Possible Diabetes Cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa & Nacho, Dec 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa & Nacho

Lisa & Nacho Member

Hello - my name is Lisa. I have a 5 1/2 year orange tabby cat (male). He was about 16/17 lbs and recently has dropped to 13.3 lbs.

I took him to the vet yesterday - he was dehydrated and they did blood work and gave him some fluids. I found out today that his sugar level came back very high (around 500). :(

I didn't speak to my vet since it's Saturday but spoke to another that she suspects diabetes. My vet was originally looking for kidney/liver function issues.

My question is - is it possible for a diet change before I jump right into insulin? Any recommendations about next steps?

They mentioned having to possibly board him for a few days to regulate and check him out more. My vet also said since he is only 5 there is a good chance of regulating it early..

I'm very nervous - please offer advice and suggestions :) thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

What a cutie pie! Your story sounds a bit like mine as far as finding out Uncle was a diabetic. He stayed at the vet for a few days to get re-hydrated, tested for ketoacidosis and an evaluation for a starting dose of insulin.
    Since Uncle was already on a wet food diet, I didn't have to worry about switching while I started insulin. Someone more experienced should come along here soon to give you sound advice about that.
    I know what you mean about being nervous, whew, this message board has restored my sanity more than a few times. It's great that you found your way here. Be sure to read (and re-read the stickies) and ask as many questions as need be as you go along. Great to hear that your vet thinks your guy has a great chance of getting regulated sooner than later!

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

The best time to change food is before starting insulin. The change from high to low carb can lower the blood glucose and cause hypoglycemia. Some cats can have their glucose controlled with diet only, no insulin. So start kitty on a wet low carb food and pick up a glucose meter. Many here get a Region meter at Walmart. The strips are less expensive than for a pet meter. There are videos that you can watch to teach you how to test at home. Check out You tube.

4. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

I believe I read here that you should give it a solid week before starting the insulin to see how the changes you make to your kitties food affect the BG level. You should start testing before that so you know his starting point.

5. Lisa & Nacho

Lisa & Nacho Member

Thank you! First week on new food! He LOVES fancy feast classics pate! Hated the vet prescription food (I told him I hated it too haha because of the price).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.