Poorly Purdy Cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Leah & Paul, Feb 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leah & Paul

Leah & Paul New Member

Hi all. I have just been given the link link to this site from or emergency vet. Purdy was diagnosed with dieabities in October. We have been giving her insulin twice a day since. But not having great results. This morning I'm came down to her half way under the kitchen cupboard and not moving. I put her on a blanket and gave her sugar water through an oral seringe until she started to come round then took her to the vet.
    From this we now know we need a meter. But which one and what do we do with the results.
    Sorry for the long post.
    Paul

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning and welcome Leah, Paul and Purdy. I'm very sorry to hear that Purdy had a hypo event and very glad you caught it and got Purdy to the ER vet. Yes, you do need to test, it's the best tool you have to keep Purdy safe and see how the insulin is affecting her.
    Please post in the Main Health forum HERE and tell us where you are in the world, as we have members from all over and supplies can vary. Most of us use human meters for availability and cost savings, and our protocols were written for human meters.
    Tell us more about Purdy, what kind of insulin she is on, what the dosage is, what her diet is, etc. If you would create a signature that information will display with each of your posts and we will not have to ask the same questions again. Here is a link on how to do that: SIGNATURE
    We have a spreadsheet that we use here to track the home testing data. You test before each injection to be sure it is safe to shoot, and then also during the mid-cycle to see how low the blood sugar level goes, to see if the insulin dose needs to be adjusted at some point. The spreadsheet is linked to the signature and members can see the data to make recommendations. When you post on the Main forum we can give you more info on that, I just don't want to overwhelm you with information here in the Welcome forum.
    I suggest you take a look at the FAQs forum to begin learning more about Feline Diabetes and treatment. FAQS
    We are here to help and walk with you on this new journey. Best wishes going forward. :cat:

3. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and little Purdy! Idjit's mom gave you a very good introduction and links to how and where to start. Don't be afraid to ask questions, you will always find people ready to help !

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome... Word of warning, cats can be very insulin sensitive after a major hypo. Don't give another shot without testing. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home. What dose were you giving him? What did the vet tell you you should do now going forward?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.