4 times and then I accidentally poked myself and bled. The insulin was still in syringe but I don’t think it got in me. Which terrified me.

Then I was wrapping the syringe in a little plastic bag after giving him a new dose of insulin and I poked myself again with needle i used on him through my Schnucks grocery bag.

So I’m terrified I’ve contracted something from the dirty needles. I’m also breastfeeding my 3 mo. old, so I’m scared of something being passed to her. I’m just exhausted and scared.

Has this happen to anyone else? I called the emergency vet after the first time I poked myself, but not after the second. They said I would be fine, but I’m still worried.

2. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Oooooooo YES. Plenty of times.
    I've given myself a touch of insulin and also a B12 zinger, not to mention sticking myself so many times during an ear test.
    I think me and my old Ty are blood brothers now and I am not even male.

You will be fine.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi June, I have poked myself several times both before and after giving the shot and have had no ill affects.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  4. June F

June F New Member

Thank you!

What about poking myself through the grocery bag? Could that have given me something?

I’m so worried I’ll pass something to my baby through the breastmilk.

I’m just anxious giving insulin bc I’ve never used needles and it’s intimidating.

5. June F

June F New Member

Also, I think I touched the grey part of the sterile part of the insulin container, should I just leave it be or sterilize it somehow?

6. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I think it will all be ok.

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Yes, I poked myself once. Nothing BG to worry about.

8. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

There is no harm in wiping the top of the insulin pen/vial with some rubbing alcohol. Just let it dry totally before you stick a syringe in it next (only because I wouldn't want to introduce any alcohol into the insulin, albeit a ridiculously small amount, nor would I want the syringe to pick up any alcohol that would then maybe sting the kitty?)

Also one question: Is a grocery bag your standard method of disposal? You need to check on the disposal rules in your country/state/county for disposal, but regardless I would suggest either having a needle clipper and immediately clipping off the needle, or having either a purchased sharps disposal container or some other hard plastic container like an empty laundry detergent bottle that you drop the whole syringe into. Your municipality rules then dictate what to do with a full container. I personally use a needle clipper (Amazon or walmart), but a note that I also never actually recap the syringe either, because the only times that I have ever poked myself were when trying to recap the needle before clipping it (or dropping it in a container). Oh and if you use a needle clipper, you then just throw the needle-less syringes in the regular garbage.

If you have any questions just holler, but in general you should be just fine. It'll get easier.

Best,
    Sandi.

9. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

The last time it happened to me, I started craving cat food a few days later. Then I had some weird desire to start licking the backs of my hands! Go figure.:eek:

It happens to everyone. You are doing good. Those first weeks of diabetes care for your kitteh are tough. You can do all of it at home including the 12 hour curves and other BG testing. You will save money that way.

Longterm feline diabetic care is pretty manageable. I'm glad you took him home. That is the best place for him. Less anxiety. Over time, the diabetes stuff (testing, injections) will just become second nature. It really gets easier. I have Leo trained so well, that he just walks over to the kitchen blanket and lays on it - waiting for the BG test, then the "special treat" right after testing.

10. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Please don't worry about it....there are VERY few diseases that are transmissible between cats and humans in the first place.

Secondly, as long as you're a normally healthy person, even if you were to somehow develop an infection, your immune system is going to pretty much take care of it.

You may have a strange desire for tuna for the next few days though.....and napping in the sunshine will sound like the best idea ever!! ;)

We've all done it and we're still here to tell the tale!

As for insulin....humans generally take doses like 30+ units at a time....even if you were to accidentally inject some into yourself, the amount is so tiny that there's really no risk to you. You can always eat a chocolate bar if you need to

11. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Been there done that.

Don't worry I think we all have at one point or another poked ( you can always test yourself and see how your blood glucose levels are why waste a good drop of blood ) or sticked ourselves with a needle and I don't think any of us has had any problem whatsoever.

As they said maybe some extra meowing or purring ;) nothing mayor but that was probably prone to happen anyway regardless since we are pretty much watching our sugar babies all the time

JeffJ likes this.
  12. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I have poked myself any times, with no ill effects...although my children have commented that they've seen a change in me, lately...

human_cat_by_kamy_hale.jpg

but I dunno...I'm just not seeing it. ;)

13. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

First time mom? You will be fine, your breat milk will be fine and your baby will be fine. I share cereal with one of my cats. He dives into the milk while I'm eating it. I gave up shooing him off.
    Reassurance as far as contaminated breast milk; I used to work at a riding stable when I was nursing. I was sweaty, dirty, all sorts a nasty and would pump without washing a boob. Milk was fine. I would come home and nurse without washing a boob. Milk and baby were fine. o_O:cat:

14. monty_dweezil (GA)

monty_dweezil (GA) Member

Heheh, the first time I poked my thumb (OW!) I was a bit concerned I may go hypo. lol. On 2 teeny tiny units that didn't even go into me anyway. lol.

You'll be fine, and even a needle used to inject your furbaby that then pricks you, won't do anything. Definitely don't worry.

JeffJ likes this.
  15. CatMamaG

CatMamaG Member

Hope it has all calmed down and you are starting to get into a routine!

JeffJ likes this.
  16. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

One of the first times I tried to test Cleo's blood, I didn't realise that I'd poked clean through her ear and into my thumb. I tested the drop of blood. 86!!! That's great for a diabetic cat! I was so excited, until I noticed that I was bleeding and she wasn't. 86 is pretty average for a nondiabetic human. LOL

CatMamaG, JeffJ and Sharon14 like this.
  17. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Jenna & Kitsu (GA) Member

As long as your baby's first word isn't "meow", I believe everything will be alright.

But in all seriousness - don't worry, everything should be fine. I became Kitsu's blood sister on my second morning of testing. No ill effects, although I do have an urge to hiss at people sometimes.

CatMamaG and Ana & Frosty (GA) like this.
  18. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Been there as well, LOL. I washed it well with soap and water and put a bandaid on for a little while. I suggest getting one of those red containers at CVS where you can dispose of sharps. You can mail it to the company to have it safely disposed of in an environmentally friendly way. I know that's an added expense, but we have been using those and it definitely lessens the chances of someone getting accidentally stuck. Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.