Polly update & thoughts on treatment

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Robert and Echo, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

My EX-sister-in law, promoted years ago to sister, brought her newly diagnosed cat, Polly, home about 10 days ago expecting to watch her cat to die that night since she was in DKA. Two vets told her to not even consider insulin injections because Polly the cat has to be sedated at the vet even for a simple blood drawer.

Ms. Pushy here harassed poor sister into going and getting some insulin (just N for now) and injecting her cat. Well, miracles! Polly's ketones dropped dramatically and today her ketodiastix says she has almost no glucose in her urine.

This is a very low tech treatment, not the one we would prefer. I have been using Deb Greco DVM's protocol for urine testing to keep Polly alive. I know many of you do not agree with this. I don't think it is the best treatment but after many decades of being a General Surgeon, I have learned that you do the best that you can.

Polly is alive, her mom is happy with every day Polly survives. I've sent a glucometer to mom and am still working on getting her to do home testing but I think this is an excellent example of how even low tech maintenance can work.

Some of us do the ultimate and beyond when it comes to testing. Kudos! But not everyone can do that. Even if Polly survives two weeks beyond her original diagnosis, I consider this a success. Polly is alive, Mom is grateful, although aware this may be a temporary reprieve.

Please, be gentle with newbies. Start low, go slow should not only apply to insulin administration but also how we treat newcomers.

Big hugs to you all,
    Rebecca

2. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

ahhh wonderful news. may the good vines continue and polly remain on the upward swing of things. job well done

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

That is wonderful news. Hopefully you were also able to convince Polly's mom to also join FDMB, even if she only just reads the postings. We all know how much newbies learn just by reading the info and our comments.

4. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

how wonderful to read that polly is still alive and your exSIL amenable to some treatment.
    might i suggest also mixing water in with her canned food if she isn't already? ketotic kitties can also get very dehydrated (as can any diabetic).

funny thing is, one of my civies (DH's really) was ex feral and terrified of everything. but tho he had major panic attacks at nail clipping he was very calm when i ear tested him (i did it monthly). he was not really a lap snuggler but food was his everything so i'd bring some treats and sit on a step and when he came to my lap i'd ear test him quickly. my favorite trick was to ear test him while my DH was clipping his nails. during his major freakout with the nail clipping he'd never even NOTICE when i'd sneak in there and test his ear. i kept the meter's beep turned off and like i said did this as quickly as possible and he didn't even flinch.

again, so happy that polly is doing much better. :)

5. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Yay!!!

Roni and Moonie did urine testing for a long, long time. She might be able to offer some suggestions. She eventually learned to hometest, so she can also offer some encouragement.

6. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Morning!! Yes we did urine testing for 11 months and Moonie was just fine--We used Purina Glucotest Urine Detection System(available on amazon.com), which is small squares put into the litter box--A package lasts for a week & what you do is scoop out the urine & open to find the squares(scoopable litter)--When cat pees on the squares the indicate the color which shows what the reading is. It worked for us as Moonie will not let me use the sticks. Runs when I come near litter box.
    Please understand that urine testing is the cat's urine glucose reading from 3-6 hours ago, not up to the minute reading.
    It took me 11 months for her to calm down, so I could bg test--When I bg test now, I give her a snack, & while she has her back turned & is eating, I do the ear prick..
    She did finally learn that food is associated with the test & runs to her spot now!!
    I know how stressful the beginnings can be, but it will get better--
    I will be glad to help in anyway I can--Jojo managed her outdoor cat Bunny for many many years by urine testing--
    Please feel free to contact me--Glad Polly is doing well! Keep up the good work!

7. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

That's wonderful news! :) I've got my fingers crossed for Polly and her mom.

8. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

Ditto. So glad to hear Polly is hanging in there.

And ditto with the rest of your post. We have to work with what we have, and sometimes, thinking outside the box is the way to go. After all, protocols were developed **by** thinking outside the box, you know?

Best-
    Michele

9. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Yes, very well said Rebecca. I too am glad Polly is doing better.

I also have one of those sister-in-laws that is like a sister to me. Glad you were able to be of so much help to her and Polly. Thanks for the update.

10. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

Low tech maintenance worked for Smokie. It saved her life. She has been diet controlled
    2 years June 22nd.

I practiced over and over until i was able to catch
    smokie's urine in a tiny container for testing.

It was not easy getting her there but soooo worth it.

Good luck to Polly.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/p ... php?9,6703

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.