? Possible bounce?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Frank's Mom, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Frank's insulin has been increased as of yesterday to 2U 2x per day. My vet suggested I wait till Saturday when I'm home to watch for any hypo episode (but since I'm home testing and he's pretty much high and flat all the time) I upped it to 1.5 last night and again this morning. I'm getting readings in the 400s. (I did a +2 and a +3 last night but forgot to mark them, and can't remember exactly what they were. I'll have to check when I get home this evening.) His AMPS was higher than it's ever been, so I'm wondering if he's bouncing right now? How much data do I realistically need to track it? I did give him dry food last night around the +3 mark (about 1/8 of a cup) but otherwise I'm sticking to the Friskies pate all the time, so I don't really think this morning's number was dry food related. What do I need to worry about if he is bouncing? Is there a risk of a hypo episode, or will he just probably stay high for a bit till his body adjusts to the new dose (which I'm going to increase again on Sat to the full 2U 2x per day).

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This looks like bouncing and/or not enough insulin yet. It can be hard to tell them apart until you get to a dose that starts giving you some blue at least. Some mid cycle tests during the day today would be useful. Dry food can definitely affect BG numbers. It's tricky to increase the insulin dose and eliminate the dry at the same time. We recommend keeping a dose while eliminating the kibble and monitoring carefully to avoid a hypo. Once that's accomplished you can address the dose.

Frank's Mom likes this.
  3. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

OMG...I can't wait for some blues. Trying to be patient while we get him regulated...well, patience isn't really my strong suit!! I can't get any tests today, because of work, but maybe tonight I'll do a full 12 hours worth, and I can definitely do it tomorrow and Sunday. So by Monday morning I should have a good idea of what's going on.

In the meantime, I guess I sit and dream of blue numbers and some under 200 BG tests!! :)

4. Kris & Teasel

Patience is what will keep you sane in this marathon! :)

5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Every 2 hours on a 12 hour cycle should be fine, with Prozinc they don't drop very fast, it's one of the longer duration insulins :)

6. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Well, we're looking pretty decent tonight! Hoping a few days at this higher dose will show some number improvments....yikes, this is going to get expensive if we have to increase much more.

StephG likes this.
  7. Yong & Maury GA

Did they give you a smaller vial to start with? I'm still on the first vial of insulin with Maury.

8. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

It has 400U in it. So at 1u 2x a day I was thinking oh, that's not so bad, it'll last 200 days, for about $115. Now we're at 2u 2x a day, so that's only 100 days. I'm hoping the 2u will even him out in the next few days....

9. Yong & Maury GA

Ok so standard 10mL vial. Didn't think it came any other way but was just checking :). You can see Maury's dose has increased and if this vial lasts 2 more weeks, that will be a full 3 months on 1 vial. About $40 a month. I have been caring for him with zero income. First pay cheques are going to credit cards :smuggrin:

10. Kris & Teasel

I like those glimpses of yellow! :)

Rachel and Frank's Mom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.