? Pooper's glucose numbers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by rbrumbaugh82, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbrumbaugh82

rbrumbaugh82 Guest

Am I doing something right? Pooper's went down to 72. This is at +3 since I last tested him at 223. I gave him his usual dose. I just fed him food but he seems perkier. Just hope this could be the start of something good but then again he was in the blues the other day before going way up.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

You seem to be on the right track. You should test at +4 and maybe +5 or +6 depending upon what the +4 shows. It may be that 5 1/2 is too muh.

3. rbrumbaugh82

rbrumbaugh82 Guest

IF he drops like that again, I may need to ask everyone who knows what is going on what dosage I need to finally drop down to? 5 units or 4.5?

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I do not thing there is a magic dosage fro Poopers. Based on your expereince Pooper just may through a low BG not and then. My Badger used to do that. He would be doing good and then hit me with a BG below 100@+3

5. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to disagree with that. This is the first time Poopers has been getting a consistent dose of Lantus and now his depot's filling, he's getting better numbers - exactly as we'd expect to see. Oh and BTW Ryan - thank you for proving me wrong and sticking with the dose this time! That's one of the ways I really like to be proved wrong in any situation!! :D

6. rbrumbaugh82

rbrumbaugh82 Guest

No problem April! I knew what I was doing the last time but I took a risk and luckily he didn't have bad issues with it. I know the consistency needed for any insulin user and I know you can't just change dosages around. I'd like to think somewhere around the 5.5 mark is his dose. I took his glucose short while ago and its into the 200s now so I believe going down. When I go to take it again in about an hour I'll be curious to know where it is and if its went down further. I was told by a few other members that Pooper's qualifies for the insulin reduction but not sure if everyone else agrees who are pretty sure on dosing. However, I don't want to have a scary scene where he is down around 200 and I'm still suppose to give him 5.5 units and see him down into the 50's and 60's before I head to bed.

manxcat419 likes this.
  7. manxcat419

Sounds like it's all good news for you and Poopers today then - getting back down into the 200s seems like he's clearing that bit of a bounce fairly quickly! :D

I think I'd probably take the reduction - I think he's proved himself ready for it as he was well under 90. You can always take it back up again if you find his numbers don't stay leveled out for you in a couple of days, but it would at least let his depot reduce that little bit to hopefully stop him continuing to drop further overnight. Of course in the end that one's up to you - he didn't go under 50 so the dose isn't taking him into danger levels either. :)

8. rbrumbaugh82

rbrumbaugh82 Guest

Yeah they aren't leveled out just yet. He went back up almost 100 points since last check so I gave him his 5.5 units.

9. manxcat419

That does happen to begin with while a cat's still a little bit bouncy from being new to lower numbers. He'll get there - well, he's clearly already getting there...better every day! :D And as bounces go, it's fairly mild overall. If you can get a +2 test, or fairly close to it, that should help to give you a good idea of where he's likely to go this evening - that way you have time to put his latest number up here and figure out whether he's likely to need testing later on in the evening before it gets so late that you're tired and people here are going offline for the night. :)

10. rbrumbaugh82

rbrumbaugh82 Guest

I guess I've been testing wrong in the evenings. I have been just giving him his shot and then waiting +4 to test him because I figure that is when the insulin will start working on him.

11. manxcat419

It's not wrong to get a +4 at all. It's just the +2 is the one that can often tell us how active the cycle is likely to be especially when the depot is full so is also helping to keep the numbers down before the new shot takes full effect - it's useful when you're trying to plan whether or not you might have to allow for a later night. It's one of the tests a lot of us like to get because it can either tell you that you can most likely relax and just get one more test before bed, or that you might have to be a bit more on top of the monitoring for that cycle. :) Generally on SLGS you can be that bit more relaxed with testing, but while it looks as though Poopers might be liking dropping down a bit at night, I think the +2 might be worthwhile just until you find out if the dose is going to gradually take him lower and lower each day. :)

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.